• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to keep buns warm in winter

sdf76

Mama Doe
This is my personal advice:

If you can't afford a snugglesafe/ are unable to bring your bunnies in etc during the freezing weather please don't be scared by alarmist tales but DO take steps to ensure they keep warm- especially if they are single buns.

1) insulate and waterproof and windproof the hutch(but allow air to circulate a little so they can breathe)
2) insulate inside the hutch
3) check on them as often as you can.

1) you can insulate the hutch by putting lots of layers of newspapers/ or a blanket /or old cushions/coats on the top covered by a cheap shower curtain which you can get from most supermarkets or a pound shop. Use stones/bricks to weight it down. (try to cover over some of the mesh part too)

If snow falls on top of this insulation, don't clear it off as the snow will itself act as insulation.

2) straw is warmer than hay but not as soft and sharp pieces can cause eye injury, so put layers of newpapers then top with straw, then a layer of hay -add a towel on top(warmed if possible) and then lots of hay.

3) check on them as often as you reasonably can, stroking them and giving extra pellets for energy.
Make sure their water bottle isn't frozen-cover it with an old thick sock.
make sure they haven't knocked any water bowls over as you don't want icy water in there- a dry hutch is most important.
Clean out any wet litter trays/areas

If its so cold its impossible to stop the water freezing then cut a few pieces of apple(minus the pips)/ and/or carrots- these will of course freeze too but the bun will be able to nibble little bits for hydration rather than be unable to drink at all because a water bottle nozzle is frozen solid.

This is how I have kept single outdoor buns in the past, and they have been fine in similar temperatures.

(If you heat a brick in the oven please make sure you cover it with cloth and that the rabbit is unable to pull the cloth off and burn itself.) I have never tried this.

another member suggests putting a small cardboard box filled with hay in the hutch which I think is a good idea.

Please try not to worry:) do the best you can.:)
I hope these tips may help?

sue :wave:

Anyone else have tips on keeping buns warm?:)

(and pre-empting those who may say if you can't afford a 16 quid snugglesafe you shouldn't have taken on your buns ?- may I say that
(a) snugglesafes are new and
(b)most come on here to learn about rabbits plus there are many youngsters dependant on parents finances and others whose finances may have dramatically changed in unforseen circumstances.)

Extra care for bunnies in cold weather

dupe with below - RU posted it twice on same thread for me. .... doh

Last edited:
Great advice from sdf76 - Can i just caution about how "sealed" the hutch/shed is. While the accomodation does need to be waterproof and free from direct drafts etc, its NOT a good idea to seal them in too much e.g. covering over mesh doors etc.

As long as the other advice is followed, the rabbits should be warm enough, but if you seal them in there isnt enough air flow, which can lead to respiratory problems from bacteria etc and from ammonia from litter trays.
I would also caution against "stimulating" them - feel free to go out and stroke them etc, but I wouldn't encourage them to get out of bed and run around in the cold. This just uses up energy and then more energy getting warm in bed again. Wild rabbits will be underground as much as possible, just huddling up keeping warm - they'll only venture out to get food. So as long as they are well fed etc, I'd let them stay in bed all day (i'd like to do that too!).

Do your buns have a box or similar bed with sides? If you can stuff that with straw and hay, such that they are protected from drafts and can warm the air immediately around them with their body temperature, they should be fine.

Last edited:
I like this post a lot!

I've been feeding my buns pellets twice a day rather than once while its so cold.

I actually have a question about snugglesafes - I've got 4, but 7 hutches, Should I keep the snuggles with the same animals or rotate them around? will they become reliant on them if I give it to someone else?

As I had just hit the submit button on another thread (now closed) to post some info, I thought I'd add it here instead.

Re Snugglesafes, most rescues will have lots of single rabbits and probably not sufficient funds to buy all their inmates Snugglesafes so they will have lots of hints and tips for how to make bunnies more comfortable in other ways when the weather is cold.

I am lucky enough to have enough Snugglesafes for one for each accommodation but actually find that a big cardboard box stuffed with straw and hay and they a layer of newspapers on top more effective. The Snugglesafes do not last as long as they are said to, possibly only an hour or so at best.

Using extra dry bedding (in other words by changing the litter tray hay more often) will certainly make a big difference. Cold is one thing, wet and cold another.

Insulation will also help either inside the hutch if the rabbits wont' eat it, or out side if they do.

Tarps, shower curtains, all that kind of stuff.

I would also say to those who have those hutches with the pull out metal trays (for convenience of cleaning) should ditch the trays as they will just hold the cold in.

If you haven't put lino down then add more layers of newspaper and maybe even some old carpet samples if your rabbit doesnt' chew. They are very effective in insulating.

If you have your bunnies in sheds where they can't reach the ceilings then you could also opt for something like a Space Blanket - insulation rolls made from recycled bottles and has a silver foil cover. At the moment Wickes are doing buy 1 get 3 free and that is a massive £13.49. I have just insulated the roof of my boarding shed with these and it's very effective. http://www.wickes.co.uk/Space-Blanke...6?source=123_4

sorry if I didn't make myself clear-I didn't mean to seal the hutch:D thankyou for clarifying(though I do pull a cover part the way across the mesh part- isn't this what the newton hutch covers do?) and as you say,I simply meant stroke not make them run around:D

I see the Duchess has started a similar thread with good advice too.
Lets hope it all stays friendly.:D
sue:wave:

ah thats easier now the two posts are joined together.:D

Last edited:
Good post Duchess

Personally, my bunnies dont like their snuggle safes, they avoid them :roll:. They are a wonderful invention if your bunnies use them, but with my lot, they were a waste of time.

Increasing clean outs, extra food and extra visits so you know quickly if a bunny is deteriorating is the best we can do in this weather.

But i line the shed floor with straw and make sure their trugs and toy boxes are always packed full of hay.

This is Holly, the picture was taken last year, she learned how to keep cosy :love:

22dec09007.jpg

Remember, our bunny knowledge is far greater in these days than in "old style" rabbit keeping. While this knowledge is benifitial, it can also fill us with the fear of "what if's". Do your best with the resources you have, summer time is just as dangerous as winter is and us bunny parents will always have concerns, but the fact we have these concerns just proves how much each and every one of us care.

Good advice Helen :D

What a great offer from Wickes as well, I may go and do that tomorrow :thumb:

I think my buns must be the only ones who actually like their snugglesafes and do sit with them every night! I find they do stay hot for a good few hours, you have to leave it sit in the microwave for the minute after the 7 minutes though that makes a real difference :)

For Bouncers bedroom area inside his hutch I have bought a small plastic "swing bin" from Wilkos (£6). Taken the top off and just used the bottom (i.e. the bit that actually holds the rubbish). I've lined it with a couple of old towels and a fleecy pad + laid an old towel over the top. The whole lot sits on top of a carpet sample mat which has lino underneath. The bin base is about 18 inches long/deep and so creates a sort of cosy den/tunnel. I think he uses it :roll::lol:
01122010125.jpg

01122010126.jpg

01122010127.jpg

Last edited:
We have an snugglesafe ordered for Spenser, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he doesn't go near it. Taking on a single bunny was the right decision for me at the time, but I now realise it is far from ideal. In the meantime he has plenty straw, hay, fleece blankets, and regular checks. I check him just before midnight and get up at 6am to check if his water has frozen. He often chooses to sit in what can't be the warmest part of the hutch, so I'm hoping this is a sign he is not feeling the cold as much as I sometimes fear.

Sure we're on the same lines, i can just imagine people with buns for the first time especially, layering them up and sealing them in to "keep them snug".

Those hutch hugger ones are as sealed as i would go personally - some air flow around the bottom i think? I dont cover my mesh at all, because they are in the shelter of the house and the sides of their bed (plastic dog bed) is high enough to keep out drafts.

Wild rabbits cope because they are underground and that provides trapped heat and insulation that keeps the warren temperature above that of outside. To keep pet rabbits warm we basically need to provide the same features to a hutch. That is enough insulation to the inside of the hutch above the outside temperature and a snug area that will heat up around the bunnies.

So, covering the whole hutch in insulating material like blankets and tarp and then insulating the bed area specifically. Also reducing drafts by partially covering any large mesh areas. Damp is also something to avoid so make sure the hutch is water tight and raised off the ground.

A snugglesafe is nice but not necessary. They are good if you have a single bunny (they help provide heat like a second rabbit) or an older rabbit that would be more comfortable with warmer temperatures. A healthy adult rabbit in a well insulated hutch should not need one but you can provide one if you want.

My tips on winter proofing are here: http://www.therabbithouse.com/outdoor/rabbitwinter.asp

All excellent advice - just a couple of things to add (edit: now the two threads have been merged, some of this is covered already but I'll keep it here anyway :lol:)

When insulating your hutch, remember it is important to keep air flow. Of course you want to protect them from howling gales and draughts but there does need to remain a steady stream of ventilation. Covering the entire fronts over will cause a build up of damp, stale air inside the hutch which is a recipe for respiratory disease including sudden onset pneumonia which will more than likely kill the occupant :(

Similarly, if anyone uses things like duvets and blankets, it is vital that they are kept absolutely bone dry. As soon as they get damp, they will have the opposite effect and will start drawing heat out of the hutch. For this reason I don't recommend them as I think it is very hard to keep them properly dry...much better to use something like bubble wrap or the space blanket type stuff which Helen referred to earlier.

I'd also use common sense on straw v hay - my straw is much softer than the hay, which is pretty stalky and much more likely to cause injury! But I still top my straw with hay so the buns have something to munch on while they nap.

Although if yours are anything like mine, with all the lovely cosy warm dry bits sorted for them, they'll spend most of their time outside in their runs anyway :roll:

Some ventilation is definitely very important - even in winter. You can get quite a build up of gasses from the latrine area that can irritate the respiratory passages in rabbits (for those owners who don't change the latrine area daily or use a litter tray). I've always wondered about those totally enclosing hutch hugger covers i've seen - I can't imagine they are very sensible for long term use at all if they provide no ventilation. Woodshaving used in unventilated areas are also not a great idea with the build up of phenols. So yes, keep bunny warm and insulated and cover the hutch as much as possible, but leave a ventilation gap near the top if you can. :)

All excellent advice - just a couple of things to add (edit: now the two threads have been merged, some of this is covered already but I'll keep it here anyway :lol:)

When insulating your hutch, remember it is important to keep air flow. Of course you want to protect them from howling gales and draughts but there does need to remain a steady stream of ventilation. Covering the entire fronts over will cause a build up of damp, stale air inside the hutch which is a recipe for respiratory disease including sudden onset pneumonia which will more than likely kill the occupant :(

Similarly, if anyone uses things like duvets and blankets, it is vital that they are kept absolutely bone dry. As soon as they get damp, they will have the opposite effect and will start drawing heat out of the hutch. For this reason I don't recommend them as I think it is very hard to keep them properly dry...much better to use something like bubble wrap or the space blanket type stuff which Helen referred to earlier.

I'd also use common sense on straw v hay - my straw is much softer than the hay, which is pretty stalky and much more likely to cause injury! But I still top my straw with hay so the buns have something to munch on while they nap.

Although if yours are anything like mine, with all the lovely cosy warm dry bits sorted for them, they'll spend most of their time outside in their runs anyway :roll:

:roll: Beat me to it! :lol::D

All excellent advice - just a couple of things to add.

In addition to this Alison, the air flow is imperative for the hay not to develop moulds. I have put up hay racks (letter box cages) and have noticed that they hay in those is getting quite damp despite the wendy's being dry. So without air flow the spores will develop and as has been said above infections can spread.

So dry is good :D

I keep the main bulk of my hay/bles out in the shed, however, to keep it nice and dry I fill a bin bag (you could use a carrier bag) fill it with hay and keep it indoors so it's dry and fresh, refill the bag as needed, saves them having to eat damp hay.
Re the hutch huggers, when I had one I leant a sweeping brush against the hutch then rolled the cover down and fastened it at the sides, this allowed ventilation, you can increase the depth of the slope from the handle to allow for a good gap whilst still keeping them dry.

I keep the main bulk of my hay/bles out in the shed, however, to keep it nice and dry I fill a bin bag (you could use a carrier bag) fill it with hay and keep it indoors so it's dry and fresh, refill the bag as needed, saves them having to eat damp hay.
Re the hutch huggers, when I had one I leant a sweeping brush against the hutch then rolled the cover down and fastened it at the sides, this allowed ventilation, you can increase the depth of the slope from the handle to allow for a good gap whilst still keeping them dry.

Good tip :D

Back