• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why oh Why oh Why...

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
...does somebun just insist on weeing on the carpet?

:censored:

It's not even in the same place everytime!! :roll:

My Inca does it, but at least it is in one of two places and it is on a wee rug that i can put in the washing machine.

Would be peeved if it was the actual carpet.

Herbie done it once, but he was ill so it is ok.

Kermit only done it a couple of times after he was ill, so that again was ok.

Can you guess the culprit? :roll:

Ginger?

Nutmeg does this. She did it when we had carpet in here, always in the same spot under the desk or over by the door. :roll: They still do actually, there are a couple of spots where they tend to wee but lino is easier to clean!!

Ginger?

Nutmeg does this. She did it when we had carpet in here, always in the same spot under the desk or over by the door. :roll: They still do actually, there are a couple of spots where they tend to wee but lino is easier to clean!!

Got it in one!

She only ever does it on CARPET though.

Lino, she doesnt, she uses the litter tray!

I'm sure its her marking her territory, but she's out in the living room all the time in the evenings and its only really started in the last week or so.

I'll just keep cleaning it up, then using vanish carpet cleaner. It's not ideal as i know it means she'll want to mark again, but its not my carpet! :roll:

...does somebun just insist on weeing on the carpet?

:censored:

It's not even in the same place everytime!! :roll:

Because it's nice and comfy for their little bunny bottoms that's why! Much nicer than litter or scratchy straw :lol: Funnily enough, now they are outdoor buns and have their own fitted carpet in their "living room", they don't wee on it :lol::lol:

Their crate / pen is already on a 6x6 piece of Lino.

I can't cover the whole living room in towels and lino :lol:

Oh sorry, didn't explain myself very well, I mean in the specific place she is weeing. :oops:

Oh doh, I've just noticed you said it's NOT in the same place every time :oops:

Oh sorry, didn't explain myself very well, I mean in the specific place she is weeing. :oops:

Oh doh, I've just noticed you said it's NOT in the same place every time :oops:

it can be *anywhere* on the carpet.

How very random!

I'll be mr cleaner!

It's such a pain when it happens I know. Mine only do it when they are illl, and Poppy when she is cross with us for something. But it's still a pain and stains despite the white vinegar.

If she is marking her territory then you may need to restrict the territory again when they are unsupervised and ONLY let them into the sitting room when you can supervise closely. Girl buns are easy to catch normally, they lift their tail before they wee so if you are watching closely you should be able to grab her or clap your hands and herd her/put her in her tray and make her stay there until she does a wee - then reward it instantly with a treat. It should only take a few days but I would definitely restrict unsupervised access to break it. If you miss the wee then don't react (it will be too late and she won't understand). Is there any chance she is doing it for your benefit? Or does it happen when you are out of the room?

It's such a pain when it happens I know. Mine only do it when they are illl, and Poppy when she is cross with us for something. But it's still a pain and stains despite the white vinegar.

If she is marking her territory then you may need to restrict the territory again when they are unsupervised and ONLY let them into the sitting room when you can supervise closely. Girl buns are easy to catch normally, they lift their tail before they wee so if you are watching closely you should be able to grab her or clap your hands and herd her/put her in her tray and make her stay there until she does a wee - then reward it instantly with a treat. It should only take a few days but I would definitely restrict unsupervised access to break it. If you miss the wee then don't react (it will be too late and she won't understand). Is there any chance she is doing it for your benefit? Or does it happen when you are out of the room?

neither of them ever have access to the living room when we arent there, their dog crate only has access to the hallway when i cant give them supervision.

I've tried to catch her a few times, i've picked her up to go and put her in the litter tray and she just wees anyway :roll: then its all over the living room!

The few times i've watched her and then put her in the litter tray and given her a treat after shes weed, but it just doesn't seem to make any differenec.

I never react, just wait til shes moved and then clean it, i can't leave it to soak in, what with it being a rented house.

Shes done it before when im out of the room for a few seconds, but OH was in the room at the time if i remember rightly. I dont think its for attention, but im no expert so i could easily be wrong.

Whats always confusing is, she NEVER wees outside the litter tray, when she's free-range in the crate/hallway setup. Only ever in the living room. I guess that makes it more sound like territorial marking doesnt it?

neither of them ever have access to the living room when we arent there, their dog crate only has access to the hallway when i cant give them supervision.

I've tried to catch her a few times, i've picked her up to go and put her in the litter tray and she just wees anyway :roll: then its all over the living room!

The few times i've watched her and then put her in the litter tray and given her a treat after shes weed, but it just doesn't seem to make any differenec.

I never react, just wait til shes moved and then clean it, i can't leave it to soak in, what with it being a rented house.

Shes done it before when im out of the room for a few seconds, but OH was in the room at the time if i remember rightly. I dont think its for attention, but im no expert so i could easily be wrong.

Whats always confusing is, she NEVER wees outside the litter tray, when she's free-range in the crate/hallway setup. Only ever in the living room. I guess that makes it more sound like territorial marking doesnt it?

Any particular time of day that she does it? Who is in the room - both of you or just your OH? What is she doing before she wees? Sometimes it can help to keep a very detailed behavioural diary (CBT for bunnies! :lol:) so you can trace a behaviour and look for triggering patterns. It does sound either territorial or behavioural for your benefit - I can't tell which. Does she really continue to wee even though you have interrupted her? You do need to catch it very early to stop that I know, the number of times Poppy has been mid-wee and dribbled everywhere when interrupted through fear (under different circumstances - this is when she frights in her hutch). How old is Ginger and how long ago was she spayed? They do have a good routine each day don't they?

Any particular time of day that she does it? Who is in the room - both of you or just your OH? What is she doing before she wees? Sometimes it can help to keep a very detailed behavioural diary (CBT for bunnies! :lol:) so you can trace a behaviour and look for triggering patterns. It does sound either territorial or behavioural for your benefit - I can't tell which. Does she really continue to wee even though you have interrupted her? You do need to catch it very early to stop that I know, the number of times Poppy has been mid-wee and dribbled everywhere when interrupted through fear (under different circumstances - this is when she frights in her hutch). How old is Ginger and how long ago was she spayed? They do have a good routine each day don't they?

They only get free-range in the living room between 5pm and 11pm ish and it can be anytime between those hours.

I'll try and keep a diary of whats going on, thats a good idea.

Yes, she has done the 'wee in mid air' a few times, but also on the other hand, i've stopped her a few times, put her in the tray and a short while later she'll wee.

Ginger is just over 6 months old, she was spayed last week of September.

They have the same routine every day, except for weekends.

Routine is;

Pellets @ 6:30am
Open dog crate to hallway @ 6:45am
Veggies @ 8am
Free-Range until 5:00pm in hallway, herd back to dog crate with door open on other side to living room, close door to hallway until OH gets home.
OH Home, unlock door on dog crate into hallway until 12 ish.
Attach pen back to dog crate and leave bunnies to go to bed @ 12pm ish

Then repeat the following day etc.

Keep a diary I think and look for patterns. She may also have some hormones circulating still as well (up to 9 months for girly buns post-spay). What you don't want is it becoming a repeated behaviour by habit or by learned response of course. Try to continue to stop her before she does it, and if not continue to ignore (clean up asap she has gone, I understand you can't leave it and why would you want to! :lol:)

Diary something like this:
Columns - day - what time get up - behaviour - what was she doing before she did it - what did she do after - how did we respond - routine that day - anything upset or scare her - food - bedtime time.

Behaviours very often carry over to the next day, Poppy can be cross about something the night before and then still be frustrated and pee the following morning and it is related to broken routine or something that upset her the day before, she can't make that link, but we can for her.
Have fun! I did it on an excel spreadsheet for Poppy :wave:

Castiel and Ruby love to pee on the carpet and on the laminate flooring :roll::lol: I blame the funny ears :p

Keep a diary I think and look for patterns. She may also have some hormones circulating still as well (up to 9 months for girly buns post-spay). What you don't want is it becoming a repeated behaviour by habit or by learned response of course. Try to continue to stop her before she does it, and if not continue to ignore (clean up asap she has gone, I understand you can't leave it and why would you want to! :lol:)

Diary something like this:
Columns - day - what time get up - behaviour - what was she doing before she did it - what did she do after - how did we respond - routine that day - anything upset or scare her - food - bedtime time.

Behaviours very often carry over to the next day, Poppy can be cross about something the night before and then still be frustrated and pee the following morning and it is related to broken routine or something that upset her the day before, she can't make that link, but we can for her.
Have fun! I did it on an excel spreadsheet for Poppy :wave:

i'll monitor it for a week or so and see if there is a discernable pattern i can notice from when she does it :)

Thanks PL. Always the practical one!

They are both playing in a brand new HUGE cardboard box from a new PC for work i got yesterday. I'm sure they'll have many new holes torn in that before long :) :lol:

I think that PL's theory is most likely to be right.
I had a few issues with my bun at the beginning cos he likes to taste his wee & HATES getting his feet wet. Does your bun turn round to sniff/taste her wee when she's done it?

Back