• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay questions

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
Hi all,

what do you look for in a good hay? I'm not talking top quality expensive Timothy stuff, just everyday for feed and bedding. The reason I ask is that as some will know Kath and I are in a bit of a quandry. We try to buy hay by te farmyard bale, and one supplier had very green thick stalked hay which our buns all loved ad it was £4.50 a bale which was great. But they have run out. Before I found that place I used to ge mine from another large petshop by the bale, but their hay tends to be much more golen in colour and is made up of thinner stalks is a smallerbale and is £7.00.

I don't think my buns seem to mind the different hays. But I'm wondering if I should try and order some greener stuff online to supplement the golden bale. What do you folks think? if they are eating it should I just not worry too much? :D I have just bought a new bale of the golden one and have about a 3rd of a bale of the green one left.

I always look for green stuff if I can get it, although my 2 aren't too fussy, they just love to eat :roll:

If they are eating that fine I'd be inclined to stick to it. Maybe buy a little bag of 'treat hay' and give them a bowl a day or something to liven up their diets? I do this but only when I have extra cash. Every-day hay I use Pure pastures from the hay experts, its £3 for a big bag & they wolf it down x

Long stalks are good. Sometimes green is good too. One of the hay types I use has just changed and my bunnies aren't eating the replacement. That's why I always give them two types of hay in their litter tray, in case one of them changes.

Back