• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ATTENTION BUNNY EXPERTS -cold weather

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
I have 11 beautiful buns, 4 pairs and a 3 some all happy and healthy and snuggly. This is the first winter for 9 of them and they are all absolutely fine apart from one, Poppy Peaches who is usually very lively - she is lethargic and can't seem to be bothered at all. She is eating loads and pooping fine but little else apart from snuggling up in her fleecy bed looking out. I took her to the vets yesterday and everything seems fine, weight ok,teeth ok, poops ok, no lumps, she has been given Baytril and Metaclopramide (in case). My question to the long serving bunny experts is:- is it possible that some bunnies just don't like the cold weather and become like this???

Yes, cold weather does seem to reduce activity in some buns. Is she able to get exercise at the warmest part of the day?

Yes she and Pippin have their own fenced off 'pen/run' area and also a session in the garden as and when they want - she was in the border this morning for a while then just sat there looking fed up so I put her back in her fleecy bed

I have 11 beautiful buns, 4 pairs and a 3 some all happy and healthy and snuggly. This is the first winter for 9 of them and they are all absolutely fine apart from one, Poppy Peaches who is usually very lively - she is lethargic and can't seem to be bothered at all. She is eating loads and pooping fine but little else apart from snuggling up in her fleecy bed looking out. I took her to the vets yesterday and everything seems fine, weight ok,teeth ok, poops ok, no lumps, she has been given Baytril and Metaclopramide (in case). My question to the long serving bunny experts is:- is it possible that some bunnies just don't like the cold weather and become like this???

Yes, especially if there is a hidden underlying condition. A short course of pain relief may rule out any underlying illness exacerbated by cold. How old is Poppy Peaches?

Buns also naturally wind down in winter and will be less active, however, less activity means a slower gut and slower metabolism (heat production) and some buns are more susceptible than others.

Poppy is nearly 12 months old - she's 'fat' (not overweight) and fluffy with a crackin' dewlap so she can't be chilly?

Back