• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent Advice Needed Please!

Hello,

On Wednesday of last week I bought a new rabbit. On Thursday evening I noticed there was some yellow drainage by his nose, it wasn't sticky like discharge just more like liquid coloured yellow. He had it by both nostrils and also above his nose.

I got him to the vet on Friday who has put him on Baytril and some wormer, the vet advised that even though there were no symptoms when he saw the rabbit my description of the symptoms I had seen the night before were enough to treat him. He said it could possibly be a respiratory problem but wouldn't commit to a certain diagnosis.

Fortunately I've been at home with the rabbit since I bought him, I'm probably being a little paranoid but I've seen him sneeze on three occasions. Is that likely to be related to the problem or would it be more persistent if that was the case? He also has a tiny bit of eye discharge but I would say that is normal, and is grey in colour when wiped away.

Apart from that the bunny is perky, friendly and full of energy. Any advice or opinions would be welcome as I feel as though I'm going out my mind researching all the possible causes and outcomes on the net!

I'm already very attached to him, just like the rest of my pets, but where I bought him from offers a 7 day guarantee so if I'm looking at a lifelong problem that could lead to death I'm trying to save myself some heartache. :cry:

The sneezing could be related, but i would say that if the bun is still on baytril then he is getting the correct treatment just now

The eye discharge, is it like 'sleep' in a human? My buns get this every day and i wipe it off.

The sneezing could be related, but i would say that if the bun is still on baytril then he is getting the correct treatment just now

The eye discharge, is it like 'sleep' in a human? My buns get this every day and i wipe it off.

Thanks for the quick response Kermit. :)
Yes, that's how I would describe the eye discharge. I don't think it's anything to worry about but just thought considering the nose d/c and occasional sneezing it was worth mentioning.

It sounds as though he has a slight upper Respiratory Tract infection. This can be triggered by stress such as that which occurs in Petshop Rabbits.

Hopefully the antibiotics will clear it up. I would add a probiotic to the Rabbits water, something like Avipro Plus

Unfortunately when we take on a Pet we take on the risk of 'heartache' as ANY animal can become ill at any time. IMO returning him to the shop would be an awful thing to do as the shop may not feel it to be financially worthwhile to treat him and he may just be PTS :cry:

It sounds as though he has a slight upper Respiratory Tract infection. This can be triggered by stress such as that which occurs in Petshop Rabbits.

Hopefully the antibiotics will clear it up. I would add a probiotic to the Rabbits water, something like Avipro Plus

Unfortunately when we take on a Pet we take on the risk of 'heartache' as ANY animal can become ill at any time. IMO returning him to the shop would be an awful thing to do as the shop may not feel it to be financially worthwhile to treat him and he may just be PTS :cry:

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I am praying that the antibiotics will clear it up but have read lots on the internet (probably too much!) about it possibly being something that will reoccur frequently :(

Having had around thirty pets in my lifetime already I know all about the joys and the heartaches. :) My problem with this particular situation is that I was sold a rabbit and was told he was healthy, only for it to become apparent he isn't less than 24 hours later. They have refunded me for the initial vet treatment (which was more than I paid for the rabbit!), and the manager has agreed to pay for his check up also but nothing further than that.

Snuffles??? That reoccurs, but the bun that i have that has snuffles copes on baytril when shes got it and is ok at other times.She lives with her brother who has been treated for it once in 2 yrs.

Snuffles??? That reoccurs, but the bun that i have that has snuffles copes on baytril when shes got it and is ok at other times.She lives with her brother who has been treated for it once in 2 yrs.

Hi Yvette, do you mind me asking what kind of symptoms your rabbit shows when she has snuffles?

I did wonder if it was this but thought the discharge was more thick and persistent, whereas my bun has just had a very watery yellow d/c on a couple of occasions.

Hi Yvette, do you mind me asking what kind of symptoms your rabbit shows when she has snuffles?

I did wonder if it was this but thought the discharge was more thick and persistent, whereas my bun has just had a very watery yellow d/c on a couple of occasions.

She has a wet nose,sneezes and wet paws where she wipes her nose.Your vet could be right...it may just be a one off resp.infection,
She is a chronic bun with lots of other problems too.
I maybe wrong, but it maybe worth having the teeth looked at on your bunny as Ive heard a snotty nose can be caused by teeth problems which can vary bun to bun.My Lils has to have her front teeth burred every 5 weeks as she has malocclusion too.:roll:
I pay £9.70 for this.A little price to pay in my opinion, as her cheek teeth are fine.
Hope ive not got you thinking Oh Heavens.....but Lils (bless her) is a one of a kind bunny!!!!

Back