• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anybody ever brought a happy outside bunny in to live?

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
I soooo want my babies in with me but they LOVE it outside. Would they just get used to living indoors or would you leave well enough alone?

Anyone ever been in this situation?

I had to do this recently to one of our pairs as the male, Albie, was poorly. He spent a night and day at the vets so I didn't want to put him and his wife back outside.

They loved living outside but I have to say they are having a world of fun in our spare room! :love:

I have been in opposite situation....

Ben used to live indoors and when i moved back home he had to live outdoors. Comparing his behaviour he seemed happier indoors, he interacted more with me, where as now i am ignored :roll:

My 2 were happy outside. But i was struggling with the cold as i havent been very well. So after Dolly had her dental, i kept them both in. They seem happy, they definitley have more room and charge round like a couple of loonies! I cant decide wether to have them back out again in summer. I just think the fresh air does them good.

Whats would your reason be for bringing them in?

I had to do this recently to one of our pairs as the male, Albie, was poorly. He spent a night and day at the vets so I didn't want to put him and his wife back outside.

They loved living outside but I have to say they are having a world of fun in our spare room! :love:

You see that's what I wanted to hear (not that your bunny is sick you understand! - Get well soon Albie), but maybe they would be even happier inside?? Maybe they don't know what they are missing!! I just worry that they might miss the fresh air in the winter when I would have to keep them in all the time. :?

You see that's what I wanted to hear (not that your bunny is sick you understand! - Get well soon Albie), but maybe they would be even happier inside?? Maybe they don't know what they are missing!! I just worry that they might miss the fresh air in the winter when I would have to keep them in all the time. :?

If you dont think their happy, you can put them back out in summer. Im sure bringing them in at this time of year is in their best interests anyway.

My 2 were happy outside. But i was struggling with the cold as i havent been very well. So after Dolly had her dental, i kept them both in. They seem happy, they definitley have more room and charge round like a couple of loonies! I cant decide wether to have them back out again in summer. I just think the fresh air does them good.

Whats would your reason be for bringing them in?

Just because I love them so much and would like to see more of them. I'd love to interact with them more than I do, esp in winter. I see them and play/stroke etc with them twice a day but in winter it isnt for long as it's freezing!!

Me I have bought two indoors and they were happy outside but unfortunately Frankie with his respiratory problems couldn't cope with the tempature changes. They are happy in the spare room now.

Pearl was an outdoor bunny and she loved outside, but because alvin wasnt she opted to stay in the house with him rather than go into the yard when i used to open the kitchen door for them... she loved Alvin more than her past outside life :D

Me I have bought two indoors and they were happy outside but unfortunately Frankie with his respiratory problems couldn't cope with the tempature changes. They are happy in the spare room now.

Thank's that's good to hear that they are happy. I think that I'll wait till next year when hopefully my conservatory is built and I'll move them in around October time. They will have loads of room and there won't be any wires in the conservatory. :D

My lops used to be outside. I used to bring them in during the day (yes i know it's bad, didn't know back them) and they loved it inside so when Mischa, and then a few months later Mini, were ill I moved them in during the nights too. And they just never went back outside. I had two indoor cages connected side by side to begin with and let them out in the evenings and then a NIC cube cage (with exercise time in the evenings) and now free-ranging.

Oh and the conservatory is a good idea, just make sure it doesn't get too hot in summer. It'll be slightly cooler than the rest of the house in winter and my lions are in a slightly cooler room which means they feel a bit more comfortable with their thicker fur.

My lops used to be outside. I used to bring them in during the day (yes i know it's bad, didn't know back them) and they loved it inside so when Mischa, and then a few months later Mini, were ill I moved them in during the nights too. And they just never went back outside. I had two indoor cages connected side by side to begin with and let them out in the evenings and then a NIC cube cage (with exercise time in the evenings) and now free-ranging.

Sounds great! Ben and Lola get in every time I let them out as they can run in and out as they please - I leave the door open in the winter so they don't get too warm. They are litter trained and have slept in the kitchen a few times when Lola has had a dodgy tummy and visited the vet. I think they might get used to it and they'd def get loads more free ranging time. I have a large puppy crate that Lola lived in as a baby while she was waiting for Benson to be neutered so I'm stet up!! All I need is the conservatory.

Glad to hear your and others stories of it working out well!

It doesn't sound as if Benson & Lola are going to be presented with a choice. ;) What will you do with the shed?

It doesn't sound as if Benson & Lola are going to be presented with a choice. ;) What will you do with the shed?

I'll prob let them live outside during the day in summer/autumn/spring and bring them in at night so they'll have lots of space to run around in while I'm at work. I'm hoping I can give them the best of both worlds. What do you think?

mine were outside briefly and seem just as happy inside as outside. They seem to enjoy moving somewhere new get lots of mad binkies out of them :)

I'll prob let them live outside during the day in summer/autumn/spring and bring them in at night so they'll have lots of space to run around in while I'm at work. I'm hoping I can give them the best of both worlds. What do you think?

Sounds like a bunny paradise? Hesitates to mentinion, but isn't Lola, er ... a chewer?

Oscar was an outdoor bun who became an indoor bun 12 months ago due to poor health.

He managed to move back outside (which he loves) in May when he was much better and he was bonded with Sea.

He had to move back in last month due to being poorly again, and now he has a wifey to play with he's very happy inside, but I know in the summer he'll be happy to move back out again.

Sounds like a bunny paradise? Hesitates to mentinion, but isn't Lola, er ... a chewer?

She is. She likes wallpaper and the corners of walls and wood and anything else she can chomp!! (But I don't think I care!!!) The conservatory wouldn't have anything worth chewing and they would only be running around the house if I was in so I could be on site to watch.... am I being a little simplistic?? She will find something to chew wont she!!?? :lol:

Back