• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eating snow

JLG

Mama Doe
Do anyone else's buns do this and should I be concerned?
At free range time (early morning and when i get in at night) my 2 get a fresh bowl of water taken out to them while I do the other jobs and they get play time.
Both have been happily crunching on snow and ice despite having water available in bowls and bottles :shock:
They come and have a drink but then hop off and start eating the snow :roll:

Yep, we brought Sonny in the garage as he was getting snowed in! We noticed that he was eating the snow that had drifted in, so I give him a bowlfull now and he's very happy munching on that!

Iv'e been so worried about this too, my buns have been having short scoots in and out all morning, the cold snow wont upset their tums will it? xx

My brother always put a bowl of snow in for Simba so if the water bowl froze over she could still eat the snow and get some water. :)

Mine were eating frozen leaves the other day and don't seem to have had a problem!

i was thinking this but i thought frozen things were dangourous to buns........is snow ok then.
sorry my question mark keys works when it wants.....:roll:

i was thinking this but i thought frozen things were dangourous to buns........is snow ok then.
sorry my question mark keys works when it wants.....:roll:

Thats what i thought, mine have been munching frozen bramble. xx

Can't remember all the sciencey stuff behind it but apparently snow should NOT be given to rabbits, as yes it would most likely upset their insides

Finally had some snow in the deep South, about 6 inches, and the first thing Mr Nino did when he hopped out into it was eat it! :roll::lol: He also went crazy digging - something he never does :love:

2 christmas's ago bunny got statis i thought it was down to a small piece of apple but the vet asked me if any of it could of frozen if she hadnt eaten it straight away. (the weather was freezing at the time) :? :?

Mine love eating frozen brambles too. I've never heard about frozen things being bad for rabbits, that's worrying. Surely that's what they'd eat in the wild?

i think this too :?........and drinking the water from the bottle before it acually freezes, then it would be ice cold! :?

Back