• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bad Weather = Dumped Rabbits

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
We have been having an average of 8 calls a day to take in rabbits:cry:

the number of unwanted animals per call has ranged from 1 to 7...all these people have "valid" reasons why they can no longer keep their pets.....a lot of them seem to have developed allergies or have landlords that have decided to throw them out " TODAY "... just as the bad weather arrives.....

Even had a vet practice ask me to take a bun who they are going to pts as has been dumped on them

:cry::censored::censored:

Oh no! Poor bunnies.
It is tough going outside in this weather to clear snow from runs, change water bottles and heat snugglesafes, but they are our responsibility.

:cry::cry::cry: Can't really help cos of driving conditions.

I actually had to dig out my trio this morning - their hutch & run was in the usually-sheltered spot of the garden, but the wind had turmed it into a drift:shock:

I love it when people use allergies as an excuse. I've suffered from hives for a couple of years and think it's either my rabbits or hay. So I take antihistamines!! I'd never dream of giving up my buns :shock:

And I dress up like the Michelin man to go out at 0615. It's very windy and bitterly cold, yet I was with them for over an hour this morning, while they generally ignored me :lol:

I love it when people use allergies as an excuse. I've suffered from hives for a couple of years and think it's either my rabbits or hay. So I take antihistamines!! I'd never dream of giving up my buns :shock:

And I dress up like the Michelin man to go out at 0615. It's very windy and bitterly cold, yet I was with them for over an hour this morning, while they generally ignored me :lol:

Oopsie - double post. Must be more patient

How can people do this? :evil::censored:

It's a privilege to have buns in your life, but it's also a huge responsibility.

If people don't want the responsibility - don't get buns.

These "valid excuses" never mention what, I suspect, is often the "real" reason. They can't be "bothered" any more. :roll:

Unfortunately, the buns' lives depend on them. :cry:

Apologies for rant. :oops:

Poor, poor bunnies! :cry::cry: If only people thought a bit more before taking on a rabbit. Winter is after all something that happens every year!

Jill

Can you (or do you already) keep the details of all the calls? MMC would be interested to have the stats/reasons for a part of our campaign survey we are working on - in addition to the rabbits that get into rescues, we'd like to hear about the ones that don't.

:(Thats so sad people can make the effort for their pets....Lately Ive been hanving trouble breathing with my chest closing up & not being able to sleep with coughing...its aweful....flares upwhen Im near the buns or hay - but its only been lately so may just be ill more than an allergy...but Id probably just put the buns outdoors if it got really bad....

Poor bunnies being pts as no one can be bothered with them....so very sad...:cry:

:cry::cry: poor bunnies. An old friend of mine who I don't really see anymore has a single bunny outside in a little hutch I keep trying to spy on her facebook pics to see her winter accommodation but haven't seen anything :(

Jill

Can you (or do you already) keep the details of all the calls? MMC would be interested to have the stats/reasons for a part of our campaign survey we are working on - in addition to the rabbits that get into rescues, we'd like to hear about the ones that don't.

That sounds like a good idea, bit like keeping stats of all the 'ex PAH home' bunnies maybe? Maybe if all rescues kept really accurate records and they were co-ordinated the 'authorities' might realise just how shocking it is.

oh what a shame :cry: especially as the weather is so bad at the minute.im allergic to hay and fur but id never rehome my two because of these reasons:(

I don't know how you do it, I don't think I could keep my temper and I'd end up killing myself with too many rabbits I couldnt look after especially if they were going to be PTS. Respect to everyone who runs a rescue.

:censored:f:evil:f:censored:s

thinking about dumped animals during this year makes me so:censored:angry! i wish i could help but in my tiny house at the mo i have the (separate) buns and 2 huge piggy cages - and bronchitis, chest infection, asthma - yes, i'm ill and allergic to hay (and wee)! and no way would i even contemplate my companions not being in the warmth i am lucky to have.

sorry jill, totally pointless post:oops:

Poor bunnies and poor you having to field all the calls!

It's not like it's that much more effort to look after then in this weather - extra hay, extra bedding, bit of snow shovelling, some blankets, and spare water bottles so they can be changed regularily - how hard can it be ? (just be late for work like I have been the last couple of days :oops:)

Hannah :)

Back