• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just booked my two boys in for a castrate!

rabbitdan

Mama Doe
ive just booked my 2 in for castration. It cost £45.97 each. i think this is quite a good price what do you think?

they are booked in for Wednesday 22nd.

Do rabbits need fasting before the opp?
Will they need to stay in the house? if so for how long?

no fasting required. Seems like a good price.

I'd keep them in the house with snugglesafe as they're recovering from an op, in a little enclosure, with minial hay on the ground - preferably in a hay rack and a towl/vet bed to lay on. They should need to stay in for a night or so.

Good luck xxx

no fasting required. Seems like a good price.

I'd keep them in the house with snugglesafe as they're recovering from an op, in a little enclosure, with minial hay on the ground - preferably in a hay rack and a towl/vet bed to lay on. They should need to stay in for a night or so.

Good luck xxx

what do you mean by a little enclosure?
we've got a labrador sized dog crate would that be big enough?

Last edited:
Yep that's about right :) Are you able to get it moved forward though? For two reasons - first, I think they're 13 weeks old, right? I would worry that by another 3 weeks time, they might be mature enough that they will have already had a fight and fallen out. Rebonding boys after a serious fight is very difficult if not impossible so it's far better to get them done as soon as possible so that it avoids the risk. They can 'turn' very suddenly and cause serious injuries.

Second reason is that's very close to Christmas - if you have any post-op problems like an infection or wound coming unstitched, you'd possibly be looking at an emergency appointment over Christmas Day/Boxing day - and as 27/28 are also bank holidays, your vets could be closed for quite a long time. Personally I would be very reluctant to get them done so close before Christmas.

But having said that, it's brilliant that you have already got them booked in for their little snips :D I would just try and bring it forward ideally to next week, if I were you. Good luck xx

Second reason is that's very close to Christmas - if you have any post-op problems like an infection or wound coming unstitched, you'd possibly be looking at an emergency appointment over Christmas Day/Boxing day - and as 27/28 are also bank holidays, your vets could be closed for quite a long time. Personally I would be very reluctant to get them done so close before Christmas.

Agree with this. Mini was spayed near Xmas but it was completely unintentional. She dislocated her hip two weeks prior but it was assumed it was muscle injury and would heal on it's own. After no change she had an xray about the 21st and they spayed her at the same time so that she didn't have two ops, as it was she then had to have another op two days later to repair the dislocated hip.

Yep that's about right :) Are you able to get it moved forward though? For two reasons - first, I think they're 13 weeks old, right? I would worry that by another 3 weeks time, they might be mature enough that they will have already had a fight and fallen out. Rebonding boys after a serious fight is very difficult if not impossible so it's far better to get them done as soon as possible so that it avoids the risk. They can 'turn' very suddenly and cause serious injuries.

But having said that, it's brilliant that you have already got them booked in for their little snips :D I would just try and bring it forward ideally to next week, if I were you. Good luck xx

the receptionist said that they are 14 weeks old and the earliest they can do it is at 17 weeks. i cant get it moved earlier. do you think this will be a problem>

ive just booked my 2 in for castration. It cost £45.97 each. i think this is quite a good price what do you think?

they are booked in for Wednesday 22nd.

Do rabbits need fasting before the opp?Will they need to stay in the house? if so for how long?

Definitely not. In fact, take some food to leave with them as buns need access to food (particularly hay) all the time to keep their guts working.

Back