• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent help needed - indoor flooring issue

pigsforlife

Mama Doe
The blurb:
As you all probably don't know, we are having to move. The landlord is putting our current house up for sale. We found this new place and have been out to see it today. It is great, suits all of our needs etc. The BRILLIANT thing is that the landlord is cool with the animals indoors so no more hiding animals :lol:

Anyway, the rabbits and guinea pigs will get to have their OWN room. I haven't measured it yet but it is a decent size. Probably similar to what they have now if not bigger. This room is off a long hallway, and the hallway itself has a room at one end, rooms off each side and a door at the other so we can shut all the doors - this will keep the dogs out and the buns will have a whole hallway to play in when I am home. They might also get access to my room. So overall they will get PLENTY of space - much more than they have now.

Now my issue;
The entire house is tiled. This is great for the dogs but I don't know how the buns will do on the tiles. So does anyone have any experience with keeping buns on tiles? Can they run around ok? If they have issues, what do you suggest to fix the problem?

There is PLENTY of interest in the house which is why this is urgent. We need to work out an affordable plan if tiles are a no go.

Mine are fine on tiles. They may slip a little at first but they get used to it.
If its a big issue with yours you could put down some rugs.

Off cut of lino/vinyl taped down with masking tape/gaffer tape, a piece of carpet, rugs, or interlocking foam mats is what I would suggest :wave:

I would just put down some rugs.

I have lino, then rugs onthe lino. I got the rugs from Ikea, they were £13 and are quite big.
But they do fit in my washing machine in case of any accidents :)

Thanks guys :)

I was thinking maybe a rug - it would fill a portion of the room, but not all so I dont know if that is a problem or not. I suppose having a rug would give them the chance to get used to the tiles.

Ive got this issue too :wave: Im moving in January and the floors are wood/laminate. Mine live on carpet atm so im worried how they'll cope with a smooth surface :?
I think i'll go down the rug route so that they have some soft surface and some of the smooth surface so that they have a chance to get used to it slowly :)

We have decided against the place I was keen on as we found a nearby suburb which is more new, and has better houses for the same price. We have two that we have ear marked. Either way they are likely to be on tiles/wood/laminate.

we have wooden laminate and whilst Indiana is ok - is either of them gets a frights its all frantic skidding! bless them....so I got a runner rug....and plan to get another or bigger one - it works really great. If they binky or do a sudden strat it doesnt move & if they get mucky bums - its really easy to rub/scrub off and the weave still looks fine. They dont seem interested in chewing it either. It was cheap - like £10 from a market.

It actually looks like this but mine was much cheaper...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Long-Sisal-St...591266&cguid=cf20b54c1270a0aad5077307ff4077d3

The blurb:
As you all probably don't know, we are having to move. The landlord is putting our current house up for sale. We found this new place and have been out to see it today. It is great, suits all of our needs etc. The BRILLIANT thing is that the landlord is cool with the animals indoors so no more hiding animals :lol:

Anyway, the rabbits and guinea pigs will get to have their OWN room. I haven't measured it yet but it is a decent size. Probably similar to what they have now if not bigger. This room is off a long hallway, and the hallway itself has a room at one end, rooms off each side and a door at the other so we can shut all the doors - this will keep the dogs out and the buns will have a whole hallway to play in when I am home. They might also get access to my room. So overall they will get PLENTY of space - much more than they have now.

Now my issue;
The entire house is tiled. This is great for the dogs but I don't know how the buns will do on the tiles. So does anyone have any experience with keeping buns on tiles? Can they run around ok? If they have issues, what do you suggest to fix the problem?

There is PLENTY of interest in the house which is why this is urgent. We need to work out an affordable plan if tiles are a no go.

I would cover up the landlords tiles as some tiles are easy to scratch and you could end up having to pay for replacements.

Mine run just fine on the tiles but mine are non slip. I have a runner in the hallway so that might be an option - one or two runners?

Back