• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Much Readigrass?

Janey

Warren Veteran
Poppy flatly refuses to eat hay-she would literally rather starve!! As a result she often has a dirty bottom (I believe this to be the reason anyway)!!

I have recently invested in some 'hay expert' samples and she will at least acknowledge a couple of the hays. Her preference is readigrass. I was wondering how much of this they can have? Should it be made available all the time like any other kind of hay (as she will at least have a nibble), or is it more of a treat than the other varieties?

I'm also interested in this, as I have a non-haylovin' bun. I have just ordered sample packs, so I hope that will make a difference.

You need to introduce Readigrass very gradually. It can cause bloat if fed in large quantities.

Has your Vet checked Poppy's teeth ?

Ok thank you, readigrass has been hastily re-moved for now!!

Can they have it available all the time once they are used to it or should it not be used like hay in that way?

Yes, she is a dental bun. Has to have her molars burred every few months and also has poor incisors that we are currently trying to manage, her teeth are generally a bit of a nightmare, that is part of the reason I am so eager for her to have hay. She was on penicillin for her teeth and eyes but she had a reaction which led to a mass in her neck that had to be operated on-she's been through a lot in the last 12 months bless her :(

In severe cases of Dental Disease the effected Rabbit may never eat much hay. Not because they wont but because they cant.

I would not feed Readigrass ad lib as I would hay. Just a handful a day at the most, built up gradually over a period of a few weeks. You could mix a bit of it in with another type of hay.

What pellet feed do you use ?

In severe cases of Dental Disease the effected Rabbit may never eat much hay. Not because they wont but because they cant.

I would not feed Readigrass ad lib as I would hay. Just a handful a day at the most, built up gradually over a period of a few weeks. You could mix a bit of it in with another type of hay.

What pellet feed do you use ?

Ok thank you, I have been mixing a little in with the other hay so I will continue to do so.

I have always wondered if she struggled eating the hay, she manages other things, such as the edible baskets which must be quite tough, she also likes apple tree branches so she doesn't seem to mind tough things!!

For the last couple of years she has been on excel, however, I am currently in the process (since last week), of changing them over to science selective as I have heard that can be better for tummies? No difference so far though:(

Ok thank you, I have been mixing a little in with the other hay so I will continue to do so.

I have always wondered if she struggled eating the hay, she manages other things, such as the edible baskets which must be quite tough, she also likes apple tree branches so she doesn't seem to mind tough things!!

For the last couple of years she has been on excel, however, I am currently in the process (since last week), of changing them over to science selective as I have heard that can be better for tummies? No difference so far though:(

It's not the toughness of the food but the jaw action needed to chew it. With things like pellets and even hard bark/willow an up and down jaw action is used. With hay a side-to-side action is also required.

With regards to the pellets, the SS 'Mature' recipe has a higher fibre content than the standard recipe.

Have you given here some Fibreplex too ?

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...97/fibreplex-for-rabbits-small-rodents-p-1180

Also, try the dried herb/brambles

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hay...in.261.html?osCsid=5uq0thacvduvj3884vmg5up8b1

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hay...en.202.html?osCsid=5uq0thacvduvj3884vmg5up8b1

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hay...ht.294.html?osCsid=5uq0thacvduvj3884vmg5up8b1

I mean for Poppy to try them, you might find them to be a bit dry !! :D

Spenser is not the world's greatest hay nommer, but I only give him a handful of readigrass daily as I read it was higher in calcium than other hays. Spenser seems to like all the foods that are high in calcium. :roll: He gets sample bags from Animal Magic - I think he likes variety. I have noticed an improvement in his hay nomming since the weather got colder.

Readygrass is very high in Protein and can cause sticky bottoms mine only get a pinch of it (thumb and ring finger pinch full) you could try making hay tubes with the ready grass hiden amongst the hay so she would have to chew normal hay to get to it also try a higher fibre pellet like Science Select or Oxbow.
Mine also really really enjoy thier Half a weetabix in the mourning which is nothing but fibre and ive never known a bunny to refuse one, becareful if you dont have an active bunny though as this can add weight. :)
Hope this helps

Thank you everybody for your suggestions.

Thanks Jacks-Jane for the links, I will have a look and choose some for her (not sure I'll give them a try myself) :lol:

I think I will try the mature SS pellets, the last couple of days her bottom has been worse than it has in a long time, I was thinking it was the SS but am now thinking from what has been suggested it could be the readigrass-I will take away one and see if there are improvements. She has had fibreplex in the past but not at the moment, perhas I should give that a try.

I didn't realise readigrass was high in calcium or protein, I do worry about calcium as my sisters guinea-pigs years ago had stones from calcium build-up -I am rather strict with kale etc!!

It's very interesting about the jaw movement used with eating hay also-I didn't know that, it could definately go to explain why she's not a good hay eater!! I do try to mix other food in with hay for her, however, she is very naughty at picking out the best bits, although she does occasionally eat a little bit of hay so better than nothing I guess!!

I didn't know they could have a little weetabix, maybe I should try that-she has lost a bit of weight recently (she tends to go up and down), so could give it a go.

My 2 (French lops) have readigrass available to them most of the time. They do eat hay now as well (never used to) and I've never had a problem with the Readigrass with their poo's, etc. They ate more of that when they were younger, they're now just over 7 months and will sometimes leave readigrass in favour of hay.

Be a little careful with weatabix as the branded one has a log of sugar in it (found out on this site!). Think there is a supermarket brand that has no added sugar. So I occasionly give them a Shreddie instead (no added sugar, salt) for times like when I need to worm them, or the weight is dropping.

For building weight Barley Rings are good - they can be bought from horse food supplier place. They come in a hugh feed sack, but they store well (well have done for me) and I feed a couple a day most days to be honest. (My 2 are quite active and bomb around the whole garden quite a lot)

Back