• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

does anyone feed no veg or very little?

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
how necessary is veg. bisc and matt can't tolerate much so only have herbs now - parsley, coriander, basil, thyme and dill.

they have dried herbs aswell and i have ordered some things from galens garden aswell to try.

usually you read about feeding approx 5 different types of veg a day, but does that include natural foods aswell? could one of those five be lemon balm or raspberry leaves for example?

i want to feed five different things a day if possible, but i don't like feeding the same five herbs everyday, and this is all they can have now. i would ideally like to subsitute one or two of the herbs each day for something else, apple sticks and leaves for example.

Grimlock has none at all. Literally all he eats are pellets and bread. (He can have porridge and one or two raisins but refuses everything else.)

He has a few stomach problems but after discussing this with my vet we believe it's due to lack of fibre as he doesn't even eat hay.

He's been on this diet for a year and a half (since his teeth/abscess problems) and has been relatively healthy. He's an extreme case though. :?

Grimlock has none at all. Literally all he eats are pellets and bread. (He can have porridge and one or two raisins but refuses everything else.)

He has a few stomach problems but after discussing this with my vet we believe it's due to lack of fibre as he doesn't even eat hay.

He's been on this diet for a year and a half (since his teeth/abscess problems) and has been relatively healthy. He's an extreme case though. :?

very extreme case. fussy bunny! :no:

i'm lucky that bisc and matt eat so much hay, and love lots of different types, so don't know how important veg is really. :?

vet said hay obv, grass, dried herbs and anything that is a leafy green, and anything natural - sticks, leaves etc.

bisc and matt don't have pellets anymore, just a probiotic.

they just can't tolerate anything very well, but i don't want them to be missing out on anything.

:)

People tend to use veg as a catch all term but an type of plant matter (other than grass) would count towards their 'vegetable' portion. That includes dried plants. If you bun is sensitive you might try a meadow hay mix that contain dried plants instead of just hay, or adding dried plants into normal hay. Fresh natural plants often go down better too so things like leaves, weeds etc.

Vegetables aren't strictly necessary, in that that they can get all they need nutrient wise from pellets and hay, but they are good for enrichment, probably better than pellets digestion wise (you'll need more pellets if you feed less veg) etc. However, if vegetables make your bunny unwell then that sort of counteracts the positives.

Vegetable and pellets are there to make sure bunnies get a full range of vitamins and minerals the wouldn't just eating grass, so you need to feed one of the other or a mix not exclusively hay. I guess you could also substitute vitamin supplement but I'd only do that if there was a health reason for not feeding fresh foods or pellets instead. You'd probably also need to feed some higher protein hay as well, particularly as they got older to keep them in good condition.

Grimlock has none at all. Literally all he eats are pellets and bread.
All the rabbit-savvy vets I know say bread is strictly forbidden for rabbits, it mainly contains a lot of starch, which is quite dangerous for their gut flora, may I ask you why does your vet think he needs it? Nutritionally speaking, it adds nothing useful as far as I know and it also puts him at risk of dysbiosis.
I don't know if you've tried, most of the buns I know who have had dental extraction /abscesses and so on, are able to eat veggies if they are chopped very tiny. Some of them also eat Oxbow's Critical Care, which has timothy dried grass as first ingredient and it's quite a good source of proteins and fiber. Sorry if I am suggesting something you've already tried, but I would definitely avoid bread ;)

I'd heard that bread, dried to within an inch of it's life and preferably blackened, is very good for a rabbits teeth. Haven't tried it myself cos I'd probably burn the house down trying :lol: The lady I got Pebbles from told me that and it's in Rabbitlopaedia too (just checked, page 27 :D)

My GI stasis buns ended up on a diet of hay and dried herbs only, which they did well on. I wished I'd started it sooner.

Where did 5 veg a day come from? Sounds like we are treating them like mini humans - must have their 5 a day etc!

Mine get mostly herbs aswell plus grass and dandy leaves etc. They do get the occssional nibble on something else but my Timmys tum is quite gassy so I avoid anything that might upset him ie. brocolli, cabbage etc
Mine do get some pellets in the morning though. Is there no pellets Bisc and Matt can tolerate bits of?
Sorry im not much help, didnt want to read and run!
Just to add aswell mine dont get 5 different veg a day, that sounds alot of work on their little tums to me :?

My boys get a tiny amount of carrot with breakfast as a treat, but no other veg.

They have hawthorn, raspberry leaves, rose petals & leaves, apple leaves, dandelion etc - the severe weather means they're starting on their dried supplies of these things early, but they really enjoy them.

Clo used to get a very sticky bottom, but (touch wood) doesn't get that anymore :)

My bun can't tolerate human veg either. A good selection of culinary herbs & dried wild plants gives excellent nutrition. You may even notice an improvement in their coats. As with any new food they need to be introduced slowly. Safe shrub/tree leaves can be mixed with their hay to increase the fiber content & stimulate the gut naturally too.
If the diet is totally dry, expect their drinking to increase.
A few dandelions or plantains may well hep Bisc's urinary issues cos they are also diuretics & increase urine output.

People tend to use veg as a catch all term but an type of plant matter (other than grass) would count towards their 'vegetable' portion. That includes dried plants. If you bun is sensitive you might try a meadow hay mix that contain dried plants instead of just hay, or adding dried plants into normal hay. Fresh natural plants often go down better too so things like leaves, weeds etc.

Vegetables aren't strictly necessary, in that that they can get all they need nutrient wise from pellets and hay, but they are good for enrichment, probably better than pellets digestion wise (you'll need more pellets if you feed less veg) etc. However, if vegetables make your bunny unwell then that sort of counteracts the positives.

Vegetable and pellets are there to make sure bunnies get a full range of vitamins and minerals the wouldn't just eating grass, so you need to feed one of the other or a mix not exclusively hay. I guess you could also substitute vitamin supplement but I'd only do that if there was a health reason for not feeding fresh foods or pellets instead. You'd probably also need to feed some higher protein hay as well, particularly as they got older to keep them in good condition.

my vet is so funny, he doesn't use or like the term veg, because he says it makes people think of any veg like carrots! i thought he was jokin... he wasn't! :oops: he says leafy greens!

i've never heard of hay with dried plants in. :oops: i would have to add some as bisc and matt have to certain hay because of their respiratory problems.

i need to look up what weeds i can grow. i assume they would grow well! :lol: i just need as many things as possible really to rotate each day/every few days to add variety. :)

any veg that is sugary or gassy seems to really affect them, especially bisc, who has had quite alot of tummy problems, and they both suffer from gas occasionally aswell.

no pellets was mentioned by the vet and so i gradually reduced them and then cut them out altogether. they didn't notice though as the probiotic they have is the protexin one and they look like pellets. because of their problems i will always now give them a probiotic just to make sure they keep well.

i feed oat hays aswell, which i think contain protein, although we do have to watch the seed heads and for extra caecotrophs. but generally they love their oat hay and do well on it. that should help with that side of things aswell. they are 4 years old now, so not old, but they have problems and have been very ill in the past so may need more sooner.

My GI stasis buns ended up on a diet of hay and dried herbs only, which they did well on. I wished I'd started it sooner.

Where did 5 veg a day come from? Sounds like we are treating them like mini humans - must have their 5 a day etc!

bisc and matt do really well on dried herbs aswell. i noticed a big improvement in the condition of their fur with a variety of hays and dried herbs. they seem much healthier when on them, with limited veg and no pellets. and since starting this, i also haven't had to deal with all the tummy troubles they were having last year. they occasionally get gas, this is from stress over their respiratory problems though, not diet related anymore.

i don't know where the five a day came from! just seem to have read alot that people try and feed a variety of 5-6 veggies each day. i never understood if this included other things aswell though, so used to try and feed five 'human' veggies a day, and wasn't very successful. their tummies just didn't seem to beable to handle it.

Mine get mostly herbs aswell plus grass and dandy leaves etc. They do get the occssional nibble on something else but my Timmys tum is quite gassy so I avoid anything that might upset him ie. brocolli, cabbage etc
Mine do get some pellets in the morning though. Is there no pellets Bisc and Matt can tolerate bits of?
Sorry im not much help, didnt want to read and run!
Just to add aswell mine dont get 5 different veg a day, that sounds alot of work on their little tums to me :?

mine both seem to have such sensitive tummies when it comes to fresh food. even grass sometimes sets them off a bit. i have to introduce everything so slowly.

they can both tolerate pellets. they were having oxbow bunny basics but the vet advised no pellets at all, so they were gradually weaned off them and now they have none. they weren't even bothered, and i do feel they are better off them. i think ideally i would have made sure they were having more variety in terms of natural things first before removing the pellets. but they do seem much better on 'dry' and natural things, with a small amount of fresh herbs and grass, and loads and loads of hay of course.

i used to try and feed five a day and also thought it seemed a struggle for them. i think three fresh herbs a day is enough for my two, along with dried herbs, and hay.

My bun can't tolerate human veg either. A good selection of culinary herbs & dried wild plants gives excellent nutrition. You may even notice an improvement in their coats. As with any new food they need to be introduced slowly. Safe shrub/tree leaves can be mixed with their hay to increase the fiber content & stimulate the gut naturally too.
A few dandelions or plantains may well hep Bisc's urinary issues cos they are also diuretics & increase urine output.

i have noticed a massive improvement in all the pets coats, bunnies and piggies, since i changed their diets on the vets advice. i know alot of people don't agree with the no pellets and hardly any veg thing, but i think it has done them all so much good. the more natural the better i think.

i'm so gutted my mum and dad had the willow tree cut down in their garden. they kept it until i left home, as it shaded bisc and matts shed and run. they loved the sticks and leaves from it (bisc and matt, not my mum and dad!) and used to beg for them! :love: we have lots of bushes round the garden wall and i need to find out what they are. it would be great if some were safe for bisc and matt.

bisc loves his dandelion leaves! he must know what helps him! can they have the flower aswell?? i get dried plantain now but have some seeds to try and grow some of my own. i was also going to get some from the willow warren, but i think they are dried aswell, can't remember.

i think i'm getting there with finding new things. i'm glad what i'm doing now with regards to just feeding herbs is ok. i panic sometimes and feel they might be missing out on things. but to be honest, they look great. bisc's coat in particular is amazing now, super shiny!

think i will keep on doing as i am now then, and gradually introducing more things as i discover them, and that way create a better variety each day. i always panic about feeding things daily, and how much to feed. aidan said there is no set amount to feed, or how often, just be sensible and you will see if there is any problems by their urine or poops and how they look and act etc.

next to try is lemon balm, nettle leaves and raspberry leaves from galens garden. hope they will like them. :)

This.

A good quality hay with a selection of grasses combined with the above is sufficient. Buns do not need pellets or human veg if sufficient forage and hay/grass is consumed. I do give mine some human veg but they have not had commercial pellets/mix for years. Many buns who can not tolerate pellets or human veg can get adequate nutrition on a diet of quality hay/grass and wild forage (fresh or dried) :):wave:

My boys get a tiny amount of carrot with breakfast as a treat, but no other veg.

They have hawthorn, raspberry leaves, rose petals & leaves, apple leaves, dandelion etc - the severe weather means they're starting on their dried supplies of these things early, but they really enjoy them.

Clo used to get a very sticky bottom, but (touch wood) doesn't get that anymore :)

thought i had included you on the multi-quote (learnt how to do that today! :D)

these are the kind of natural things i want them to have. i've ordered some raspberry leaves. they love apple twigs and leaves that i buy off the forum.

do you feed these every day? or rotate things for variety?

matt used to get excess caecotrophs alot, but since stopping pellets and introducing dried herbs, he has been fine. the odd time because i fed too much oat hay at once, but apart from that i have seen a great improvement with their tums. :)

my vet is so funny, he doesn't use or like the term veg, because he says it makes people think of any veg like carrots! i thought he was jokin... he wasn't! :oops: he says leafy greens!

i've never heard of hay with dried plants in. :oops: i would have to add some as bisc and matt have to certain hay because of their respiratory problems.

i need to look up what weeds i can grow. i assume they would grow well! :lol: i just need as many things as possible really to rotate each day/every few days to add variety. :)

any veg that is sugary or gassy seems to really affect them, especially bisc, who has had quite alot of tummy problems, and they both suffer from gas occasionally aswell.

no pellets was mentioned by the vet and so i gradually reduced them and then cut them out altogether. they didn't notice though as the probiotic they have is the protexin one and they look like pellets. because of their problems i will always now give them a probiotic just to make sure they keep well.

i feed oat hays aswell, which i think contain protein, although we do have to watch the seed heads and for extra caecotrophs. but generally they love their oat hay and do well on it. that should help with that side of things aswell. they are 4 years old now, so not old, but they have problems and have been very ill in the past so may need more sooner.

bisc and matt do really well on dried herbs aswell. i noticed a big improvement in the condition of their fur with a variety of hays and dried herbs. they seem much healthier when on them, with limited veg and no pellets. and since starting this, i also haven't had to deal with all the tummy troubles they were having last year. they occasionally get gas, this is from stress over their respiratory problems though, not diet related anymore.

i don't know where the five a day came from! just seem to have read alot that people try and feed a variety of 5-6 veggies each day. i never understood if this included other things aswell though, so used to try and feed five 'human' veggies a day, and wasn't very successful. their tummies just didn't seem to beable to handle it.

mine both seem to have such sensitive tummies when it comes to fresh food. even grass sometimes sets them off a bit. i have to introduce everything so slowly.

they can both tolerate pellets. they were having oxbow bunny basics but the vet advised no pellets at all, so they were gradually weaned off them and now they have none. they weren't even bothered, and i do feel they are better off them. i think ideally i would have made sure they were having more variety in terms of natural things first before removing the pellets. but they do seem much better on 'dry' and natural things, with a small amount of fresh herbs and grass, and loads and loads of hay of course.

i used to try and feed five a day and also thought it seemed a struggle for them. i think three fresh herbs a day is enough for my two, along with dried herbs, and hay.

i have noticed a massive improvement in all the pets coats, bunnies and piggies, since i changed their diets on the vets advice. i know alot of people don't agree with the no pellets and hardly any veg thing, but i think it has done them all so much good. the more natural the better i think.

i'm so gutted my mum and dad had the willow tree cut down in their garden. they kept it until i left home, as it shaded bisc and matts shed and run. they loved the sticks and leaves from it (bisc and matt, not my mum and dad!) and used to beg for them! :love: we have lots of bushes round the garden wall and i need to find out what they are. it would be great if some were safe for bisc and matt.

bisc loves his dandelion leaves! he must know what helps him! can they have the flower aswell?? i get dried plantain now but have some seeds to try and grow some of my own. i was also going to get some from the willow warren, but i think they are dried aswell, can't remember.

i think i'm getting there with finding new things. i'm glad what i'm doing now with regards to just feeding herbs is ok. i panic sometimes and feel they might be missing out on things. but to be honest, they look great. bisc's coat in particular is amazing now, super shiny!

think i will keep on doing as i am now then, and gradually introducing more things as i discover them, and that way create a better variety each day. i always panic about feeding things daily, and how much to feed. aidan said there is no set amount to feed, or how often, just be sensible and you will see if there is any problems by their urine or poops and how they look and act etc.

next to try is lemon balm, nettle leaves and raspberry leaves from galens garden. hope they will like them. :)

Neither of mine will eat the raspberry leaves unless there is nothing else which is a shame as they are excellent for dysbiosis and very astringent. I think that in future I shall keep them back for when bun is poorly or in dysbiosis and then try them..... and hope that my buns have the presence of mind to know what is good for them! :roll::)

This.

A good quality hay with a selection of grasses combined with the above is sufficient. Buns do not need pellets or human veg if sufficient forage and hay/grass is consumed. I do give mine some human veg but they have not had commercial pellets/mix for years. Many buns who can not tolerate pellets or human veg can get adequate nutrition on a diet of quality hay/grass and wild forage (fresh or dried) :):wave:

i think i'm lucky then that they love hay so much. they have their main hay and then some treat hays, and will be having the willow warren hay aswell now! :D

i can't believe how much better they seemed from having dried herbs. aidan is a big fan of dried herbs aswell, he says they are really good for them, along with their hay and grass.

the grass is a concern though, they eat loads in spring and summer, or when it's dry and i can pick some. they haven't had any in a while though. it wasn't overly successful being grown inside by me either :oops: i did try that grow your own grass, that didn't do well with them. anything that isn't proper grass sets them off. they have had dried grass before, the readigrass i think, and weren't very well after.

do you think not having grass everyday will mean they aren't getting what they need? or will lots of different hays and herbs etc be enough most of the time?

glad yours have been fine with no pellets. i think bisc and matt seem better off them. :)

Neither of mine will eat the raspberry leaves unless there is nothing else which is a shame as they are excellent for dysbiosis and very astringent. I think that in future I shall keep them back for when bun is poorly or in dysbiosis and then try them..... and hope that my buns have the presence of mind to know what is good for them! :roll::)

i thought they would be very popular. :shock: hope my two like them. anything to help their tums would be great.

i think they definitely know what they need when ill. they are too intelligent not to know! :love:

Don't worry if your bun eats some wild plants/herbs 1 day & not the next. Most buns know exactly what they need to be healthy when it comes to wild plants, so it's hardly surprising that they change from day to day. I offer Thumps a selection & top up on what the flavour of the day is.
They do find it a bit more difficult to select their diet from dried plants rather than fresh.
Take heart Biscandmatt1 there were no such things a rabbit pellets when I was a child. My Peter lived to be 13 on grass & traditional wild plants,with never a days illness. :D

Don't worry if your bun eats some wild plants/herbs 1 day & not the next. Most buns know exactly what they need to be healthy when it comes to wild plants, so it's hardly surprising that they change from day to day. I offer Thumps a selection & top up on what the flavour of the day is.
They do find it a bit more difficult to select their diet from dried plants rather than fresh.
Take heart Biscandmatt1 there were no such things a rabbit pellets when I was a child. My Peter lived to be 13 on grass & traditional wild plants,with never a days illness. :D

:D a natural diet is always going to be better isn't it. age 13 is fantastic. :D

thought i had included you on the multi-quote (learnt how to do that today! :D)

these are the kind of natural things i want them to have. i've ordered some raspberry leaves. they love apple twigs and leaves that i buy off the forum.

do you feed these every day? or rotate things for variety?

matt used to get excess caecotrophs alot, but since stopping pellets and introducing dried herbs, he has been fine. the odd time because i fed too much oat hay at once, but apart from that i have seen a great improvement with their tums. :)

They have hawthorn for elevenses every day - I'm hoping I have enough to get through the winter as it's their favourite :shock:

I've got a stash of brown paper bags and have divided the rose leaves/petals/apple leaves etc between them for in the afternoon, with a few more hawthorn leaves. I feed the bramble/raspberry leaves if they have any sign of a smaller poo or squishy poo, and the have fresh basil leaves a couple of times a week for a treat.

I have only got a few calendula leaves/flowers dried as the frost came so much earlier than expected, but they love those too.

Back