• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

winter exercise problem

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Spenser seems to be doing OK in the cold, but is not getting much exercise. After a quick turn round his run he is happy to return to the hutch and spends a lot of time sat on his blankie! I'm wary of bringing him into the house - we don't have the warmest of houses, but it would still be a difference of 10-15 degrees. I'm beginning to consider taking the plunge and letting him freerange in the garden under supervision.

How's other outdoor buns getting on in the exercise department? :wave:

My buns are just sitting in the corners of their sheds getting fatter :shock:

I've tried to get them out and about but they're only interested in eating and snuggling.

I couldn't get my 2 back in last night after free ranging :roll:
Most other nights they have taken themselves off upstairs in their hutch before I go out with their tea. But they have been hoolying about beforehand. Wish i had a thick rexy coat like them :lol:

Chickened out free ranging for Spenser today, but am not ruling it out. He actually got quite a bit of exercise while 'helping' me tidy his bedroom/toilet. :roll::lol: It appears I did not make up his washing-up bowl bed to his satisfaction, because he pulled all the newspaper out, and much of the hay/straw. It has now had the royal rabbit seal of approval in the form of a healthy pile of poops. :lol::lol:

What's his usual run setup? Covering the top might raise the temperature slightly and reduce damp. You could also add some boxes/platforms so he has a dry spot to rest without going inside. Scattering his food at dinner time will encourage exercise too.

At the moment his run is just a Trixie playpen on the slabs outside the hutch. Some of the pegs are firmly fixed between the slabs (indeed now frozen into the ground!) so it is fairly stable, although I know far from ideal. I'm looking into getting a covered run made for him that he will have access to 24 hours. Ideally I want to make his setup such that I will be able to get him a partner at some point in the future.

Generally when left to their own devices and in the absence of another bun or human to be inquisitive with they will often just sit around, mine do it just as much in the warmth of the house. If there is something going on in the room, or they get to go freerange outside briefly then they do both perk up. It is quite normal for less activity at this time of year though so try not to worry - wild buns won't be exercising as much either and may even spend the odd day totally underground if the weather is really bad, buns metabolism slows a little in winter with the changing light and in the cold they will be conserving their energy for the important things e.g. eating.
If Spenser can do some supervised play free range or if you can think of things to do out there with him (and keep warm yourself!) he's bound to wake up a bit and have more of a play. :)

I think plastic shower curtains come quite well recommended and are cheap from a pound shop of similar. If you covered over with that it would act like a mini greenhouse and should raise the temperature underneath slightly :)

I'm mainly at home just now, and am becoming very much hardier as regards standing about in the cold. I spent much longer than necessary tidying the hutch today because I knew it was providing stimulation for Spenser. He will always take off at a great rate if I even pretend to pick him up, so that's another way of giving him exercise. Hadn't thought of plastic shower curtains - might give that a go, thanks for the idea.

Back