• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need some information about spaying a female who is bonded with a neutered male

loppy ears

Warren Veteran
Please does anybody have some information about the best practice in spaying a rabbit and the aftercare. I think my vet thinks she should be kept separate from the male for a while and I want to find some information to give him to read from a reliable source so that both my rabbits suffer as little stress as possible, Thank you.

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/matchups.asp
Rabbits usually recover much quicker if they are in their usual environment with their partner. Therefore, if only one half of a bonded pair is neutered and it is decided to neuter the other, there is usually no need to separate the pair after the operation unless the remaining rabbit causes distress due to harassment. An initial flurry of mounting activity is often encountered if it is the female that has just been returned because her male partner will be pleased to see her. However, if this behaviour does not settle down within a few minutes, remove the male for a few days until she is fit enough to cope with his advances.

I'm sure there's more stuff out there, but not sure where :?

Faye was spayed today and I took her husbun, Furby, to the vet with her and he is with her now she is in a pen inside. I didn't even consider separating them:oops:

I haven't noticed Furby pestering Faye and she looks happy enough. I think it would have stressed her out separating her from Furby as I only bonded them recently. They were snuggled up in the carrier when I collected them from the vet and he didn't comment about me keeping them together, although the receptionist looked a bit confused to see two buns this morning.

Once my buns are bonded I try never to separate them as they seem to find comfort from each other. That's just my opinion and it has always worked for me - so far!

It's weird as when I had Pippa (kitten) spayed earlier this month I did keep her separate from the other cats overnight - she slept in with me. I hadn't realised before posting this how I treat my fur children differently without being consciously aware of it!

My Inca was bonded with Herbie prior to getting spayed. She was still at Bunnyhops, but kay put her straight back in with Herbie....he did have no incisors tho, so he couldnt really damage her, she just done that herself by taking her stitches out!!

when jasmine was spayed steve went to the vets with her and was there waiting for her in her recovery cage when she was out of the operation, he then traveled home with her and stayed with her all the way through recovery. the vet said not to seperate them unless he stressed her out, but because he was nutered he was fine with her.

i wouldnt seperate if it is possible to keep them together then please do.

Back