• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

where do you get your herb plants from?

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
we get ours from asda and top up through the week from tesco. they all seem really manky at the minute though. got seven today with my asda order and could only use two of them!

the parsley is ok but the others are awful. bisc and matt only have these as veg so i'm getting a bit worried now!

are they good quality anywhere else?

I started out getting them from Asda but they weren't lasting so started getting the large loose bunches from Tesco at 3 for 2. I split the bunches and leave some in water (like flowers) that last about 3 days and make smaller bunches of the rest and dry them. The buns seem to enjoy them just as much as the fresh. Get carrots with tops on there too. Carrots go in fridge for all of us and tops get dried. They're a big favourite :D

I started out getting them from Asda but they weren't lasting so started getting the large loose bunches from Tesco at 3 for 2. I split the bunches and leave some in water (like flowers) that last about 3 days and make smaller bunches of the rest and dry them. The buns seem to enjoy them just as much as the fresh. Get carrots with tops on there too. Carrots go in fridge for all of us and tops get dried. They're a big favourite :D

ah, never thought of putting them in water. :D i don't tend to buy the packets, they seem worse quality than the normal plants alot of the time. :?

i usually water the plants but it doesn't really make any difference. :(

i attempted to grow my own last year, they did ok for a few weeks then died! :(

eta: meant to say aswell, sometimes the ones in the packets look wet or there is moisture in the bag. if they are dried and then placed in water, will they be ok to use? i opened a bag the other week and knew it was off straight away by the smell, but some seem ok. :)

Last edited:
I bought thyme and basil yesterday from Morrissons. Both look very healthy. The pre-packed looked half-dead so stayed away from that.

The majority of Asda fresh fruit and veg go bad very quickly, both myself and a friend have noticed that. I've stopped buying from there and now get my spring greens and celery from Tesco as they seem the best, plus they're from a fairly local source.

I grew my own parsley this summer but it's not fairing so well at the moment, not a patch on the parsley my grandad grows for me :). And my neighbour has mint in her garden which I took a sample of and potted up, mint grows like wildfire. :lol:

Plus I also bought 2 different types of oregano from a garden centre in the summer, that are doing quite well in a window-box within Pebbles and Barnaby's enclosure. (I managed to destroy the rosemary by breaking it's stem:roll:)

I bought thyme and basil yesterday from Morrissons. Both look very healthy. The pre-packed looked half-dead so stayed away from that.

The majority of Asda fresh fruit and veg go bad very quickly, both myself and a friend have noticed that. I've stopped buying from there and now get my spring greens and celery from Tesco as they seem the best, plus they're from a fairly local source.

I grew my own parsley this summer but it's not fairing so well at the moment, not a patch on the parsley my grandad grows for me :). And my neighbour has mint in her garden which I took a sample of and potted up, mint grows like wildfire. :lol:

Plus I also bought 2 different types of oregano from a garden centre in the summer, that are doing quite well in a window-box within Pebbles and Barnaby's enclosure. (I managed to destroy the rosemary by breaking it's stem:roll:)

oh great! mint grows well and they all don't like mint! i would go as far as to say bisc hates it! he was most offended when i offered it to him! :shock::lol:

i am going to try to grow my own again. i don't know what went wrong last time. they did well for a few weeks and then sadly passed away :(

don't think i've ever been in morrisons! :shock: we have one not far from us either. might have to try there, well send o/h there anyway! :lol:

Personally, unless buying live plants I would avoid Tescos herbs like the plague. The reason Tescos cut plants last so long is that I believe Tesco uses a very strong chlorine solution to wash the vegetation before packaging. Chlorine kills bacteria - including the good ones in bunny's caecum and on EVERY occasion I have used Tescos pre-cut herbs/veg, and other members on here too, acute dysbiosis has occured, even in my robust stomached rabbit!

Might make us sound like snobs but we buy ALL our bunny veg/herbs in Waitrose. They do huge packets of pre-cut herbs that are not overly washed or treated first, when washing them tons of sand/dirt comes out, and Waitrose herbs have never ever upset my buns, I couldn't live without Waitrose. Sainsburys' is ok in desperation but the only thing I would use from Tesco is the seasonal organic carrots with tops as these have not been chlorine washed and again produce a lot of sand/dirt on washing.

Personally, unless buying live plants I would avoid Tescos herbs like the plague. The reason Tescos cut plants last so long is that I believe Tesco uses a very strong chlorine solution to wash the vegetation before packaging. Chlorine kills bacteria - including the good ones in bunny's caecum and on EVERY occasion I have used Tescos pre-cut herbs/veg, and other members on here too, acute dysbiosis has occured, even in my robust stomached rabbit!

Might make us sound like snobs but we buy ALL our bunny veg/herbs in Waitrose. They do huge packets of pre-cut herbs that are not overly washed or treated first, when washing them tons of sand/dirt comes out, and Waitrose herbs have never ever upset my buns, I couldn't live without Waitrose. Sainsburys' is ok in desperation but the only thing I would use from Tesco is the seasonal organic carrots with tops as these have not been chlorine washed and again produce a lot of sand/dirt on washing.

that's what i could smell then with the packets. i remember it reminded me of pva glue. :? it wasn't nice. that's the only problem with the packet veg and herbs. it makes feeding and getting variety a problem. not so much for bisc and matt as they only have herbs, but ches and maisie have all that kind of veg and i do worry about it. :(

do the waitrose herbs and veg tend to last longer than from other places, or the same? the problem with us is topping up through the week. we get one delivery a week, but always run out quickly, or it all goes off and we can't use it. :?

waitrose deliver don't they? don't know of an actual store near us unfortunately though. :(

Ocado deliver for Waitrose. I find the herb packets last about 3-4 days in the fridge but I do make sure I pick the freshest ones, although to find a yellow packet on the shelves in our local store is rare. I never feed anything that has turned yellow.

They also do the live plants which are great, I just find that you get SO much more in a packet because for the main herbs, parsley, mint, basil and coriander Waitrose does enormous packets.
We are very lucky as it is our closest supermarket and is literally less than 5 mins by car. :D

Ocado deliver for Waitrose. I find the herb packets last about 3-4 days in the fridge but I do make sure I pick the freshest ones, although to find a yellow packet on the shelves in our local store is rare. I never feed anything that has turned yellow.

They also do the live plants which are great, I just find that you get SO much more in a packet because for the main herbs, parsley, mint, basil and coriander Waitrose does enormous packets.
We are very lucky as it is our closest supermarket and is literally less than 5 mins by car. :D

just registered on waitrose but they don't deliver to us. :( it gave a link to the ocado site but i'm confused because they don't have waitrose items on there! :? or do they have their own shop, and also deliver waitrose items.. :? i don't get it. :roll:

Just to be clear the ones, I get from tesco are the unpackaged ones. Far better value than the packs and you can wash them easily when you get them home. :D

Back