• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please Help!

Ive been searching the internet trying to find an answer! Ive had my rabbit freddy since he was 9 weeks and his about 10 months now! He means everything to me! I clean his hutch out EVERY WEEK! But recently noticed around his eyes/eyelid its red! I wana know if its somthing i should be worried about and whether i should take him to the vets! Someone please answer he means world to me! Such well behaved cheeky rabbit! :)

Ive been searching the internet trying to find an answer! Ive had my rabbit freddy since he was 9 weeks and his about 10 months now! He means everything to me! I clean his hutch out EVERY WEEK! But recently noticed around his eyes/eyelid its red! I wana know if its somthing i should be worried about and whether i should take him to the vets! Someone please answer he means world to me! Such well behaved cheeky rabbit! :)

Yes take him to the vets...is he vaccinated?

The fact you are worried, means you shuold be heading to a vet.

A couple of questions;

Are his genitals swolen at all?

Does he have any lumps / bumps on his ears/nose area?

Is the swolen/red eye the only thing you can see?

Is your bunny vaccinated against myxomatosis / VHD?

Definately, it could be anything from an eye infection, blocked tear duct, through to myxi.

Well ive been with my boyfriend for two weeks and my mum told me that one was red but the rednesshad gone down but to me they look red! its eyelid his eyeball is not red!

Last edited:
Id get him to a vet for a check without a doubt. Its probably something very simple but it could also be serious so get him to a vet ASAP.

Also, rabbits shouldnt be kept with guinea pigs. Although they can be friends a bun can still accidentally hurt a guinea pig very severely. They also have very different dietary requirements ie eat very different food.

Is your bun neutered?

...Freddy and the ginuea are so sweet together look after each other and freds a bit of a spud lol..

No he has had any injection..as i was told from a family friend its not needed! And i dont know what the right thing to do is as first time having rabbit as a pet! I just dont wana loose him! My parents are telling me to boil water then let it kool and wipe around his eye but by doing that i dont wana make it worst!

Your bunny needs to be seen by a vet. Eye infections cannot be dealt with using just water.
Your bunny will also need to be vaccinated against myxomatosis and VHD, both deadly diseases.

You need to get him to the vet, absolutely.

You should also ask the vet about vaccinations, they are very very important. VHD and Myxi should be done every 12/6 months.

Hope the little chap is ok.

I can only reiterate what others have said. Bun needs to see a vet and should be vaccinated for both VHD and Myxi. Your friend was not up to date on rabbit health i'm afraid as is sadly the case a lot even today.

It is hard to separate bonded rabbits and guinea pigs and not always appropriate but ideally they should NOT be housed together, it is no longer recommended by many leading rabbit and guinea pig welfare charities as well as the RSPCA for a whole list of reasons. However, at this point in time your bunny's eye is a concern and requires veterinary attention.

...Freddy and the ginuea are so sweet together look after each other and freds a bit of a spud lol..

No he has had any injection..as i was told from a family friend its not needed! And i dont know what the right thing to do is as first time having rabbit as a pet! I just dont wana loose him! My parents are telling me to boil water then let it kool and wipe around his eye but by doing that i dont wana make it worst!

It should cost around £20 for a check up with the vet, you parents can't know what the problem is, he probably needs some eye drops or something.

Have you ever had an eye infection, they are really itchy and irritating, I'm sure you don't want your bun to go without treatment :)

Can you ask your parents if they can take him to the vets?

Thank you for all the help!

Ive made a appointment at the vets! Ive just about got enough money im only 18 but had him since he was a baby! How much do you reckon the injections could be???

Thank you for all the help!

Ive made a appointment at the vets! Ive just about got enough money im only 18 but had him since he was a baby! How much do you reckon the injections could be???

Anything from £10 -£30 depending on the vet clinic.

However, if he is poorly and not fit to be vaccinated then he won't be on this vet trip. The vet will make the best judgement - buns need to be healthy to receive a vaccination and they must be given 2 weeks apart anyhow. Good luck at the vets, I hope his eye is nothing too serious. x

I think its cuse my parents are looking out for me and dont want me to spend the money i havent got for somthing that might be nothing! But i guess they havent got the bond ive got with him £26.79 its guna cost!

Ive made a appointment for 4.40pm..il come on later to update what the vets said! Thanx all for the help!

Great, you are doing the best for you bunny by taking him, the vet can give you lots of care advice too, maybe think of things you want to ask while you are there?

If you need any help after the vets please do ask us here, we are quite a friendly bunch :wave:

Im getting all stressed cuse load people telling me different things to do! And i just dont know what to do..im guna go ask my neighbour shes a vet nurse thhingy lol

Back