• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training - help post #10

puppyjess12345

Mama Doe
To be litter trained at all costs! They know mummy will come up in the morning and clean up all of their poop! Heres the two little devils showing off their master piece to all of RU, they're so proud of themselves :roll: Oh and guess where the least poop is - in the litter tray!

bla005.jpg

Look at it all from one night!! Why cant they just poop in the their litter tray (well bed). Awkward little *******! Any tips for me on how to cure they're bad behavior? I put all the poops in the litter tray but it doesn't work.

Last edited:
I'm having exactly the same problem, every day I sweep up all the poo and put it in the litter trays, but theres just loads of poo everywhere the next morning:roll:

Perhaps, you can trying using megazorb as litter with extra hay on top. If they wee on their bed, try moving their tray where the bed is. Also, wash their bed to get rid of the wee smell that tempts them to do their business there.
Good luck! :wave:

Are they quite recently neutered and/or bonded? If so, it will probably calm down on its own over time as the instinct/habit to mark territory due to hormones and/or new partner wears off

Are they quite recently neutered and/or bonded? If so, it will probably calm down on its own over time as the instinct/habit to mark territory due to hormones and/or new partner wears off

Oh wait they are actually. Its been 4 weeks since Rosies and Teds ops, the other two its been a while and they're pretty well litter trained. And I also recently attempted bonding, looks like I have hope! :p

Ok well now its been a while since bonding and neutering, surely its been long enough? A few months.

What do i do other than put poop in the litter tray? They have never been litter trained their whole life so poo where they go not in any specific corner or anything. Heeelp me :)

Ok well now its been a while since bonding and neutering, surely its been long enough? A few months.

What do i do other than put poop in the litter tray? They have never been litter trained their whole life so poo where they go not in any specific corner or anything. Heeelp me :)

I need help with my group too, it's getting slightly better but I stilll have to sweep up lots of poos all the time:roll: I think maybe because their in a group they copy eachother so it just needs one stubborn bunny not pooping in the tray to put them all of it?:?

Not all rabbits will use a tray for their droppings i'm afraid. It is very rabbit dependent and instinctual as to whether they will continue to feel the need to mark or whether or not they are happy to use a latrine. I have one rabbit who only uses the latrine for her droppings, and another who poops anywhere and everywhere and no amount of training will change that fact. The same applies to wild rabbits, some will use the communal latrine and some won't, it generally depends on if they are primarily burrow or surface bunnies.
In a domestic situation things such as neutering, other rabbits around, sharing territory with humans etc will all affect natural instincts. Provided your bun uses the tray for their wee then they know what a latrine is and you might just have to accept that droppings are not part of this. Giving bun clear boundaries of where their space is and where yours is can often help reduce the spread. :wave:

It can be quite difficult to litter train older bunnies i've heard. Biccy is impeccable, will hold anything in if he cant access a litter tray. Then when he can, its "empty me"!

Ginger however, will use the litter tray for wee 99% of the time, and about 70% of the time for poops.

I can't monitor as easily, as JCBiscuit ends up emptying poops onto the floor :lol:

I know some bunnies wont use it but I want to try all the techniques first, so just wondering if anyone knows of any?

Most bunnies will poop where the hay is. So ONLY have hay in the litter tray.

Soiled newspaper in the tray
Keep putting poops in the tray

Ok their poor litter tray is gonna have lots of poop in it :lol: Im going to lay newspaper all over the floor and any pee'd on spots i'll scrunch up in a ball and put in their litter tray :wave:

Ok their poor litter tray is gonna have lots of poop in it :lol: Im going to lay newspaper all over the floor and any pee'd on spots i'll scrunch up in a ball and put in their litter tray :wave:

i think yours are kept in a shed if i remember rightly, so it should be quite easy to have the hay localised too :)

You might want to start with several litter trays and then gradually reduce them as they get the hang on it.

Ok newspaper is down, im going to pop out every 10 minutes seeing as its the holidays. Right do you mean keep the hay in one area? :oops::oops::lol:

Yeah.

Dont have it in multiple locations.

Keep it in the litter tray and the litter tray only, or a rack above the litter tray. Bunnies most often poop while eating, so it makes sense :):wave:

Back