• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Picking up your bunny... update - progress today!

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Perhaps inspired by Graham's thread I decided to have a go at picking Spenser up. This first attempt was foiled by my mother, who pointed out he was enjoying his eggbox of readigrass and that I should leave him alone. Once he'd finished eating I had another go. Spenser's vet told me I might try putting a towel round him, but this met with extreme disapproval from his lordship - immediate retreat to the most inaccessible corner of the hutch.:roll: I did eventually manage to lift him, but only after abandoning the towel, which he seemed to regard as an offensive weapon. It seems I have some way to go in earning his trust. :?His current set-up minimises the need for handling, but I do think it is in a bunny's best interests if its owner can pick him up safely. Meanwhile my Dad is desperate for Spenser to be allowed to run about the garden. It's very tempting, but I can't quite convince myself I could bribe him back into his carrier with even a fenugreek crunchie.

On a brighter note, I have taken lots of photos today and will download them shortly. :D:love:

Last edited:
Gracie will be picked up but charlie wont have any of it, he has a complete hissy fit. :roll: xxx

aww don't worry, it took me ages with Zero and he still doesn't like it now. I used to put the towel on the floor then when he hopped onto it wrap it around him instead of trying to drop it on top of him, if that makes sense :wave: it did work though.

Just try and be as confident about it as possible - don't worry about hurting him or him hurting you or not being able to do it. Which is easier said than done I know :wave:

On a brighter note, I have taken lots of photos today and will download them shortly. :D:love:

Yay!

I have no advice on the handling, all my bunnies (past and present) haven't minded being picked up too much. It must be tough with a wriggler. :?

With the free ranging ... is it possible to give him access to just a small area first of all so that you can see if he would come back before letting him loose in the whole garden?

Perhaps it was the wrong type of towel ... maybe he would like one holographed with his initials ... :roll:

Lola is no problem, she sits waiting to be picked up for her morning cuddles:roll::love:
Delilah doesnt like being picked up but if i grab her first time she kicks out then calms down:)
Charlie kicks out and wont have any of it so daily health checks are fun i have so many scars on my arm off him its unreal:shock: but i love him so i dont mind:lol:

Ginger asks to be picked up, so thats never a problem.

Biscuit however, is just a no go if you want to keep your arms attached to your body.

Similar to you Susie, only time he allows me to pick him up is when he's stasis bound :(

I can pick him up, if i really have to, but any more than 5 seconds and im losing a limb, a nose or an eye.

Sydnee doesn't like being picked up really, but if he's snuggled on the bed and I pick him up to move him a little he doesn't mind that.
He hates being held though and I have my fair share of battle wounds from him!

Angel once you've picked her up is fine with being held and wont kick out or anything.

Mine have been a mix - Loki has taken ages to come round to being picked up, but is finally getting there - ironically probably due to how much he was handled with his statis episode. He'll still going to boink off if given the chance, but is calmer once he's up and hasn't scratched me in ages.

Titus is a little harder now than she used to be. After her spay she was very jumpy. So whereas previously you could just yoink her up and she'd sit on you quietly, she's more fidgety and likely to run off or try and jump down if you're not careful. hopefully she can regain some confidence with time though.

Bouncer doesn't like being picked up and has very powerful back legs but once he's "in position" he settles and is actually quite good. I have to be confident & get a firm grip though. For a chunky bun with lots of fluff he's a slippery little oik when he wants to be :lol:

My two don't like being picked up, they don't so much kick or wound but they do wriggle a little bit and try to crawl up onto my shoulder :shock:

Once I have them in what they must think is a comfy position, they just sit still .... but they're still not loving it!! :?

Bouncer doesn't like being picked up and has very powerful back legs but once he's "in position" he settles and is actually quite good. I have to be confident & get a firm grip though. For a chunky bun with lots of fluff he's a slippery little oik when he wants to be :lol:

I think part of the problem is that I haven't worked out what this is as far as Spenser is concerned. I read somewhere that they feel more secure if all four paws are resting on your body, but Spenser doesn't seem to like this at all. Once in the summer when I was struggling to lift him out of the hutch to take him to his run (then on the grass about 12 feet away) my Dad asked, 'could he not just walk round?' :roll::roll::roll:

My two don't like being picked up, they don't so much kick or wound but they do wriggle a little bit and try to crawl up onto my shoulder :shock:

Once I have them in what they must think is a comfy position, they just sit still .... but they're still not loving it!! :?

This is pretty much what Bouncer does. He likes to have his head at the same level as mine and his front paws on my shoulder but of course this means holding onto him VERY tightly because it wouldn't take much for him to hop over the back & away!

Confidence is definitely the key, no hesitation, no time for them to wriggle away. I would try again without the towel personally. Just something else to get in the way and slow you down.

This is pretty much what Bouncer does. He likes to have his head at the same level as mine and his front paws on my shoulder but of course this means holding onto him VERY tightly because it wouldn't take much for him to hop over the back & away!

When I took Dizzi and Rascal for their first lot of vaccs back in June, Dizzi scrabbled up onto my shoulder then over my back - I really wasn't expecting it and wasn't quick enough .......... when the vet came back in the room I was bending right over with Dizzi sat on my back like she was having a donkey ride or summat!!! :lol:

Confidence is definitely the key, no hesitation, no time for them to wriggle away. I would try again without the towel personally. Just something else to get in the way and slow you down.

Agree. Plus if it helps you to feel more confident, wear gloves, long sleeves & a high necked top. Bouncer often scratches me but not because he's aggressive, it's just part of the "getting into position" process :lol: It's still not very pleasant for the human though!

When I took Dizzi and Rascal for their first lot of vaccs back in June, Dizzi scrabbled up onto my shoulder then over my back - I really wasn't expecting it and wasn't quick enough .......... when the vet came back in the room I was bending right over with Dizzi sat on my back like she was having a donkey ride or summat!!! :lol:

Nutmeg's done that to me before at the vets :oops: Normally I see the signs when they're going to bolt up and put my hand on their head and gently push down but this time she was too fast!

I'm usually pretty well-padded when I go out to the hutch these days! :lol: Will try again without the towel again tomorrow. He's just so bloomin' quick! It took me ages to pet him into a tolerably good humour after today's botched attempt, so I will leave further handling attempts until tomorrow.

Back