• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering

MilosMummy

Mama Doe
I think Milo is finally ready to go and see the plum fairy :) How long do boys take to recover from the op? I wouldn't get it done until after Xmas but we are going away on the 20th Jan for 2 week and wondered if I should wait until after we get back?

I can't remember off the top of my head. I do know its fairly quick and a lot less stressful than the spay of a girl bunny.

Thumper had it done on Friday and hes nearly back to normal now, having to keep where he is coldish so he can go back outside, keep having to put my coat on!!

I think there's some basic info on neutering in 'Rabbit Care Reference Section.' Milo's an indoor bun, isn't he? My vet says Spenser will have to wait until the spring to be done as he lives outside. :wave:

Hello
Jenson was also "done" on Friday. He seems pretty much back to normal but as usual point blank refuses to let me pick him up. I've just had another go and although I did manage to pick him up slightly but he's scratched my hand and arms so I'm leaving him for now.

He has his first post op check tomorrow so I can update you then.

Hello
Jenson was also "done" on Friday. He seems pretty much back to normal but as usual point blank refuses to let me pick him up. I've just had another go and although I did manage to pick him up slightly but he's scratched my hand and arms so I'm leaving him for now.

I read somewhere that it can take a few weeks for the hormones to settle post-neuter, so you might see a difference yet - that's what I'm hoping for when I get Spenser done.

I read somewhere that it can take a few weeks for the hormones to settle post-neuter, so you might see a difference yet - that's what I'm hoping for when I get Spenser done.

6 weeks I believe. I'll keep you posted!

He's lovely as he is, but I would like to at least be able to pick him up for checks. I've a nice raised scratch where he just got me, I know he didn't mean to, just doesn't like it but he still let me fuss him straight after so I didn't spook him.

Hello

Would love to hear an update about Jenson :)

Milo is an inside bun but I might just leave him until mid February. I would hate for something to happen to him while he is at the bunny sitters and I am so far away :(

I think I would leave it until after, if he was my bunny. Unless his hormones were really upsetting either him or you!

Hi
Quick update after our post op check up with the nurse.

Jenson has glue and the nurse was happy with how it looks and that he has been eating, drinking (and pooping). So now it's just his next check up on the 17th.
He's currently making short work of a willow basket, funny he likes those way more than the willow ring. Haven't had a proper bunny 500 for a bit, he had a mini run round earlier, apart from that he seems fine.

Although Jenson is an indoor bun, I would agree that with an outside bun it might be best to wait until the weather gets better, unless the hormones become an issue.

neuter

They recover very quick... But need to be kept from leaping about for a week.. Also ive found that you could get bitten or scratched for up to a couple of weeks!.. Cant blame them for being a little temperamental!... 6 weeks before can be with an un spayed female!!

when i got my charlie fixed he was back to normal when i picked him up looking as bright as a button, he also had an emergency dental that day too:shock: I made him stay in his crate for 3 days to have a nice rest and then he went straight back to hopping and running around. His recovery was amazing!

Back