• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

American Timothy Hay?

nessar

Warren Veteran
How different is it from Western Timothy? It seems cheaper and is dustfree so wondering if its worth getting.

Also what is the difference between Timothy and Western Timothy?

I've never fed western hay, but I have american timothy hay. Its definitely my favorite. Its mostly dust free but still has some in the bottom of the bag. This last bag I got has dust all through out but thats very rare.

How different is it from Western Timothy? It seems cheaper and is dustfree so wondering if its worth getting.

Also what is the difference between Timothy and Western Timothy?

The Oxbow Western Timothy is much longer and greener. If you go onto the Oxbow Western Timothy site it explains what it is. The ordinary Timothy seems more like normal hay: mine love Oxbow Western Timothy but not so keen on ordinary Timothy.

Last edited:
As far as i'm aware they are the same thing just different cuts. 1st cut timothy is green and soft, 2nd cut timothy is thick and stalky and tends to be more yellow from the sun. Oxbow is an american company so american timothy and western timothy are both american. Amercia has much longer hot/dry seasons and therefore is able to get two cuts of hay in usually. In the UK this is rarely possible so the timothy is left to reach 2nd cut level and hence is generally stalky. Colour only is relevant to amount of sun drying/bleaching.

Yes, I thought Western timothy was western American timothy, Nevada sort of area?

Timothy grass (phleum pratense) is not a grass native to North America, it was introduced there by an immigrant named Timothy (hence the name timothy hay) who brought seeds of an alpine grass from his native Sweden. It is typically grown in the north western states near the Canadian border in rich volcanic soil, so those crops have become known as western timothy. The best of the grass is grown at higher altitude in cooler states such as Nebraska where Oxbow is located but it ranges across to as far as Oregon on the west coast. It will grow at lower altitudes but does not have the same beneficial mineral content as the western timothy and is generally just referred to as timothy.

Timothy grass (phleum pratense) is not a grass native to North America, it was introduced there by an immigrant named Timothy (hence the name timothy hay) who brought seeds of an alpine grass from his native Sweden. It is typically grown in the north western states near the Canadian border in rich volcanic soil, so those crops have become known as western timothy. The best of the grass is grown at higher altitude in cooler states such as Nebraska where Oxbow is located but it ranges across to as far as Oregon on the west coast. It will grow at lower altitudes but does not have the same beneficial mineral content as the western timothy and is generally just referred to as timothy.

How interesting. It's the Oxbow Western Timothy that mine love.

Back