• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is P@H nuggets good?

rabbitdan

Mama Doe
at the moment mine are on P@H junior and dwarf nuggets.

Moisture 9%, Protein 16%, Oils and Fats 4.5%, Fibre 16%, Ash 7%.

the adult one is

Moisture 9%, Protein 12%, Oils and Fats 4%, Fibre 14%, Ash 7%.

are they any good?

I used to feed mine these until they went up in price and I switched supplier and onto excel at the same time. Its probably better than a muesli diet but there are better pellet brands out there. All depends on how much you can afford though.

Helen xx

at the moment mine are on P@H junior and dwarf nuggets.

Moisture 9%, Protein 16%, Oils and Fats 4.5%, Fibre 16%, Ash 7%.

the adult one is

Moisture 9%, Protein 12%, Oils and Fats 4%, Fibre 14%, Ash 7%.

are they any good?

What did you do about hay - you were asking about Pure Pastures

Mine has been on pets at home nuggets since we got him in May and he loves them.

They are better than the mixtures that you can get because rabbits tend to pick out certain bits that they prefer and don't get all of the nutrients that they need to stay healthy.

Buns only need an egg cup full a day of nuggets and once they reach about 16 weeks (I think, can't remember but it will say on the package) they can be weened on to the adult nuggets :)

I used to feed P@H pellets, before I stopped shopping there. Mine liked them. But I'm sure I read that they're quite high in sugar compared to other pellets? :?

I think Science Selective pellets are far better, and my buns go nuts for these... So much so that I occasionally feed 1or 2 as a treat cos mine are now on Oxbow Bunny Basics T. SS pellets work out cheaper than P@H,
I'm sure of it, as well as having higher fibre levels.

Xxx

I used to feed P@H pellets, before I stopped shopping there. Mine liked them. But I'm sure I read that they're quite high in sugar compared to other pellets? :?

I think Science Selective pellets are far better, and my buns go nuts for these... So much so that I occasionally feed 1or 2 as a treat cos mine are now on Oxbow Bunny Basics T. SS pellets work out cheaper than P@H,
I'm sure of it, as well as having higher fibre levels.

Xxx

This is interesting to know :)

my rabbits dont eat much hay :(. i think they wait for thier nuggets! they eat some hay but not that much. should i only feed nuggets once a day?

P@H pellets are lower in fibre than recommended and personally I don't think they are a great pellet at all, they seem to cause caecal upset with a lot of rabbits. Would much rather feed my buns Science Selective, Oxbow or Allen and Page as much higher in fibre and lower in protein. Ideally you want a fibre content of atleast 19%. I don't actually feed pellets at all but if I did it wouldn't be P@H ones!

my rabbits dont eat much hay :(. i think they wait for thier nuggets! they eat some hay but not that much. should i only feed nuggets once a day?

Mine didn't used to eat much, but they eats loads now - all you need to do is make a few changes.

They should only be getting an eggcup-full of pellets each a day. You should gradually reduce their pellets from whatever they are getting now, to this amount. This should have a big impact on the amount of hay they eat. Then all you need to do is find out which types of hay they like, and provide lots of it!

Getting a sample pack from The Hay Experts will help you find out what they really love. Burns Green Oat hay tends to be a favourite amongst the majority of rabbits. Mine also love Burns Welsh Meadow Hay, and the Alfalfa Kings Timothy Hay and Oat, Wheat and Barley hay. The Excel forage ones go down well too. I usually use farm hay as their main hay, which they love too, but cos of the weather the farm doesn't have any hay until next year now, and I've been using Pure Pastures, which is going down just as well.

Happy Hay Hunting :wave:

xxx

I don't like P@H nuggets - the rabbts I have seen being fed on them produce poor quality poos, although it will also have something to do with the quantity fed. The fibre content is too low - you can do much better than 16%.

Science Selective
Allen and Page
Oxbow Bunny Basics T
are better for fibre.

But whichever you feed, you must not give a bowl full, just a small handful per pair or about an egg cup each daily - dependent on the size of the egg cup. Too many nuggets will prevent bunnies from eating hay.

As your bunnies have come from the person who bred them Rabbitdan, you will probably find that they were fed a lot of pellets to give them good coat condition and build them up/make them grow when young. You need to alter their diet (gradually) to ensure the high hay intake.

I don't like P@H nuggets - the rabbts I have seen being fed on them produce poor quality poos, although it will also have something to do with the quantity fed. The fibre content is too low - you can do much better than 16%.

This. Our foster bun came to us on these pellets and produced tiny dark droppings due to low fibre and high protein. The change in his droppings when changing pellets and upping his hay was unbelievable, he even passed a whole load of fur that had clearly been sat lining his bowels that had never had their walls stretched enough with fibre to push it out in 6 months! :shock:
This is why I would never use them, I think the fibre content is shocking, especially 14% for the adult ones.

this is thier poo
004-1.jpg

If you live near countryside...

... it should be fairly easy to get high quality farm hay. This is what we do. A local farm sells us an old-fashioned cuboid-shaped bale at £3.50 and it lasts us ages for 2 buns and 2 GPs. They love it for eating and sleeping. If you haven't seen a farm advertising (farms often put a sign out on the main road), it would be worth you asking horsey people where they get their hay from. We have a giant cardboard box that we keep the bale in - better than polybags, because you get condensation forming in the plastic, and then mould spores. Good luck.

just wanted to show my buns poops when they were on a mix of p@h pellets and p@h muesli. Big and golden, just as they should be.
pooo.jpg

I think hay is the important thing as far as fibre is concerned, but you may as well get the best pellets you can - so if you can get hold of and afford one of the brands suggested you'd do well to swap :)

eta; your buns poops look on the small side but if you cut down their pellets and get them some tasty hay they should improve.

Back