• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pet insurance

No, but I do pay about £24 a month for two which is about £288 a year, although you'd think with 6 you would get more of a discount!! Gosh, looking at it like that it's very expensive. Although I did just claim back over £700 so guess it can be worth it!!

that's a better idea... why don't I do that?

That's what I was going to do - but had this sudden panic in case I was faced with some horrendous vet bill, particularly as I have 1 bun & 2 cats too old to insure That's the problem with any insurance - you may never use it ... but it's that 'what if' feeling...

I'm paying £35 a month for 4, so that's £420. After this year I'll put it into a savings account instead, but at the moment I'm completely broke, so decided that was a safer bet short term.

I would definately always have it now. When I first go Poppy I decided I would put money into a bank account instead as when I looked at the insurance options they seemed v.expensive.

However she has turned out to be a dental bun and I must have spent well over £1000 on her in the last year. I decided to get her insured and although they won't cover her for anything to do with her teeth/eyes the insurance has still been well worth it with what I have managed to claim (poor little mite has been through a lot in the last year)!! :(

that's a better idea... why don't I do that?

I think it's difficult if you don't have anything to start the fund with because there's the possibility you could be caught out.
We started ours before we got the rabbits and our vet will let you pay in installments if needs be so I've always felt safe doing it.
Personally, I just don't think insurance is worth it for us; considering dental exemptions, excess and the payments going up each year.

To be honest, I don't really *understand* insurance :oops:

I just know it's a good thing to do.

And I'm too embarrassed to ask anyone about it...

I'm sure if you phone the individual companies and ask them to explain their policies then they would be happy to help.

Or perhaps PM a mod and suggest a sticky explaining insurance. I think that would actually be useful for a lot of members - I know I would have appreciated it when I was deciding.

is there anything in particular you weren't sure about? I'm sure between us we can help a bit.

I don"t understand an excess fee...

I have one bunny who needs dentals and another one who goes into stasis quite a bit which means I have to make a couple of emergency trips to the vets, but my usual expenditures are vaccinations (not covered) and check ups (not covered.) My vet charges £8 for a check up and £30 for a vaccination and I feel like I'm forking out for these while still spending £50 a month on all of them.

I have a £100 excess - what does that mean? Does that mean I can only claim on insurance if my vet bill is over £100? Or does it mean that the insurance will only fork out for the amount that is above £100 and I have to pay the first £100?

I pay £480 a year for my four rabbits. It's definately worth it as if one (or more!) of them get chronically ill it covers for up to £2k per bun per year. Savings accounts aren't a very good substitute because they could easily run out.

I have a £100 excess - what does that mean? Does that mean I can only claim on insurance if my vet bill is over £100? Or does it mean that the insurance will only fork out for the amount that is above £100 and I have to pay the first £100?

Yes, you pay the first £100 and they will pay what's over that.

You'd be best phoning them to check this but I think it works per condition (possibly with stasis excluded);
so say your rabbit gets an ear infection and you go to the vet and get a £90 bill, you pay all of it. If you go again a week later with the same thing and it's another £40 then you could just pay £10 and they would pay the rest because your excess for this ear infection is £100.
But, if you went for the ear infection and it was £90, you pay all of it. Then you go a week later with a torn paw and it costs £140, you still have to pay £100 because it's a different condition.

These things confuse me too though, so I'd definitely double check that with your insurer.

My quote was extortionate - about £45 a month for just two rabbits - so it's not always worth getting insurance.

Yes, you pay the first £100 and they will pay what's over that.

You'd be best phoning them to check this but I think it works per condition (possibly with stasis excluded);
so say your rabbit gets an ear infection and you go to the vet and get a £90 bill, you pay all of it. If you go again a week later with the same thing and it's another £40 then you could just pay £10 and they would pay the rest because your excess for this ear infection is £100.
But, if you went for the ear infection and it was £90, you pay all of it. Then you go a week later with a torn paw and it costs £140, you still have to pay £100 because it's a different condition.

These things confuse me too though, so I'd definitely double check that with your insurer.

This is my understanding too.

I've had a claim for Elijah for stasis (about £120) and I got a pay out for all except the excess (£55). He's had another long stasis episode that cost £160, I'm expecting to get all the money back.

I have all my bunnies insured except Artie who was too old when I decided on insurance. Even if you think your rabbit is healthy they could have an accident and such as leg repinning/amputations etc could run into thousands.

A different situation but my friend's cat recently got shot at with an air rifle (had pellets lodged in him) and had a kicking that detached his spine from his pelvis :cry::cry::cry: His treatment has cost £3K, thank goodness he's insured. (Slow but good recovery by the way).

I've done 4 years without insurance but would always have it now, unless I'm ever rich, which is highly unlikely!

:wave: probably a bit more with my six but they have certainly been fantastic when I have claimed for Frankie and Honey.

I pay £480 a year for my four rabbits. It's definately worth it as if one (or more!) of them get chronically ill it covers for up to £2k per bun per year. Savings accounts aren't a very good substitute because they could easily run out.

^^^ this and I have absolutely no savings and not likely to be able to save so Id rather insure to be on the safe side - i think my excess is £50

^^^ this and I have absolutely no savings and not likely to be able to save so Id rather insure to be on the safe side - i think my excess is £50

How come you guys get an excess of 50 and mine's 100? Does it get lower as I have the policy for longer?

Back