• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ear Tags

shay

Warren Scout
I collected Barnaby from a sanctuary on Saturday and noticed he had a healed tear in the middle of his left ear. I'd assumed this was caused by a previous fight and hadn't been seen and dealt with by a vet at the time.

Yesterday, he had a health check and his VHD. My vet thinks that, due to the position, it may have been caused by an ear tag, which had ripped out.

I've never heard of ear tags being used on rabbits. Does this mean that he was a breeders unwanted stock? (he arrived at the sanctuary un-neutered).:(

As far as I know, breeders use a metal ring around the bunny's leg and not an ear tag. (BTW, I don't agree with breeding or metal rings.)

I think some countries in europe use ear tags, never seen them on rabbits in the UK though. Is your rabbit a purebred? It could of been imported

I don't agree with breeding, metal tags or, as I've found out today, tattooing rabbits for showing purposes :(

I don't think he's purebred. Because he's a rescue bun, I have no history on him whatsoever. The sanctuary gave his breed as 'angora cross'. He's definitely not angora!! I believe he's a lionhead lop. He has the mane and 'skirt' of a lionhead, but also has lop ears.

I did post a piccie of him on Sunday in "Your Stories & Photos", but I don't have any other decent photos of him yet. (which is why I haven't updated my siggie) :roll:

I've done a bit of googling today, but there's very little info on ear tags in the UK. I did find one paper written by F Harcourt-Brown dating back a few years. I've seen her name on the forum a number of times (a very well-respected bunny vet).

I guess I should just try to forget about his past, and concentrate on his future with Pebbles :D

Back