• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Potential Bunny Housing Disaster!!

Bitzy

Mama Doe
OK sounds a bit more dramatic than it actually is but basically .......OH's dad has had a heart attack, he's in his 70's, has prostate cancer also and lost his partner of 30 years in March so really he's in a bit of a state and the heart attack (apparently a silent one !?!?) has left him very unsteady on his feet and quite confused (they're hoping it wont be permanent but only time will tell).

He may be coming to stay with us next week as none of the other relatives have any spare room at the inn!

If he does come to live with us for a while, there's no way I can have the bunnies in their current set up as he just won't be able to cope. (just in case you don't know they've just been brought indoors for the winter and are currently living in our smallest spare room with the run of the landing).

He's really really unsteady on his feet and having two rabbits bombing up and down the landing will just be too much for him. Also, with him being confused I don't want to leave him with them all day as anything could happen (he could leave a door open, accidentally stand on them, have a fall if they're round his feet etc etc).

So, if he does come to stay (we should know for def in the next couple of days) it looks like my ickle sweetie pies will have to go back outside again!! :shock: :( :shock: :(

The room they've been staying in is the coldest in the house and we've also had the window open and the heating off in there so luckily they haven't started moulting yet and still have their full winter coats.

However, they're having their mixy jab on Saturday and I was a bit worried about putting them back outside immediately afterwards just in case it makes them feel a bit off colour.

So, if needs must .....am I best to put them back out now so they get used to the cold again before Sat and just put them straight out again after their jab??

Put them out now but keep them in for a few hours on Sat after their jab??

Or wait til Monday to put them out so they can recover indoors for a day or so after the jab??

If I wait til Monday to put them out, it gives us time to weatherproof the aviary a bit better, get some tarp secured up, some perspex on the hutch, carpet lining the hutch floor & walls etc etc .... but in the meantime do I let them out for an hour or so each day so they don't get too used to the warmth of the house (cos even though its the coldest room, its warmer than being outside)!

I'm absolutely gutted that I may have to put them back outside, especially as they're just warming to me a bit (no pun intended there)...... but I can't risk my Father in Law having a fall or something (if they're jumping round his legs) and I don't want to confine them to just the bedroom (8ft x 7ft) when they've been used to their 15ft x 6ft aviary until just recently!

Sorry for the long ramble but my heads a bit mashed thinking about it all ....I don't know what to do for the best!!

Any advice??

Jo x

If I were you I would confine them to the bedroom, it is still a good size, then maybe have them out when you are home to supervise?

What a lot for one man to be going through!

I personally would keep the bunnies in, but keep them shut in the room they are in and keep the landing clear. You may find that having bunnies around will help his recovery, and he might enjoy sitting with them. 8 x 7 is still a huge amount of room compared with what a lot of bunnies get.

Do you really think that's big enough?? :)

I feel mean confining them in there just at nighttime because they're soo used to the big space in the aviary but I'll be gutted if they have to go out ....I feel like I'm just properly starting to bond with them :love:

If I were you I would confine them to the bedroom, it is still a good size, then maybe have them out when you are home to supervise?

I agree with this, better have a little less space over a winter and be warmer and able to spend more time with them :)

If you let them out for a run for a few hours supervised when your FIL is resting then I am sure they will be fine, especially if they have lots to occupy them and chew :)

Good luck with it al,l its sounds like you are having a stressful time xx

Thanks, its such an awkward position to be in, I really feel for my FIL and also for hubby ... I love having the bunnies indoors but don't want to look like I'm putting the bunnies before FIL! :oops:

Do you have another spare room for your FIL? If so just confine the bunnies to thier room while you arent in so FIL cant trip over them :wave:

Do you have another spare room for your FIL? If so just confine the bunnies to thier room while you arent in so FIL cant trip over them :wave:

Yeah FIL will be in the big spare bedroom, bunnies in the small spare bedroom.

I was just worried it wouldn't be enough room for them and they'd be unhappy!! Do bunnies have long memories?? Do they have the potential to pine for the bigger area they used to have??

Yeah FIL will be in the big spare bedroom, bunnies in the small spare bedroom.

I was just worried it wouldn't be enough room for them and they'd be unhappy!! Do bunnies have long memories?? Do they have the potential to pine for the bigger area they used to have??

The pics from the other day show that room is ample i'd say Jo, personally.

They have more room in that room than my two have in their whole free-range area going on pics alone :wave:

Bunnies in little room sounds perfect and just let them out to the hallway if you want to when you can :)

I was just worried it wouldn't be enough room for them and they'd be unhappy!!

I suspect they'll be happier indoors with the smaller room rather than outdoors with lots of potential space but spending all their time huddled in one place trying to keep warm :) I'm sure they'll be fine :)

Really sorry to hear about your FIL

I would think the spare room is big enough A and E are in a 5x7 shed and seem quite happy. You could let them out supervised when you are there. If you are worried could you maybe put a padlock on the spare room?

Thanks everyone ........ feel a bit better about it now! :)

I do so want to do what's best for them little monkeys!! :love:

Back