• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help with hairy bun

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
im looking after a rabbit for pixierabbit shes very very hairy! lol but when ive brought her in daily for a groom shes grunted at me and the last few days shes attacked me everytime ive gone near her with the brush and today she grunted and attacked so much she made herself cough i dont know if coughing is normal for a rabbit whos constantly grunting.

I really dont think this rabbit likes me :(

I had her booked in to be sheared at the vets a couple weeks ago with pixierabbits permision of course

but had to cancel due to my vets being in the middle of no where and taxis refused to take me because they had school runs.

What kind of brush are you using?

I am imagining she has not had much human handling and I would try and work on that first before giving her a 'full' groom. She is obviously very stressed and will need desensitizing to the brush.

Slicker/wire brushes are better for long haired buns, but initially I would just get used to her feeling the sensation of something touching her. You could use a long handled soft baby brush and gradually get her used to being groomed that way.

When I first got Milly (RIP) she was like this if I touched/brushed/went anywhere near her! She was incredibly stressed at any human interaction and extremely aggressive, but over time she grew used to gradual touch and in the end was an angel getting groomed!

We go through this daily with Bungle. He grunts, bites and whimpers when we try to brush him.

I tend to just use the scissors to cut off knots quickly. We keep his fur trimmed quite short and although he looks like a prat its much easier.

Back