• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To all those with Nethies...

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
What are they like?:)
I have the opportunity to take one in at the moment, and want to find out what they're like from the people who actually know, haha:)

I've only had one before, and it was a very long time ago. I remember him being very bitey.

My favorite bun :D I have 2. They're the sweetest buns ever. Very friendly, affectionate, they love to groom me. They aren't as hyper as people say they are. At least mine aren't.

I have had 2 one when younger and one now. Both have been grumpy little boys but still love them :)

Also reggie is not hyper at all. He prefers to sit and glare at me. But he does love his ruby

I have 4 - all with completely different personalities, but they are all cheeky and friendly (tho not particularly cuddly).

I have Walnut, he certainly has some nethie in him.
I think they can be very rewarding when given the chance.
When he was kept in a hutch that I know now was way to small for him (even though the RSPCA approved of it) he was scared and fiesty, he would box and grunt when your hand went near him.
However he now has a massive space, and I would say has the most lovable personality of any rabbit I've ever met. He is always the first to say hello and loves to come and investigate you. I have worked with him for hours and hours gaining his trust, which is much easier in a shed area because I can just in with him.
After just a few weeks of living in his new shed and aviary, the difference was unbelievable, I think maybe he was working off loads of his energy that he used to be aggressive, on just running around. Instead of running to be as far away as possible he came up to you. He still didn't like strokes, but would kind of ask for them by sticking his head infront of you, but when you stroked him having second thoughts about it and moving away.
Anyway, I worked by stroking him while he was eating which went on to him liking strokes.

If you compare him to how he was before, he is like a completely different rabbit, he trusts me now and lets me stroke him whenever I want, I even have had a few licks off him recently:love: And all that chnaged him was more space and excercise and lots more time.

Sorry about the whole story, but my point is that given the right amount of space, attention, love and care nethies can be soooo rewarding, they have such big personalities for such little bunnies!!:love:

Edit - They are not cuddly bunnies though:p Well neither of mine were/are.

I have 4, one is cuddly (Smokey), 2 are semi cuddly, (Rose & Magic), the other .... not so cuddly to say the least :lol: (Xander)

ALL very full of beans & LOVE to run around like crazy bunnies :lol:, though Smokey is starting to slow down now, all are very cheeky & can have quite a temper wether it be with the buns or the hoomins lol

My mini nethie, Cookie, is 5.5 months and without a doubt the cutest, sweetest little thing I ever come across.

Full of energy, inquisitive, she does not bite and very rarely nips, well-behaved (altho fast learning some naughty behaviours by watching big sis dwarf lop). She prefers her cuddles in the evenings (far too much energy to sit still in the mornings!) and will join me on floor, sofa or bed for grooming sessions lasting up to an hour. She will often initiate these sesssions; coming closer and waiting for me to put a finger out to start stroking her head (she really is tiny, so a whole hand is too much!). If I'm reading on the sofa or the bed, she'll jump up and find a cozy position next to me, or on my chest. We'll then cuddle for ages. She is not keen on other people stroking her, so def a mummy's girl. :)

She is nervous of unexpected noise, and a little worried about entering the kitchen (not sure why), but generally quite brave as she doesn't want to miss out - especially if Poppet is already doing it!

She knows when bedtime approaches, and will hide under the sofa (she wants to stay up with mummy, bless her). She is clever, playful and pretty darn cool
:love:

I have two and have fallen in love with the breed and for as long as I have bunnies I will always have atleast one nethie :love:

My pair are very cheeky, very nosey and have huge personalities, they beg for attention and get in a strop if I dont give them enough :lol: Sebastian is a cuddle bun (he was a lone bun for a while and I had him from around 4 months old) Mae is less cuddly but will sit on my shoulder instead :lol: Mae does bite, well she would if she had teeth :roll: but our bond is quite weak atm because I had to stab her alot while she was ill :( She only bites when she is fed up of sitting on my knee :wave:
They are very food orinated and always look for something to eat :D

I have 2 nethie crosses :love:

Jose: cheeky, full of beans, always on the go, always up to something, doesn't mind a cuddle :love:

Rainbow: chilled, prefer to just laze about and live a quiet life - but can do the funniest binky's :love: isn't keen on being handled

I have Tiggy, who has grown to be quite confident now, but she will race away at the sound/sight/smell of anything scary. She is most definately not cuddly, in fact she doesn't really like strokes at all, but loves a race around and cuddles with Bloo. And she has started coming to me when she is scared, rather than running away :love:

Eevee on the other hand is hugely confident. She loves cuddles and flops by my head at night, and I often wake to her licking my face! She will hide if something sounds scary but it's only about 3 seconds before she decides to investigate.

Tiggy is outdoors and Eevee is indoors, and I think thats why Eevee is a lot more confident. When I have my own place the outdoor buns will be indoors as well so I hope that will bring Tiggy out of her shell even more.

So my experience of nethies is they are fast, bouncy, nosy, and although things may be scary nosiness overtakes most of the time and they want to investigate everything! You can't open a bag in this house without a nethie jumping into it while you are rummaging :lol:.

I have one nethie currently in a group of 4. We call her a pocket rocket because she is so fast. Her characteristics are:-

Bossy
Independent
Very clever
Inquisitive (always the first to be checking out what is going on)
Not at all cuddly (but has never shown any agression towards us)

:D

Charlee is a nethie. I gotta say that I love her personality. She is very outgoing, adventurous, curious, mischevious and active. She is such a happy bunny and is very independent. She isn't a cuddly bunny but I wouldn't have her any other way.

Noah is supposed to be a nethie cross, but I think the rescue got that bit wrong. He HAS to be close to 3kg.

Yes - go for it! Have two was three.
The late Chewbains was docile, easy to pickup but did not like being handled for long. I think she was a 'chocolate otter'.
MangleWurzel (a.k.a 'wants to know') is full of zest for life, uber inquisative; if there's 'away out' she'll find it. Watches all that goes on, not easy to catch but doesn't mind being held. She was the dominant female (black otter) until...
...enter (a guy called)Gerald. He's very quick and strong. The adventurer. Hasn't quite sussed how to escape me when I want to pick him up but generally stays put when I do.

Seems that buns have their own personalities. As a breed they are said to be nervous, which I found only applied to one. As yet have not come across dental probs as I had with the first (inherited )bun 'Ince' (thought of as same breed/cross).
(as with a previous post Gerald has now grown 'big' so is probably not 'pure'....love him anyway!)

Last edited:
Yes - go for it! Have two was three.
The late Chewbains was docile, easy to pickup but did not like being handled for long. I think she was a 'chocolate otter'.
MangleWurzel (a.k.a 'wants to know') is full of zest for life, uber inquisative; if there's 'away out' she'll find it. Watches all that goes on, not easy to catch but doesn't mind being held. She was the dominant female (black otter) until...
...enter (a guy called)Gerald. He's very quick and strong. The adventurer. Hasn't quite sussed how to escape me when I want to pick him up but generally stays put when I do.

Seems that buns have their own personalities. As a breed they are said to be nervous, which I found only applied to one. As yet have not come across dental probs as I had with the first (inherited )bun 'Ince' (thought of as same breed/cross).
(as with a previous post Gerald has now grown 'big' so is probably not 'pure'....love him anyway!)

Ahhh they sound lovely:love:

We have 3 nethies & 3 nethie crosses - they are all sooooooo adorable :love:

Quick, feisty at times, independent & extremely fast!!! :D :lol: :love:

Seems that buns have their own personalities. As a breed they are said to be nervous, which I found only applied to one.

I didn't know that. My two are anything but nervous! They're very cheeky and adventurous. :D Though Ben is nervous about being carried, but so are a lot of buns. Now that I think about it, mine were very hyper as babies, but then I suppose all babies are. They seemed to have grown out of it.

I think the only bad thing about nethies is dental probs. Thats why I'd never adopt an older nethie as the average 'casual' bunny owner doesn't feed near enough hay. There aren't a lot of homeless buns in my area anyway (I adopted my 2 on craigslist when they were babies, the owner got bored after 2 weeks :roll: ). I actually just went on pet finder and theres no rabbits at all in my city but theres a nethie a couple hours away that looks just like my Timmy but looks overweight and needs dentals every few weeks :(

Tinkerbell was very friendly, bonded easily with Simba, bouncy, funny, energetic, absolutely all round gorgeous.

I miss her very much :cry:

Back