• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I...

tiger_lily

Mama Doe
...tell my boyfriend politely to be careful with Oscar?
Oscar is still shy at the moment, altough he's happy coming and sitting on my knee when I have some of his treats, and he is starting to follow me round more and is very inquisitive. I'm letting him work up his courage and become more confident around me, which involves at least an hour every evening letting him clamber all over me.
My boyfriend on the other hand is much more grabby. He keeps trying to pick him up and hold in all the time, and today Oscar struggled and was dropped from waist height :( He was fine thankfully, but I'm worried my boyfriend is undoing all the hard work I'm putting into gaining Oscar's trust.
I know he doesn't mean it, Oscar is the first pet he has ever had, but I'm not sure he knows how to deal with him as such. How can I politely tell him not to be so grabby? I've said a few times now that rabbit's don't like being picked up, and it doesn't seem to work...

I have the same problem but with my brothers, my boyfriend is much more understanding..
I don't really have much advice, except maybe saying you're worried that Oscar is scared of being picked up, and that as rabbits have very fragile skeletons it's not very good for them?

I have this problem with with most people in my family and have done for 2 years!

I just tell them every single time how to pick them up. Dolly growls, and then likes to snuggle under your chin and will scratch/dig when shes had enough. Marley struggles a lot more and if he doesnt want a cuddle hes like a bar of soap. Even i'm guilty of dropping Marley, but i usually throw myself to a lower level when i know hes going to jump. Dad dropped Marley only the other day, he thankfully landed on my bed, but dad just left me to catch him (when i was already snuggling Dolly!!) and walked off.

Now i just tell them; be careful, be gentle, not like that, like this etc...

Sometimes i just say hes been a grumpy bum and they leave them alone, i cant be bothered with going on at them sometimes, its like having children around :lol:

Id just keep saying it to him. Show him how to pick him up, generally, i only pick mine up if they come to sit on my knee or are sat around my feet begging for food.

My friends always try and grab Lottie (my nervous bunneh) :shock: and she always ends up jumping :( I don't think she is going to let a stranger pick her up, when she doesn't even let me... but people don't listen :/

Back