• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Get your rabbit some snuggle safes immediately or else they'll frozen to death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
http://www.pressdispensary.co.uk/releases/c992867.php

RWAF Chief Executive, Rae Todd, said, "The John Lewis advert has received justifiable criticism but if it showed a child hanging out a stocking full of carrots on a small, snow covered hutch of a single rabbit, would there have been as much of an outcry? Countless thousands of rabbits are kept alone in a small hutch, with little or no space to exercise. What can they do all day stuck on their own in a hutch? They cannot bark so they suffer in silence.

Anne Mitchell, who runs the RWAF helpline. agrees. "I receive a huge amount of calls in the winter from distressed owners who have found their rabbit frozen to death in its hutch. People think that because they have fur coats they’re fine in the cold, but the truth is that in the wild they live underground where the temperature only varies a few degrees between winter and summer, in large groups sharing body warmth. Rabbits are not designed to live alone, and they're not designed to live in a small wooden box in the garden."

This is urgent. Don't leave your bun in the hutch by itself, they have to be in groups, not alone

The cost of them getting sick, medical treatment, etc. will be a lot more than those snuggle safes.

Last edited:
I think I may try the brick thing today. Its not mega cold during the day but the bottles are freezing overnight. I make sure mine have plenty to eat too and have upped their pellet portions just to keep their tummies going.

Helen xx

My OH keeps going mad about the hay inside the microwave - he got a 2 word reply which I will not repeat here! I'm worried about them enough as it is

My 2 single are staying out, 1 with and 1 without a snugglesafe.

Thank you for your "advice" but I think you could have worded it im a more people friendly way.

There are lots of younger people on the forum who can be easily upset by your "helpful" post.

I had rabbits when i was much younger, they lived alone, outside with no snugglesafe or anything, just lots of hay and straw and neither froze to death during the harsh scottish winter.

I think this is just a bit of scaremongering personally.

Thank you for your "advice" but I think you could have worded it im a more people friendly way.

There are lots of younger people on the forum who can be easily upset by your "helpful" post.

AGREED.

I had rabbits when i was much younger, they lived alone, outside with no snugglesafe or anything, just lots of hay and straw and neither froze to death during the harsh scottish winter.

I think this is just a bit of scaremongering personally.

I agree with this apart from the Scotland bit:lol:

As others have said, I think that is a very harsh and blunt way of putting it, people worry enough about their rabbits in this weather as it is without having to be told the will freeze to death...

but it's not my advice. It's the RWAF chief and his asst. that said the above. I simply quote what they said:

Anne Mitchell, who runs the RWAF helpline. agrees. "I receive a huge amount of calls in the winter from distressed owners who have found their rabbit frozen to death in its hutch.

i have to agree, the tone of the thread title is seriously over the top.

You may well now cause unjustified panic and concern to people.

May i suggest you change the thread title to something a little less panic provoking?

"Get your Rabbit some Snuggle Safes - They will help with the Very Cold Weather"

Many people could find your thread title disturbing and upsetting.

Whilst i appreciate the sentiment behind it, and perhaps that your english language skills are not perhaps as good as some peoples (thats not meant offensively, you member profile states you are from canada, so perhaps a french canadian? :)) i think it might be best re-worded :wave:

omg im so scared now :| mines have 2 snuggle safes and straw,hay in boxes etc and they also live in the shed but the shed has got holes in it (covered with mesh) its only temp for now but they will be in there till at least summer :( feels alright when i sit in there though.
Rufas' breeder had 3 litter freeze to death last winter and she laughed at me when i said id bought rufas a snuggle safe for his first winter "rabbits dont need such things they are hardy animals how do you think they survive in the wild?" i was disgusted with this comment, silly woman knowns nothing, they have warrens in the wild!

I agree with Snowberry. I have 2 single outdoor buns because they CANT be bonded due to aggression/behavioural issues. I found that post rather 'in your face', it could have been worded in a much more friendly way!!

Although keeping single rabbits is not ideal, some very caring rabbit-owners do have single bunnies for various reasons. I have a snugglesafe ordered for my single bunny, and the meantime am doing all that straw, blankets and regular checks can do to ensure he is OK.

ditto, Not to mention the vast majority of people on here are well aware that rabbits should be kept in groups and kept warm in the winter.

I don't have snugglesafes for my rabbits because there are three of them to keep each other warm in a hutch filled with straw inside a shed. They all have their winter coats and it isn't actually that cold here at the moment. No snow, no frozen water. When it does start to ice up we'll probably put hot water bottles under their bedding.

Snugglesafes are great, but it's not like anyone who doesn't have them will wake up to a dead bunny :roll:
A lot of the younger members (in fact, members full stop!) can't afford snugglesafes and there's no need to make them feel bad about it.

those without snugglesafe's please do not worry, they aren't very warm anyway
the article does not state you need a snugglesafe to keep your bunny alive :roll:
The RWAF urges owners not to forget their rabbits in the cold winter months. It advises that hutches and runs should be brought into sheds or covered, water bottles should be fitted with sleeves (available from pet shops) to stop them freezing, and extra bedding should be provided.

Im sure you all have the commen sence to do this for your bunnies, and more so for those singles out there. Obviously you will do the best for your bunny, if you cant move the hutch just provide more bedding and make sure the hutch is covered :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back