• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why do rescues never reply?

neenee

Warren Scout
Im starting to feel really rubbish as ive contacted several rescues with only about two getting back to me. I know rescues are very very busy but i cant help feeling they just dont want to rehome a rabbit to me :( Im really rubbish speaking on the phone and i feel i dont get everything i want to say in a phone call which is why i opt for emailing. I know i could give a really good home to a rescue so it must be the way i word the email :?

ETA: this is not a slate at the rescues! I know they work very hard im just feeling down :)

Last edited:
Awww hun a lot will be busy - some will be struggling with the weather at the mo too. Whereabouts in the country are you?

Awww hun a lot will be busy - some will be struggling with the weather at the mo too. Whereabouts in the country are you?

I know, just having one of those days :oops: I really need to phone it would be way quicker i just always make a fool of myself and i know i dont get across what a good home the rabbits would be getting (sorry if that sounds vain haha) Im in aberdeen, scotland.

I know, just having one of those days :oops: I really need to phone it would be way quicker i just always make a fool of myself and i know i dont get across what a good home the rabbits would be getting (sorry if that sounds vain haha) Im in aberdeen, scotland.

How are you trying to contact? Is it by email? A lot of rescues wont regularly check their emails phoning would be the best option :D

How are you trying to contact? Is it by email? A lot of rescues wont regularly check their emails phoning would be the best option :D

And if you're like me and hate phoning then write a good old fashioned letter - that would probably be read straight away when an inbox might not be checked very often :)

A lot of places have published e-mail addresses that they never check because they get so little real e-mail traffic.

Sometimes it helps to write a sort of script before making phonecalls that are likely to make you nervous. (Sounds silly, but I have a tendency to 'umm' a lot on the phone and it really helps:oops:).

Can we help you draft one?
:wave:

And if you're like me and hate phoning then write a good old fashioned letter - that would probably be read straight away when an inbox might not be checked very often :)

I think they would be more put off :lol: Honestly my handwriting is awful haha might get my mum to write me one lmao ;)

Dizzyg- actually that is a really good idea! I make such a fool of myself on the phone :oops: Im not like that in person i just want to make sure every details covered like how ive got a shed, my rabbits personality etc

Ive put an ad on gumtree for a solo female rabbit and ive had a reply already. Would it be bad to get an adult from gumtree? Technically its rescuing :oops: and i would be rehoming a rabbit that could end up in bad hands. This rabbit is a 9 month old opal lop eared. All thats different from a rescue is paying for the spaying and neutering myself which im happy to do

Im starting to feel really rubbish as ive contacted several rescues with only about two getting back to me. I know rescues are very very busy but i cant help feeling they just dont want to rehome a rabbit to me :( Im really rubbish speaking on the phone and i feel i dont get everything i want to say in a phone call which is why i opt for emailing. I know i could give a really good home to a rescue so it must be the way i word the email :?

ETA: this is not a slate at the rescues! I know they work very hard im just feeling down :)

Hi Neenee

Where do you live? I work with a number of rescues as a volunteer.

Please dont lose heart, just remember, a lot of the rescues have around 100 buns, with this weather they are working incredibly hard to keep the buns warm, dry, fed, clean and with fresh, unfrozen water. Its hard work and none stop and in most cases relies heavily on volunteers just to get all the buns done in a day.

Please dont worry about making a fool of yourself on the phone, bringing a pair of buns home and probably saving them is a massive, massive reward for making the effort.

Please also remember that most rescues will want to carry out a home visit first and right now. finding the time for that may be difficult while the snow is so bad.

If you have time and you live near one. why dont you just ring and ask them if they need help and then take it from there? Believe me, they will be grateful for your call and you will be glad you made it. :love:

Hi Neenee

Where do you live? I work with a number of rescues as a volunteer.

Please dont lose heart, just remember, a lot of the rescues have around 100 buns, with this weather they are working incredibly hard to keep the buns warm, dry, fed, clean and with fresh, unfrozen water. Its hard work and none stop and in most cases relies heavily on volunteers just to get all the buns done in a day.

Please dont worry about making a fool of yourself on the phone, bringing a pair of buns home and probably saving them is a massive, massive reward for making the effort.

Please also remember that most rescues will want to carry out a home visit first and right now. finding the time for that may be difficult while the snow is so bad.

If you have time and you live near one. why dont you just ring and ask them if they need help and then take it from there? Believe me, they will be grateful for your call and you will be glad you made it. :love:

I dont want to come across as spoilt :oops: I do know the hard work put into rescues i completely admire them :) I have offered to volunteer for the only rescue near me but then realised its in the middle of nowhere and i dont drive :( I may be fostering for another rescue in the future though which is exciting :) I live in aberdeen, scotland. Think i will have a bash at this phone thing :lol: Hopefully i come across ok!

As a rescue and I only speak for myself, I have 33 guinea pigs, 2 which are poorly, 9 piggies in foster homes, 2 rabbits in foster home and 5 rabbits here, it is hard to juggle the looking after, the admin, fundraising etc and yes I know I am slow to get back to people, often I have to just email to say, I will reply fully later...that may mean a 2 day wait. Phone calls are the same, sometimes I just cant answer all the calls as I wouldnt get anything done.
Its a juggling game, just a shame your having a bad time at the moment in trying to contact that.

Just off out to do the afternoon check on the rabbits, if I can find them in their hay !!!!

As a rescue and I only speak for myself, I have 33 guinea pigs, 2 which are poorly, 9 piggies in foster homes, 2 rabbits in foster home and 5 rabbits here, it is hard to juggle the looking after, the admin, fundraising etc and yes I know I am slow to get back to people, often I have to just email to say, I will reply fully later...that may mean a 2 day wait. Phone calls are the same, sometimes I just cant answer all the calls as I wouldnt get anything done.
Its a juggling game, just a shame your having a bad time at the moment in trying to contact that.

Just off out to do the afternoon check on the rabbits, if I can find them in their hay !!!!

Completely agree. A complete juggling act on a daily basis and we always feel out of control as things are always beyond our control - particularly the weather and animals ailments at this time of year.:roll: Sometimes when I have been at work and got home to do the chores and my partner is away I can only fall into bed without even checking the full answer machine or E-mails:oops::oops:.

One would say that I could actually be doing something more constructive than being on RU now actually but only came in to defrost.

Didn't Honeybunnies offer to sort a bun run out to Scotland for you?

I might be mis-remembering?

Didnt mean anything offensive by this post, just realised after id posted it :oops: By not replying i mean weeks, i would understand if they took a few days to pass :)
I phoned a rescue today, i may sound remedial by saying that :lol: I just left a message though and im not holding much hope for them because i think they also breed which kind of defeats the purpose of being a breeder :?
I think ive fallen in love with a gumtree bun :oops: i put an ad up saying i was looking for a solo female, got a reply from a lady whos just sent me pictures of her, shes gorgeous and she is relaxed around dogs (have photos of her flopped out beside one) shes perfect really. Should i go for it??

im very bad on the phone,stutter terrible or say something stupid :oops: so far iv fallen in love with 3 giants:lol: and darent ring regarding any.plus i live so far away from all rescues.if youve fallen for the gumtree one then why not?thats how i got my honey and ok hypo dude.but i realy want rescue.shame you werent closer,theres a gorgeous neutered newzeland white doe free to good home.

im very bad on the phone,stutter terrible or say something stupid :oops: so far iv fallen in love with 3 giants:lol: and darent ring regarding any.plus i live so far away from all rescues.if youve fallen for the gumtree one then why not?thats how i got my honey and ok hypo dude.but i realy want rescue.shame you werent closer,theres a gorgeous neutered newzeland white doe free to good home.

Please pleeeeeeeeease give Jill a call re. the two she has. They so need a home and I fear they will be in the rescue an awful long time :cry: If you prefer she will call you or email with more details? :)

We found the same problem to start with and believe its because emails are low priority if you are busy looking after animals.
You just need to find the right person as we did eventually after several emails and phones messages being left until we found the right person who also is a good at communicating.
Do you have any RSPCA centres you could visit as they often have rabbits needing forever homes.
Good luck:rabbit2:
p.s we have now adopted six rabbits.

We found the same problem to start with and believe its because emails are low priority if you are busy looking after animals.
You just need to find the right person as we did eventually after several emails and phones messages being left until we found the right person who also is a good at communicating.
Do you have any RSPCA centres you could visit as they often have rabbits needing forever homes.
Good luck:rabbit2:
p.s we have now adopted six rabbits.

The nearest RSPCA is in glasgow. I have no problem travelling for the perfect rabbit its just id rather meet them first if im honest. For some reason all the rescues round here are empty or have rabbits with special needs or elderly rabbits that are not up for adoption.

Back