• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housebunnies - How Do you feed yours??

Bitzy

Mama Doe
:wave:

Just wondered how you all offer hay to your bunnies? When mine were outdoors they had loads in their litter tray plus a hay manger downstairs and then their 'posh' hay in a big pile on their chill n chew mat upstairs.

However, now they're indoors I don't really know how to offer it to them .... they still have a load in their litter tray .... and I've been sticking some in their 'igloo' and a bit in a big bowl ..... but basically they're just throwing it all over the gaff! lol

Is this normal???

Photo1470.jpg

Photo1462.jpg

Photo1463.jpg

Oh and I added this one of Rascal - just cos its cute!!
Photo1466.jpg

Mine have their normal hay in their litter tray and some fancy hay in a metal dish thing

I did have a half moon hanging basket attached to the side of their pen but Jose just kept using it as a litter tray and I kept coming home to a pool of wee on the floor underneath it :lol:

i have a box which is ~10 inches x 4 inches which i put their veg in.

Pellets are scattered around the room to encourage foraging for feed and i hide a few in tunnels, boxes, litter tray, eggboxes and under things for them for during the day to find.

Hay is in a rack above the litter tray - thats the only place they have it, or they poop wherever the hay is.

Does that help?

Littertray and another smaller littertray filled with hay, dried herbs etc.

Funnily enough, he never wee's in the forage tray!

i have a box which is ~10 inches x 4 inches which i put their veg in.

Pellets are scattered around the room to encourage foraging for feed and i hide a few in tunnels, boxes, litter tray, eggboxes and under things for them for during the day to find.

Hay is in a rack above the litter tray - thats the only place they have it, or they poop wherever the hay is.

Does that help?

YES mine do too! lol They NEVER pooped upstairs when they were outside but now they've decided to throw their hay around, they poop wherever they eat it!!

I either hand feed or scatter their pellets and hide them in their boxes/cat igloo/tunnels/in amonst the hay etc and pop their greens just in a pile.... its just finding something suitable for the hay to go in (as I have nothing to attach their manger to indoors) that they won't poop in!!

Last edited:
YES mine do too! lol They NEVER pooped upstairs when they were outside but now they've decided to throw their hay around, they poop wherever they eat it!!

I scatter their pellets and hide them in their boxes/cat igloo/tunnels/in amonst the hay etc ..... its just finding something suitable for the hay to go in (as I have nothing to attach their manger to indoors) that they won't poop in!!

They will do.

From what i've been told, bunnies tend to poop while eating hay. Hence litter trays are filled with hay. But thye get confused if there is hay everywhrre else. Thats why the only place lots of people who want litter trained bunnies have hay, is in the tray :)

Littertray and another smaller littertray filled with hay, dried herbs etc.

Funnily enough, he never wee's in the forage tray!

Oooh might try the idea of a forage tray, one that's not big enough for them to sit in but big (deep) enough for hay etc ....... or just stick it in a new litter tray and see how they get on!

Oooh might try the idea of a forage tray, one that's not big enough for them to sit in but big (deep) enough for hay etc ....... or just stick it in a new litter tray and see how they get on!

:thumb:

Mine have 5 trays now, 2 have meadow hay in, one has excel forage the other has excel birch bark and the other has timothy, funnily enough they only ever wee on the meadow ones. xxxxxxx

Upstairs like this:
008-4.jpg

010-1.jpg

and downstairs in the hutch overnight like this:
012.jpg

013.jpg
and they of course have their litter trays full of hay as well :D

Upstairs like this:
008-4.jpg

010-1.jpg

and downstairs in the hutch overnight like this:
012.jpg

013.jpg
and they of course have their litter trays full of hay as well :D

Oh see now that's sooo much neater!!!

Where did you get the stand alone one in the first pic? It looks fab!

I just give them it in their litter box usually. Sometimes I give them treat hay in a treat ball like this...

_IGP8587-vi.jpg

Or sometimes just out of sample bags... but they make a huge mess with these... (well Mischa does)

_IGP0765-vi.jpg

As for veggies we have a bowl... (the lops also have their pellets in this, or handfed)

_IGP0689-vi.jpg

(Mischa waiting patiently for dinner)

And the lionheads pellets they have individual hamster bowls...
_IGP0576-vi.jpg

They will do.

From what i've been told, bunnies tend to poop while eating hay. Hence litter trays are filled with hay. But thye get confused if there is hay everywhrre else. Thats why the only place lots of people who want litter trained bunnies have hay, is in the tray :)

I agree with this, the more hay, the more poops everywhere, I try to limit my normal hay to the litter tray and then give them little and often of the good stuff so that they do actually eat it and not poop on it

Oh see now that's sooo much neater!!!

Where did you get the stand alone one in the first pic? It looks fab!

They're not always neat and tidy!
Mess3.jpg

That'll be the first and last time I ever tried a hay stuffed willow ball! :lol:

The magic roundabout (as we like to call it) is handmade by West Wales Willows - the Willow Warren, where we get our hay:
http://www.willowwarren.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=advancedroundfeeder
as is the hay basket and large willow ball. :wave:

Brilliant, thanks everyone, some really good ideas there!

I think I have one of those metal treat ball thingies somewhere!! I could hang that from the table that their litter tray is under so at least any mess is confined to the litter tray area ...... hopefully!

Yep I fed mine some straight from a sample bag too - maybe that's what made the majority of the mess eh!!!

Will definitely look into some of your ideas tho! Thanks everyone :D

Mine have a hay rack above a litter tray. anything that actually gets in the litter tray though they will not touch. The tray ends up full of wasted hay and they refuse to eat meadow hay too, so it's expensive timothy hay. Plus it falls down the back of the cage and neither the buns or I can get to it. I'll take a photo of what I mean when I get home.

Mine have a hay rack above a litter tray. anything that actually gets in the litter tray though they will not touch. The tray ends up full of wasted hay and they refuse to eat meadow hay too, so it's expensive timothy hay. Plus it falls down the back of the cage and neither the buns or I can get to it. I'll take a photo of what I mean when I get home.

Excellent, thanks :D

My setup (dog crate based)

Hay:

P1030308Small.jpg

That's a small hay rack piled up high with hay, anything that falls into the litter tray, Ginger either eats, or if Ginger hasn't eaten it in time, causes Biccy to dig like there is no tomorrow in.

Veges:

P1030309Small.jpg

Thats a tupperware type bowl and then Ginger frequently gets in as she can't reach all the food, so i'll be changing this to something else soon, perhaps a plate of sorts or a shallower bowl/dish/pot.

Ginger wished to demonstrate as soon as i took pictures...

P1030313Small.jpg

Does that help at all?

Mine have two litter trays with hay at one end of each for eating.

I put posh hay in their litter tray too, they go and eat all that as soon as i give them it, so it never gets peed / pood on.

Yeah thanks, I have one of those hay racks but nothing to attach it to ...... however, now we know they're defo staying in, OH can start screwing and fixing things in the room!! Yaaaaay ......... and we can totally improve their set up!! :D

Back