• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help need advice

jackiek

New Kit
hi everyone, really need some advice. after buying 2 female rabbits, one of them gave birth to five babies. I didnt find them straight away but as soon as I did I took the male rabbit out. Too late it seems because the female started attacking her first litter and when I seperated them, she started nesting. She gave birth tonight to a very small kit. He is barely breathing and his one eye does not seem right. I dont think he is going to survive.
I know that the female doesnt take much notice, but she is starting to make another nest. could this mean she is still pregnant? or do rabbits give birth to all their litter at the same time. i have checked and can see no more kits. In regard to the one that has been born, I am guessing I should leave it to the mother and let nature take its course? please any help advice.

On a slightly different note, went to the shop that sold them to us as "definate" females and asked what they were oging to do to help us out. We have had to buy more cages, extra food etc. they said that they were struggling and were unable to help us out. so buyer beware, do not beleive anyone who says they know for sure, take them to your vet, ours do it for free so dont put it off
thanks

I am by no means an expert on pregnant rabbits but mum may need to see a vet urgently in case there are more kits inside her having trouble getting out, it also sounds like this kit needs veterinary attention as well. They don't always birth them all at once no, usually they will, but not always. I would certainly give a vet a call for advice tonight. Good luck x

as above.

i have no personal experience of kits but i really think she needs to see a vet xxx keep us informed:)

Im no expert but I would seperate the two buns immediately and get mum to a vet or if possible a vet to her to check she is ok good luck hope someone more knowledgeable will be along soon

hi everyone, just thought i would update you. i called the vet last night and explained the situation. i was advised that because the mommy rabbit was not in any discomfort or pain and that she seemed to be done with giving birth, that i should just keep an eye on her through the night. The kit that was born i think was a peanut? By this morning, it was gone and she had eaten all but the head :( not a pleasant thing to see, but nature had took its course.
mommy rabbit seems fine, but she is still collecting hay although she doesnt appear to be actually making a nest. could this be her hormones in play?
I guess it is a possibility that she may give birth to more, but I am hoping for her sake she doesnt. i swear i could kill that shop for putting us in this position, but will keep you informed :) thanks everyone

What a horrible situation to be put in. :(
For the female's health I would suggest getting her spayed. And if you get the male done to you can bond them together again (after a couple of months for hormones to settle down). Then at least they can start a new, happy life together.

Is the place you bought them part of a chain? If it is I would go to head office for some compensation. :(

I intend on getting them both done. No its not a chain, its a small shop, we did go and see them, wanting them to help with the cage we had to buy, or maybe some food, we were told that they couldnt help as money was tight with them!:evil: I have had to buy 2 new cages to keep the male in and then the female as she was getting agressive to her first litter. And the amount of food the babies eat! I am really really hoping she is not pregnant still. And the male is going NOWHERE near her until they are both done.

It sounds like you're doing everything in your power to sort things out for them. :)

Does the mum have babies with her at the moment? If not the a possibility might be to get her spayed now. Some people think this is a good idea but others would never do it as it is basically the same as an abortion as well as getting her spayed. It depends how you feel about things like this and also what your vet says. :?

Edit: Just thought I better add, if she's outside she would need to come in if she gets spayed as they can't control their body temperature just after they've had a general anaesthetic. So it depends if you can do that. Otherwise I would wait until the weather is warmer.

no she doesnt have any babies at the moment. I think I will wait and see what happens in the next couple of days. But she is a house rabbit so i dont have to worry about the weather :)

My back room is overtaken at the moment by bunnies!

I will certainly be getting them both done. although my male rabbit I am sure is giving me dirty looks now I have took his pleasure away:lol:

Back