• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Black stuff in hay

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Can someone help me out with this.

I've got a load of black podded stuff in my hay bale. I just want to check it's ok for the bunnies to eat. I put a bit on the floor to photograph and Smudge ran off with it you see. :roll:

_IGP0871-vi.jpg

I think it's probably vetch but I'm not entirely sure and would like a second opinion. Also can someone confirm if it is vetch that it's safe?

I have had this in my hay as well, I have been pulling out all I can see of it as wasn't sure what it was, if it is vetch though is it safe or not? :?

Im stumped! Was it a bag of hay or a bale? can you return it? Hopefully someone a little more experienced will answer soon .:)

Bale, I can't really return it, can't get the car off the drive!! I think I'll carry on getting out what I can.

Aargh, it's really hard trying to get it out cos the hay goes everywhere and I end up sneezing and sneezing. Not sure what to do. I can't get any more at the moment. I think I'll have to brave it out until the snow goes and try and get another bale unless I get a concrete answer. :( They are ignoring any bits left in, I watched them for a while and every time they bobbed up with a bit of hay it was green or yellow, not this thick black stuff.

Sorry I can't say for sure, I just don't know :oops: Identification of dried plants is pretty tricky. I'd say at a guess it was vetch but there are lots of different varieties all producing characteristic pods, and according to my plant book for buns it is safe and a good forage. However, it is impossible to say for certain that this is what it is. I think if the buns are avoiding it anyway I wouldn't be unduly concerned. :wave:

I have no idea I'm afraid. You could try pm'ing thumps_ as she does a lot of foraging and knows a lot about wild plants.

I had this in hay in the summer - my rabbits ignored it too but I returned the bale just in case, the forage seller thought it was Lucerne (Alfalfa) but I was told on here that it was Vetch, some members grow vetch especially for their buns so it seems it is ok. Might have been Blackberry & Co but my memory's not so good!

Had a quick search, looks like it was this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=247387&highlight=vetch

Last edited:
Sorry I can't say for sure, I just don't know :oops: Identification of dried plants is pretty tricky. I'd say at a guess it was vetch but there are lots of different varieties all producing characteristic pods, and according to my plant book for buns it is safe and a good forage. However, it is impossible to say for certain that this is what it is. I think if the buns are avoiding it anyway I wouldn't be unduly concerned. :wave:

Thank you for looking though! They are definitely ignoring it.

I have no idea I'm afraid. You could try pm'ing thumps_ as she does a lot of foraging and knows a lot about wild plants.

She hasn't been on that much. Not sure how thumper is. I might ask her to take a look :)

I had this in hay in the summer - my rabbits ignored it too but I returned the bale just in case, the forage seller thought it was Lucerne (Alfalfa) but I was told on here that it was Vetch, some members grow vetch especially for their buns so it seems it is ok. Might have been Blackberry & Co but my memory's not so good!

Had a quick search, looks like it was this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=247387&highlight=vetch

Yeah I found that one too. I don't think it's Alfalfa as I actually have a bit of alfalfa that I used to help Mischa put on some weight and it's a lot thicker stemmed than that.

I kept on pulling any bits out I could find as I didn't want to risk it but Im sure some sneaked through! But it's a nightmare as it's all tangled in the hay so you pull a bit out and lose a load of hay with it all over the place!

I kept on pulling any bits out I could find as I didn't want to risk it but Im sure some sneaked through! But it's a nightmare as it's all tangled in the hay so you pull a bit out and lose a load of hay with it all over the place!

Yeah this is too, all the hay seems to stick to it. In the trays this morning most of the hay is gone and there's a bit of the black stuff so I definitely think that are avoiding it.

Back