• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unnecessary Baytril??

SuzieBlue

Young Bun
Hi, hoping someone has some words of wisdom!
My girl mini-lop Phoebe was a bit off-colour on Saturday morning - fine on Friday night but wouldn't have breakfast, seemed uncomfortable and felt a bit cold, so I took her to the vet straight away. They couldn't find anything obviously wrong, but suspected that she'd maybe banged her back or a paw during the night and was in a bit of pain. No cuts or scrapes or anything. She got two injections - one painkiller and one gut stimulant - and I also got a course of antibiotics to give her "just in case". My vet always does this and I can't really understand it.
After I got Pheebs home she perked up and warmed up, and in the evening ate a full bowl of food (and later on a second one), some parsley and had a run about the house. I tried to give her the antibiotic from the syringe but she took one sniff, grunted, bit me then grabbed the syringe and tossed it in the air and ran off!! I don't think she likes it....... (she wouldn't eat any treats with the Baytril on either)
She ate fine yesterday and this morning, is really perky and generally back to normal - no sign of pain or grumpiness, is pooping and peeing normally, so given this should I persevere and give her antibiotics? I don't think they're at all necessary... help!

Personally I would call the Vet who prescribed the Baytril to ask that question. I would not be happy to give antibiotics unnecessarily but I cannot advise you not to do so. Only your Vet can do that.

I am glad Phoebe appears to have recovered :)

i agree with jane about ringing the vets and explaining. in the same situation we get given pain relief and a gut stimulant, nothing else. if she seemed fine after the pain relief and gut meds i wouldn't personally give the baytril. i can't see what it would be for.. :?

you know her best, but there may be a reason the vet gave baytril aswell so best check. if it's just in case, in this situation it does seem unnecessary though.

Back