• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Egg and meat in rabbit treats??

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
I bought some rabbit shaped treats from p@h the other day and on looking at the ingrediants, it listed meat and meat derivatives. I guess they've used it as a binder stick it alltogether and it's only tiny amounts, but I couldn't bring myself to feed it to them, and binned them.

I then bought them some dandelion stickle style treats the other day as they looked and stated they were natural, but when I got home I noticed one of the ingrediants was egg, again, I havn't fed these yet, I'm sure they must be fine, but mentally I can't get it in my head that it's in them. I'm sure they never used to use them in treats (new bunny mummy again after a long break) maybe I just never noticed :?

What are your thoughts on it, would you feed them? I'm a fusspot by nature over food, think I'm extending it to the buns :roll: I only wanted something to help keep their teeth down and these looked pretty solid. They arn't fussed by their branches at all, although I've not got round to trying ones from the apple tree in the garden yet!

I bought some rabbit shaped treats from p@h the other day and on looking at the ingrediants, it listed meat and meat derivatives. I guess they've used it as a binder stick it alltogether and it's only tiny amounts, but I couldn't bring myself to feed it to them, and binned them.

I then bought them some dandelion stickle style treats the other day as they looked and stated they were natural, but when I got home I noticed one of the ingrediants was egg, again, I havn't fed these yet, I'm sure they must be fine, but mentally I can't get it in my head that it's in them. I'm sure they never used to use them in treats (new bunny mummy again after a long break) maybe I just never noticed :?

What are your thoughts on it, would you feed them? I'm a fusspot by nature over food, think I'm extending it to the buns :roll: I only wanted something to help keep their teeth down and these looked pretty solid. They arn't fussed by their branches at all, although I've not got round to trying ones from the apple tree in the garden yet!

Not really sure, not ever thought about that!

Re their teeth - hay hay and more hay :)

Re their teeth - hay hay and more hay :)[/QUOTE]

This
and some 'hard' veg in moderation like sprouts & broccoli stalks

They usually like apple branches!! I have to limit mine cos it gives Mini sticky bum (TMI). Generally I only feed stuff that is similar to wild food - so dried dandelion and plantain from Burns and Readigrass - as treats. Or fresh stuff in summer. The only thing they get that looks like a commercial treat is Fenugreek Crunchies which are basically just corn and fenugreek.

Oh and special tasty hays - mine love oat hay.

We've been lucky so far that these buns have been big hay munchers, I've never had rabbits like it!! They get all excited when I start rustling it, and mobbing me as I put it in the hutch!

I keep reading on here all the tasty different hays you are all buying, worth investigating! Mine also love those woodlands hay cookies, I think they are very pricey, but they go mad for them, running off with them in their mouths, and scrabbling at them to get some good bits off. If they've left it for a while I snap it in half and they come running!! (They actually smell quite tasty to me too :oops: ) they arn't sold locally though (is anything in my tiny town?!) and so I have to remember to get some in when travelling out to do shopping.

I have a nice broccoli stalk in the fridge which I think is going to be the next thing for them, I've had to be extra careful with tiny Frankie due to her illness, and am fairly nervous of trying them with new things! Can you tell?! :lol:

We've been lucky so far that these buns have been big hay munchers, I've never had rabbits like it!! They get all excited when I start rustling it, and mobbing me as I put it in the hutch!

I keep reading on here all the tasty different hays you are all buying, worth investigating! Mine also love those woodlands hay cookies, I think they are very pricey, but they go mad for them, running off with them in their mouths, and scrabbling at them to get some good bits off. If they've left it for a while I snap it in half and they come running!! (They actually smell quite tasty to me too :oops: ) they arn't sold locally though (is anything in my tiny town?!) and so I have to remember to get some in when travelling out to do shopping.

I have a nice broccoli stalk in the fridge which I think is going to be the next thing for them, I've had to be extra careful with tiny Frankie due to her illness, and am fairly nervous of trying them with new things! Can you tell?! :lol:

I never actually give mine broccoli stalk any more. I've found that the stalks of things tend to give my Mischa and my Nutmeg a touch of bloat. I know many give it with no problems but might be something you want to keep an eye out for. I've never tried the cookies myself cos it's short hay and while it's good for their tummies it's not as good as normal hay for their teethies. You want long strands to help grind the molars.

If you want to try some different hays try Animal Magic Pet Supplies - the person who runs it is a member on here (holidayhutch) and she's doing hay samples as part of a fundraiser for a rescue.

http://www.animalmagicpetsupplies.c...th=/Shops/BT3336/Categories/Easter_Fundraiser

Mine have been enjoying them... (these are the £1 bags)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=256437

Thanks Schuette, have been an ordered some sample bags of everything, some willow treat balls, fenugreek crunchies, a parsley bell and a polka dot bowl may also have jumped in my basket ;)

I remember now years ago broccoli stalk did upset some of my buns, so will give them little chunks to see how they go.

ETA: The pics of your buns are beautiful, I've been trying to get some good ones of ours but usually end up with pics of their behinds where they don't sit still!! The captions were very funny aswell!!

Back