• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pinworms

shay

Warren Scout
I collected Barnaby from a rescue last Saturday and he's very bony and underweight. He had a health check and his VHD on Wednesday and my vet said to give him a month and if he hadn't put any weight on then to think about doing bloods. She'd asked me about his poops etc and at that time they were normal, smaller and darker than Pebbles', but she eats alot of hay and he was going bonkers eating grass, so I wasn't unduly worried.

Because he'd been in the rescue for 8 months, surrounded by a lot of noise, building work and on his own, she thought it may have been stress. He's been eating like a horsey ever since coming home, so definitely has a good appetite and will eat everything that's offered (veggies / herbs etc).

However, yesterday, whilst bonding, he did a fairly runny poop and I saw pinworms.:shock: I've started panacur for both of them today but should I completely clean out their hutches and disinfect, and if so, at what stage of the worming process?

Also, when he first came home he wasn't litter-trained so pooped on the grass. I'm worried that some of these pinworms are lying in the grass and will just keep re-infecting him. So what should I do with the grass?

Sorry for the essay but I want to get rid of these little visitors asap and get my little mans weight up :)

Poor thing. I don't know the answers to your questions, but wanted to say I hope he gets better soon and hopefully someone will come along with answers to what you need shortly.

Thank you :wave:

I've cleaned them both out today (setting off my hayfever :roll:).

You'd think nothing was wrong with him, he's full of energy and we've had binkies the last 2 days, which are wonderful to watch. Hopefully, the panacur and a proper diet will get him to a healthy weight. Both Barnaby and Pebbles are currently nomming on the new bedding hay I've put in their hutches :lol:

Glad to hear he's feeling lively! When Loxxy had pinworms in the summer, I noticed no difference in her at all. She had a 9 day course of Panacur and it cleared up no problems. For an easy way to feed it, I made a basil leaf sandwich - just put the paste between two leaves and they wolf it down no problem!

Keep us posted how he's getting on.

Hello a 7 day course of panacur should get rid of it. Also thyme herb is supposed to help expell worms.

Hello, I'm giving them a 9 day course of panacur and have been giving them quite a bit of thyme, until I read that too much can give them diarrhoea :shock:

Glad to hear he's feeling lively! When Loxxy had pinworms in the summer, I noticed no difference in her at all. She had a 9 day course of Panacur and it cleared up no problems. For an easy way to feed it, I made a basil leaf sandwich - just put the paste between two leaves and they wolf it down no problem!

Keep us posted how he's getting on.

Yep, basil leaf sandwiches all round this morning :lol: I was surprised how well they ate them, I really expected problems as my old dog, Sheba, could smell her epilepsy tablets from a mile away :lol:

I'm also doing a 9 day course of panacur. His spine doesn't feel so bony so I'm hoping he's already gaining weight. I tried to weigh him a little while ago, but he wouldn't stand still on the scales ;)

I'm sure now he's in a more settled environment than he was previously, he'll start to sort himself out in no time. Sounds like he has a healthy enough appetite anyway. Weighing a bunny is not easy ~ I tried with Loxxy a while back when she was little, but needless to say she kept hopping about. I tried a huge box on the scales, put a treat in there for her to keep her still ~ gave up in the end, she didn't really need weighing anyway :lol:

The first time I weighed him, he more or less just sat there. But I'm guessing that was because he was a little scared and disorientated :(.

I tried him with his pellets on the scales, but he was having none of it. I'll try again next weekend and put a cloth over them. Maybe he just didn't want to see how much he weighs, pretty much like his mummy :lol:

Loxxy is gorgeous, she reminds me of Tinker who went to the bridge in March. I love the colouring and her little pink nosey :love::lol:

Weight Update

Woohoooooooo!!!!!!

I managed to get Barnaby on the scales today and he's now a slightly more health 4.5lbs. That means he's put on 0.5lbs in 2 weeks and I'm a very relieved bunny mummy :D

I knew his spine was feeling better and thought his hips felt a little more 'covered' but wasn't sure if that was me getting used to his bony-ness. So I'm chuffed to bits.

Now if I could just get him litter-trained......................:lol:

:D That's good to hear - funny, I was just thinking about him this morning!

Keep up the good work :wave:

Back