• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"The kids got bored"

dizzyg

Warren Veteran
:evil: Seriously, if I read one more 'came into rescue because the kids got bored' I'm going to blow a small fuse!:censored:

We had buns because my mum liked them too and was fully prepared to take care of them herself. (Good job too as they outlived my time living at home!).

Pets (as we know) are brilliant and rewarding for children if parents take the time to help them understand this!:roll: And bunnies are brilliant!

Grumble of the day over.

Merci.

I know. I don't know how rescues stick it to be honest, I'd go nuts. I have a hell of a lot of admiration for people who can deal with comments like that daily and keep calm. I got a rabbit when I was 12 and looked after her fully myself, including using my money to buy her food. However when she developed EC my mum was there to give her medical care when I was at school, and to pay the £500 in vet bills she racked up. A child does not have the time or money to have full responsibility for a bun.

My cousin bought a rabbit for her children (despite everyone advising her against it) which they consequently got bored of, Smokey is a massive rabbit and was kept in a tiny hutch, not even enough for her to lie out in, with no access to a run and unlimited food. Obviously she got very fat and was terrified of people as the only contact she got was children sticking their hands in because mum 'didn't like rabbits'. My mum took her on and gave her access to a run and a diet and she's a different bun. :love:

What angers me too is that the person in question is a vegetarian for ethical reasons. How does that match up with keeping a large rabbit in a small hutch with no attention? :cry:

Rant over.

Merci to you too. :lol:

I'm an 'animal person' because of my mum aswell.
we took the school rabbit home but we ended up keeping her at home because she ended up becoming quite agressive because the kids at school poked her with pencils.........:censored:
I think we ended up with a school hamster, rat and goldfish aswell.
Why can't parents just say No to kids?
Well done to all rescues :love: - I don't have the tact for the 'people' side of it :roll:

I can sympathise. The rabbit who introduced me to bunny love is now really rather neglected, poor wee felllow. The kids are not that interested and Mum doesn't have time. He gets fed OK, and vaccinated, but I do worry about him. It's not beyond possibility that I might inherit him at some point.

rabbits are not kid pets anyway:roll: imho...no kid should have a pet exclusively as their own. there are vet bills, accommodation,food bills etc that have to be paid for that kids cannot finance.. i know there are a few young people on here that are different, and put their bun first ..but you cant get away from the money issues. there should always be a grown up who can assist in the care of that pet.

Just had this conversation with my mum. She was saying she was so glad she waited till i was 16 till i got rabbits. A few years back she was telling me of a mum at school whos son had a rabbit, apparently it was aggresive, mum asked if it was neutered and her reply was good heavens no its a rabbit! She went on to say she doesnt know the last time her son cleaned/fed it :shock:
My mum got my brother a hamster when he was 12, biggest mistake ever he never cleaned it out of fed it so me and my mum took over his care. Its the reasonable thing to do when you buy your child a pet.

That is exactly why we didn't have pets growing up. I never understood it as a child, but my Mum just isn't a pet person. As the adult, you have to be prepared to be responsible for the animal, she wasn't, so we didn't have one. I really admire that now, and have waited to get my boys until I knew I was in a position to give them the care they needed financially and in terms of time etc. Animals aren't toys. Argh!

Mine were the opposite, my bunnies original kid (who was 18months old) liked the rabbis too much and pestered them. So the woman wanted rid. This was 6 weeks after Christmas (they were presents).

it's so sad - I answer the office phone every now and again and it's so upsetting, not to mention the threats and abuse you get when you ''won't help''. People think rescues are made of money and we are just being difficult not taking in their unwanted rabbits and other animals. Grrrr people need to start taking responsibility for their actions.

hannah101 - I really don't know how you do it!

People are terribly irresponsible.

I'm also not a fan of people giving up small pets because they've been bitten by them. Small pets bite and are aggressive usually because they are scared, because they are prey animals. As we know. It's a reason for the owners to modify their behaviour around their pets, not give the poor thing up.:evil:

:censored:

I have 2 boys that are a bit rubbish with their little pets but I make sure everyday they are fed, watered and cleaned by them. It is my responsibility as the adult I believe but then I have a fantastic 10 year old girl who has been out in the freezing bunny shed with me this morning doing nails and general checks of the buns despite being off school poorly!! I think she has inherited her mum's love of animals! :love:

When i was 9 i had dandelion for my birthday. i cleaned him out, fed him, handled him etc... but my parents paid for food, hay, bedding and vet bills.

I got the love of rabbits from my mum and dad. my mum used to have a new zealand white x rabbit that was passed around to atleast 3 people before my mum. She came with a broken toe.

Last edited:
Back