• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue Bun - Grotty eye advice

Hi All

I have just taken in a lovely little lop eared bun called Pickle from a family who were no longer able to care for him. Having checked him over thoroughly it would appear that they gave him very little in the way of care and certainly nothing in the way of attention.

He is 2 years old and was in a 3ft hutch - he apparently got to have a run in the garden at weekends during the summer :censored: I believe the last time he had any freedom was around September time :shock:
The hutch he was in had no cover on the front and was facing directly into the garden and was very dirty.

Luckily he doesn't seem to have any weight issues and his teeth appear to be OK, but I will be getting his back teeth properly checked by my vet once the snow clears (I'm snowed in at the moment :oops: )

He does have a couple of problems that I would be grateful for some advice on until we can dig our way out ...

Firstly he does have very mucky eyes. Since I have had him and got him out of any drafts these do seem to have dried up and stopped weeping. The problem is that they have been runny for so long that it has left him with a lot of very sticky matted fur around his eyes and down the front of his face. I have been bathing them with a warm salt water solution to try to aleviate this, but so far it's not been having much impact as it is so well matted. I really don't want to start tugging at it as this is such a sensitive area and I don't want to make things worse for him by causing sores. Any other suggestions on how I could help clear this up for him would be wonderful.

The other problem that he has is that he has some very scurfy areas of skin which when scratched come away in clumps. It doesn't look like ringworm and I suspect it could be mites - is there anything I can use to help with this until I can dig my way out and get to the vets for some Xeno? It's so cold I don't want to get him wet, and have held off doing too much grooming as it's so cold I don't want him to end up half naked if he loses too much fluff :shock:

The other thing I have noticed is that his testicles don't appear to have decended - he is definitely a little boy as he has a "little friend", but his santa sacks are empty :oops: I am suspecting that he has undecended testicles and once again will get the vet to check and get him neutered to get rid of them as I'm aware this can cause cancer if left.

Once I've got him sorted I will be looking for a home for him, and am definitely looking for somewhere where he will get lots of cuddles and a wife-bun. Considering he has never been handled he really is the most cuddly bun I think I've ever met. He snuggles right into you and tucks his head in under your chin :love: He must have been so lonely in that little hutch all on his own :(

All advice very gratefully received, and if anyone can help out with a big thaw that would be great too :D

oh , how sad, poor little thing . Thank god you have got him now. Can you get to a pet shop or are you very snowed in ? You can get worm treatments from pet shops but not sure about mites tho. His eyes could be his back teeth as you know but could just be cos he was dirty and got an infection. someone with more know how than me will come along and tell you but it might be worth google some info for alternative treatments things you might have in the house now, but you have to make sure it's from a trusted source .

Oh did read about putting vaseline under eyes to stop them getting sore , no idea where i read this tho so might be worth checking . Not sure if it will make matting worse tho. You can use chamomile solution that is very gentle and soothing it might help .

:wave: You shouldn't really use salt around the delicate eye area, just cooled boiled water still warm and a clean pad for each wipe and then very gently dab dry with a clean pad, I'd say he needs to see a vet asap for some fucilthalmic eye ointment but, in the meantime you need to just gently keeping bathing them, don't tug at them or attempt to rub or cut anywhere near the eye.

Regarding his other issues I personally in this set of circumstances would gently daily groom, ensure all his accomodation is thoroughly clean at all times, maybe rub a very small amount of olive oil on a cotton pad onto very dry area's just to relieve rather than cure and concentrate on building immunity with lots of fresh greens, good food and hay till you see the vet.

He's had a lot to cope with in terms of the start he's had and the move etc so providing he is bright and responsive and eating etc I'd concentrate on making him feel safe and comfortable and see a vet ASAP.

Well done for saving him, I hope it's nothing to serious, it sounds like a bit of neglect - if he is really run down mites can escalate anyway (there is usually a very tiny amount on all rabbits), if you build him up he might naturally start to improve and manage it with grooming. He might have been housed on rubbish, non dust free hay or something??

Best of luck :wave:

Oh did read about putting vaseline under eyes to stop them getting sore , no idea where i read this tho so might be worth checking . Not sure if it will make matting worse tho. You can use chamomile solution that is very gentle and soothing it might help .

Sorry to go against what your saying but, I wouldn't put anything around the eye of a rabbit without the instruction of a vet. It can liquify with heat and enter the eye and make a problem worse or cause an allergic reaction :wave:

P/s I'm in Stubbington - the main roads are passable in terms of seeing a vet:wave:

Hi All

I have just taken in a lovely little lop eared bun called Pickle from a family who were no longer able to care for him. Having checked him over thoroughly it would appear that they gave him very little in the way of care and certainly nothing in the way of attention.

He is 2 years old and was in a 3ft hutch - he apparently got to have a run in the garden at weekends during the summer :censored: I believe the last time he had any freedom was around September time :shock:
The hutch he was in had no cover on the front and was facing directly into the garden and was very dirty.

Luckily he doesn't seem to have any weight issues and his teeth appear to be OK, but I will be getting his back teeth properly checked by my vet once the snow clears (I'm snowed in at the moment :oops: )

He does have a couple of problems that I would be grateful for some advice on until we can dig our way out ...

Firstly he does have very mucky eyes. Since I have had him and got him out of any drafts these do seem to have dried up and stopped weeping. The problem is that they have been runny for so long that it has left him with a lot of very sticky matted fur around his eyes and down the front of his face. I have been bathing them with a warm salt water solution to try to aleviate this, but so far it's not been having much impact as it is so well matted. I really don't want to start tugging at it as this is such a sensitive area and I don't want to make things worse for him by causing sores. Any other suggestions on how I could help clear this up for him would be wonderful.

The other problem that he has is that he has some very scurfy areas of skin which when scratched come away in clumps. It doesn't look like ringworm and I suspect it could be mites - is there anything I can use to help with this until I can dig my way out and get to the vets for some Xeno? It's so cold I don't want to get him wet, and have held off doing too much grooming as it's so cold I don't want him to end up half naked if he loses too much fluff :shock:

The other thing I have noticed is that his testicles don't appear to have decended - he is definitely a little boy as he has a "little friend", but his santa sacks are empty :oops: I am suspecting that he has undecended testicles and once again will get the vet to check and get him neutered to get rid of them as I'm aware this can cause cancer if left.

Once I've got him sorted I will be looking for a home for him, and am definitely looking for somewhere where he will get lots of cuddles and a wife-bun. Considering he has never been handled he really is the most cuddly bun I think I've ever met. He snuggles right into you and tucks his head in under your chin :love: He must have been so lonely in that little hutch all on his own :(

All advice very gratefully received, and if anyone can help out with a big thaw that would be great too :D

With regards to the eye issues, a very mild saline solution is fine fore bathing. Tears are salty after all ;) The solution needs to be warm and you will need to work at softening and removing the clumps very gradually over several days, bathing the area about 3 times each day and trying to remove a tiny bit of gunk each time. Make sure that you dab the area dry after bathing.

The runny eyes *might* be due to tooth root problems. To diagnose elongated tooth roots skull radiographs are required so it would be a good idea to discuss potential Dental issues with the Vet.

You can obtain a spot-on Ivermectin treatment for mites

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...xeno-450-6-pipettes-ivermectin-spot-on-p-1500

Good luck with the Bun xx

Thanks so much for the replies everyone:D

We're still stuck in the snow at the moment :( Unfortunately we live about a mile from the main roads and the roads between them and us are literally ice sheets at the moment, so no chance of getting out safely. I did think about walking with him, but think that this might do more harm than good especially if I fall on the ice.

He does seem to be getting brighter gradually - I honestly don't think he can believe his luck at getting cuddles ;) He actually snuggles in even tighter when he thinks it might be time for cuddles to finish and makes me feel really guilty about putting him down again :lol:

I'll keep going with soaking his eyes - I do seem to be getting little bits off each time. It's going to take a while to get it all off as there is 2 years worth of build up there. His coat (while scurfy) does feel a bit better texture wise already.

I'll keep you posted with his progress :)

We're still stuck in the snow at the moment :( Unfortunately we live about a mile from the main roads and the roads between them and us are literally ice sheets at the moment, so no chance of getting out safely. I did think about walking with him, but think that this might do more harm than good especially if I fall on the ice.

He does seem to be getting brighter gradually - I honestly don't think he can believe his luck at getting cuddles ;) He actually snuggles in even tighter when he thinks it might be time for cuddles to finish and makes me feel really guilty about putting him down again :lol:

I'll keep going with soaking his eyes - I do seem to be getting little bits off each time. It's going to take a while to get it all off as there is 2 years worth of build up there. His coat (while scurfy) does feel a bit better texture wise already.

Well done for helping him and I'll keep a lookout for updates :)

Poor little chap, so glad he is with someone caring now, I'm not venturing out I must admit, the sun is out a bit now though so let the thaw commence!

Sorry to go against what your saying but, I wouldn't put anything around the eye of a rabbit without the instruction of a vet. It can liquify with heat and enter the eye and make a problem worse or cause an allergic reaction :wave:

Thats ok , i never take offence :) i read it somewhere when i was looking for info for my bun he has constant weeping eyes has very long roots, all i can remember is that the weeping can cause sore scabs and that it said something about vaseline being applied under if the skin becomes sore and redness develops. Never done it tho i have to bathe twice a day and apply ointment , i dont overwet tho more of a damp wipe to keep fur from clogging. He goes back in 3 weeks for his next checkup.

Thats ok , i never take offence :) i read it somewhere when i was looking for info for my bun he has constant weeping eyes has very long roots, all i can remember is that the weeping can cause sore scabs and that it said something about vaseline being applied under if the skin becomes sore and redness develops. Never done it tho i have to bathe twice a day and apply ointment , i dont overwet tho more of a damp wipe to keep fur from clogging. He goes back in 3 weeks for his next checkup.

:wave: Thats cool, essentially if your working with your vet I'm sure that's fine, I am just wary of advising people when the vet hasn't actually seen it, I know what your saying though about preventing soreness, when Gizmo had a weepy eye and my adopted Rexy bun had an infection (on adopting him) I just concentrated on cleaning gently with warm water and ensuring it was as dry as possible afterwards, it's really important to use clean cotton pads for each wipe. I hope your little bun will improve and be OK for his next checkup.

The OP should be clear to get to the vets now we had rain rain rain last night and literally all the snow has gone - really bizarre, Thursday morning completely covered - today all gone YAY :lol:

:wave: Thats cool, essentially if your working with your vet I'm sure that's fine, I am just wary of advising people when the vet hasn't actually seen it, I know what your saying though about preventing soreness, when Gizmo had a weepy eye and my adopted Rexy bun had an infection (on adopting him) I just concentrated on cleaning gently with warm water and ensuring it was as dry as possible afterwards, it's really important to use clean cotton pads for each wipe. I hope your little bun will improve and be OK for his next checkup.

The OP should be clear to get to the vets now we had rain rain rain last night and literally all the snow has gone - really bizarre, Thursday morning completely covered - today all gone YAY :lol:

Thanks but dont think eyes will ever stop weeping due to the extent of root growth , i was showed the x rays and it is bad, but i have a very good vet . Frodo was on very high pain meds and have discussed if he will need daily pain relief. He has not had any for a week now so am watching him to see what he is like . He's a odd rabbit for someone who has been neglected he is very gentle and lets you cean his eyes, although he has started to thump in his hutch if you annoy him, which is a good sign as he done nothing but sit when i first got him about 4 weeks ago.

Hi guys

Quick update on the bun - I walked down to the main road last night and caught a taxi from there to the vets (bit miffed to wake up and find all the snow gone this morning :lol:)

Poor Pickle is in a proper pickle. He has a chronic mite infestation, to the point where his skin has thickened so much that the vet had trouble getting a needle in to give him an injection. He's had his Xeno treatment now and will have another dose in 2 weeks time so hopefully that should help the mites. He also has infected tear ducts and I am carrying on bathing them with a mild saline solution 3 times a day, as well as using Fucithalmic cream twice a day. He also has some major problems with his back teeth adn has a lot of pus in his mouth. He has had an anti-inflamitary injection and I am chopping all his food up really small for him at the moment and it looks like he will need some serious dental work doing once he has a chance to pick up a little. He definitely seems a wee bit brighter today, so fingers crossed for him.

Will keep you posted on his progress :)

Awwww well done you, which vets do you go to? I go to Alver Vets in Stubbington but, they have a Fareham surgery too I believe. Animed in Shedfield has some 'bunny' vets there although they aren't specifically exotics they take an interest in the buns.

Fingers crossed now your managing the problems he might pick up and get well - hopefully he might not need his teeth doing? You can only wait and see I suppose, very best of luck and well done saving him, I doubt he'd be here today if you hadn't :wave:

Poor boy!

Some advice that may or may not be useful. I give Grimlock, my rabbit who also has teeth problems, excel junior and dwarf pellets. I soak them in cold water for a few minutes and they swell up and soften but they keep their shape. It's been much easier for him to eat them.

Do you know when they can sort his teeth out because if he stops eating altogether it could be really bad for him, and it's obviously not nice for him to be in pain. :(

Well done for taking him on though. I bet he can't believe how lucky he is! :wave:

Hi guys

Quick update on the bun - I walked down to the main road last night and caught a taxi from there to the vets (bit miffed to wake up and find all the snow gone this morning :lol:)

Poor Pickle is in a proper pickle. He has a chronic mite infestation, to the point where his skin has thickened so much that the vet had trouble getting a needle in to give him an injection. He's had his Xeno treatment now and will have another dose in 2 weeks time so hopefully that should help the mites. He also has infected tear ducts and I am carrying on bathing them with a mild saline solution 3 times a day, as well as using Fucithalmic cream twice a day. He also has some major problems with his back teeth adn has a lot of pus in his mouth. He has had an anti-inflamitary injection and I am chopping all his food up really small for him at the moment and it looks like he will need some serious dental work doing once he has a chance to pick up a little. He definitely seems a wee bit brighter today, so fingers crossed for him.

Will keep you posted on his progress :)

Poor Boy :cry:

Did the Vet also start him on systemic antibiotics ?

Back