• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

vibes for little merlin..please please...UPDATE...

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
hes been in the vets since monday morning...a routine session of stress related stasis i thought..then the shock and horror with poor dazy-mae.
bertie got sick too and i then thought merlin just had a dental..he was very odd kept hiding and kept coming out for food tho..bless him:)

his poos had been small and hard for a few days..like i said dazy-mae took priority and he gets like it with his teeth. lucky i had some metaclop syrup.

i got dazy-maes metaclop and metacam from the vets and was feeding him that..i didnt do force feeds as hes a very squirmy bun and he was still eating and begging for food...even if hes not allowed it..he still begs for it:lol:

The vet said the mass/thickening wasnt anyhting shed come across before...and it was certainly very tender there which explained the probs with picking him up trying to medicate him and why we didnt even attempt a feed.
he needed a dental..not a massive spur...no soft tissue damage..but his right molar spur always makes him ill....other buns wouldnt even notice it but like my bridge bun bif..a teeny spur makes it painful enough for him.

they xrayed him whilst he was out under ga.
the thickening had no gas build up either side of it and wasnt opaque enough to be something hed eaten..like the two holes hed chewed out of my long curtains which he did whilst waiting for the taxi to be put in the carrier:oops: or even fur where he kept grooming bertie.
but it was very bright..like calcium but it had the constincency of poo but calcification bright. theres also some around his kidenys ive been told today...and and his bladder:( yet hes showed no signs of bladder sludge.

i felt so ashamed where hed been so grumpy for a few weeks and id been bad with my blackouts....i couldnt cut his nails...nikki had been too ill to help when i could catch him.

his toe nails needed cutting...badly...id neglected him poor sould...and berties bum...she must think im an awful owner:(

but theyve told me hes not eating on his own at all..and stopped pooping yesterday:(
hes been on motility meds...must ask about zantac on phone in morning....
hes on fluids.....and hes been syringe fed and is being tempted with greens..herbs etc to get him eating again.

Today id been told he was the same and theyd have to take bloods. Then a confession they couldnt get any...the shift change vet would do it and update me.

this evening i was updated...hes taking his feeds fine.....still. In fact the nurse there who cared for him from the off is very attached to him and is the one to insist on syringe feeding him as hes so good...is that the same rabbit?:shock:
The vet also said hed pooped a few spoonfuls....still hard and small but poops all the same. the nurse said shed never been so pleased to see a rabbit poop!
hes a lovely little fluffball and he was bright enough they said..in fact he was a bit brighter..oh no.
my heart sunk at that because everytime i hear that its the calm before the storm..or the final fling before imminent death...with animals and people ive experienced this many times:cry:

they got bloods taken and they were couriered off to the labs this evening. they dont have their own labs there.

the costs so far incurred with necropsy and cremation of dazy-mae....berties consult and meds which i left behind,,but had a little at home to begin wth....and merlins first 24hrs dental....not inclluded is over £700:shock:

by tomorrow i could well be looking aty best part of a thousand pounds!
oh my gods thank goodness i have insurance but have to pay first and wait for darned cheque...

i had my bloomin bank account hacked....i was a mess yesterday evening..today i grabbed a little more sleep..hoping it would stop blackouts..it actually helped a lot...that and getting the bank sorted out.they shut my account down without telling me!! oh but we did try to contact you on the 25th...what with...telepathy!

the cost is awful but i will get refunded apart from the dental...being pts and cremation and necropsy.

the necropsy is for the benefit of my buns...bluebelle her sister....and more importantly..the rescue and their vet...and the other sister being rehomed soon.

but please i know now dazy-mae was a lost cause...probably congenital neurological problem....hence her being so clutsy and in a daze....and the aggression towards the cats and merlin but not bertie (merlins a black lionhead who is a pseodocat:oops:)

Merlin however could pull through for a while at least....please please send vibes for our little tribble...berties best buddy and personal valet...and a cuddly friendly little bunny. weve had him since 6th july 2009..he came to us as thumper from rosies rabbit rescue..julie.....and was bunrun to us by pretty lupin..vicky and her hubby.
hes such a little furry termite..merlin the destroyer of all things..but hes so sweet and cuddly....and worships the ground bertie lollops on...mind you who doesnt:lol::lol:

we need this little guy to get well enough to come home....its not the same without his little furry chops and moulting fat furry little bum.

bluebell and bertie have a you dont fight me..i wont fight you relationship going on. bluebells fave snooze spots in the kitchen in front of the tumble drier under the clothes airer...quiet..dark and warm. but now shes after company other than the mad two little kittens and the four year old kitten called zuzu:oops:

this house is so full of sadness right now.
my poor mum in the past few weeks has finally got to know merlin and adores him...even tho bertie is her fave...nannys boy:oops:

as much vibes as poss...and anyone who can suggest what it is he may have as theyve had the same..please post or pm me.

thank you guys xx

Last edited:
Lots and lots of vibes for this special little man :love: xxx

074.jpg

Keep us updated Debbie and good luck, thinking of you all x

I've replied on your other thread, Debbie.

If you ever need any help with the bunsters or cats, please text me as I am happy to come over and help hold a bun or cut nails. I've bought a special 'bag' from my vet with lots of zips which makes it easier to access the part of the animal you need to work on and stop the rest wriggling. As I live alone and have so many fur children I thought it was a good investment. Am happy to bring it over and help you.

I do work long hours but you are so local I can easily spare half an hour, although given the snow it would take a bit longer at the moment!

So glad you are insured. Only two of my eighteen fur children are. The premiums would be astronomical so I keep a credit card only for use for the buns, cats or car.

Blimey your having a really tough time, I'm very sorry to hear about Merlin and of course send lots of healing vibes that he can pull through for you. xx

thank you all so much xx

keep em coming......hes had his bloods back.....kidneys ok...liver level high but in total the liver proteins are ok. SO it could be an infection somewhere...why we dont know.
the vet is liasing over the phone with a bristol bunny clinic person....no one at the vets could work out why merlin is ill with the tummy prob

berties pile is massive and very sore.

hes found a bit of comfort with bluebell..theyve been cuddly and washing faces and eyes....not bonding..just like merlin and bertie:love:

merlins in the best place right now.

karen thats lovely of you...but nikki is the toenail clipper:lol:

merlin before the huge double mane grew in!!! aww he was so well behaved.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:wave: Thank you all. please keep em coming those vibes...theres good news we hope!

sasski got rang back by richard in the bristol bunny clinic...sasski had prescence of mind to send the xrays digitally.
richard said it would appear merlins suffering a very simialr condition to a few buns hes dealt with who have the same problems.
it would appear merlins liver has been pushed down by the blockages....and causing the spiky feeling lateral thickening.
the only way for a true diagnosis is laparotomy surgery....but he thinks its necrotic fat:shock:
they are doing trials on similarly affected buns at bristol.....with 10% weight loss and the trials of L-carnatine

today merlin decided he didnt fance being fed...he wanted to eat the veg they gave him..but no hay or the food they had....

i cant get to my wheelie bin or get it out to the road for the binmen...how am i going to pick merlin up!!!!
i also said if hes not eating by himslef with food and hay then im not happy hed ben coming home in case he has a relapse..plus the taxi services are iffy..tjhe roads here are icy...and theyd charge me up to three times the price...and then he could go home and relapse...id be stuck then..wouldnt be able to get to the vets.
however if they really thought hed better off at home then could they drop him off at home:lol:

no she agrees..no surgery...and to carry on with the treatment to see if he can pass the rest of the mass/thickening. he will be on iv meds and fluids....whereas at home itd be oral meds and not as strong.

my bank acount got hacked..natwest kindly closed my account without telling me..or according to them they tried to contact me on the 25th...with telepathy?:lol:
so snow came..i have no debit card......theres nikki credit card for emergencies.....but it accumalates charges as they all do.

but i may have to use it as the cost is going to be best part of £600-£900 and with petplan we have to pay upront and then claim it back...we dont have the cash so tick it up on the plastic..thankfully.

merlin will have to lose 10% of his body weight...which made the nurses and vets baffled as merlins managed to gain weight being in there:oops::lol:

necrotic fat lump/mass can cause scarring and calcifications of tissue which makes sense.

so hopefully hell be ok to come home after the weekend.

omg youd swear billy in your sig was merlins brother!!:lol:

I'm so glad your vet had the presence of mind to contact Bristol and Richard Saunders himself - what an excellent thorough vet you have :D
I'm sorry Merlin is so poorly but it must be a relief atleast to know what is going on because atleast everyone now knows how best to treat and what they are facing. Have everything crossed that the treatment gets Merlin back on his feet in no time and he can lose those extra pounds! ;) Sorry it's all so expensive, I know that feeling! Take care all of you and lots more vibes xx

:wave: thank you soo much.
keep those vibes coming for my furry little fella:love:

ooh is that what his last name was.....sasski wasnt sure.

i hope to collect merlin monday sometime....i will tell sasski then..thanks for that:wave:

yes im lucky......i asked about john chitty but sasski said hes an exotics vet and is up on it all...but a bunvet only sees buns as she explained to me:lol:

our vet at animed will have left next week....so i will be going to these vets all the time now.

its hard to believe its almost a week since dazy-mae got pts and merlin got hospitalised:shock:

yes poor merlin...obviously eating too many pellets. its my fault...i leave bertie to graze where hes been losing weight ...SO NOW ALL 3 BUNS ARE ON PELLETS TWICE A DAY....a little each time. Then graze on hay...and i can add veggies again.

really miss my fuzzy little fewlla...his mane and mutton chops are sweeping...comes in handy on the floor:lol:
joking honest!

oh, no

It all sounds AWFUL. Thank goodness your vets sound so brilliant, and you've got insurance. Very well done you. Lots of vibes that he can pull through. Lots of vibes fr you, coping with it all.

thank you all so much xx

vet rang me this morning and hes still bright and eating veggies and a tiny bit of pellets..yay.

i will contact saski in the morning or whoevers on duty....and arrange a time to collect my little tribble:love:

i will update tomorrow....:wave:

Back