• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long does it take you to clean your outdoor 6x2x2 hutches?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I was out last night cleaning for nearly 3 hours- only one of my 6x2x2 hutches- admittedly i got interrupted by my neighbors dogs trying to get the buns , so had to put up additional fencing for them. I ended up with four black bin bags of hay out of one hutch.

My buns are definately bedded down well, but it is a mission to get the cleaning done in this weather. Its' so cold my hands have started cracking and bleeding even with gloves over. Anyone else having problems cleaning outdoor buns?

How long would it normally take you to do a 6x2x2 hutch that was full up with bedding?

Normally it takes me one hour per hutch- sometimes 45 minutes.
That's including filling up buckets of water, putting the bin bags away to one side, taking out all the bedding, wiping round throughly etc inside and out, cleaning bowls. Moving buns in and out into carriers.

Indoor cages normally take me 10 mins to clean out, so there is definately a contrast in keeping buns outside and it's freezing :(

About 15 mins unless I'm scrubbing out and disinfecting the litter trays too.

Makes it easier if you have lino on the floor of the hutch, then a layer of newspaper, then hay or straw, and litter tray for the main poop/wee area.

1. I just roll the newspaper up with hay/straw inside and straight into a bin-liner (newspaper can be pulled out afterwards if you compost the hay and straw).

2. Sweep out any remaining poop/bedding with dustpan and brush

3. Empty litter tray

4. Spray hutch and litter tray with disinfectant spray and wipe over with kitchen towel or cloth.

5. Fill litter tray with megazorb and hay, and fill hutch with new newspaper and hay/straw

Makes it easier if you have lino on the floor of the hutch, then a layer of newspaper, then hay or straw, and litter tray for the main poop/wee area.

1. I just roll the newspaper up with hay/straw inside and straight into a bin-liner (newspaper can be pulled out afterwards if you compost the hay and straw).

3. Empty litter tray

4. Spray hutch and litter tray with disinfectant spray and wipe over with kitchen towel or cloth.

5. Fill litter tray with megazorb and hay, and fill hutch with new newspaper and hay/straw

I do the same and do a proper wash out/disinfect usually at the weekend, though I may give it a miss this weekend!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbymarysmokey

3. Empty litter tray

I do the same and do a proper wash out/disinfect usually at the weekend, though I may give it a miss this weekend!!!!!

Ditto

This is a good thread. It probably takes me over an hour, even in summer. Just because i pull them all out and sweep behind them and give the concrete area a sweep and sometimes i disinfect it.

I even hoover to get things out of the nooks and crannys :oops::oops:

Have them indoors now, and its so much quicker, but it feels like im always cleaning up after them, because i dont want my room to look like a hutch! :lol:

today it took me about an hour. i cleaned out the hutch, filled it up and sweeped the poo out of the run. :wave:

Takes me about 15 mins to do a 6ft by 4ft and attached run. The run I'd the hardest as both bus poo and wee all over it!

probably about 30 minutes unless im disinfecting and stuff in teh summer you can normally find me cleaning the hutch for an hour lol because i will scrub it clean everytime for an excuse to stay in teh sun :D

Back