• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone with dental buns?-After dentals how long before they can go outside again?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
My lot are going in for dental operations and tear duct flushing. I have one having his incisors out, two with molar spurs being filed down and one for a tear duct flush- all are being done under general anesthetic.

The vet is keeping them in overnight, so that will be the first 24 hours. Is it safe to put them back outside straight away in this weather. They have been out in it and are doing fine.

Or should i keep them in an extra night? I just don't want to risk them not adjusting back to the freezing weather we have.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Last edited:
I usually keep Pipkin in overnight, then leave the windows open in the room he is in for a few hours the next morning, then usually put them back out in the hutch in the afternoon if he seems ok.

When you get them back from the vets maybe you could keep them somewhere cool for a few hours (unheated room/conservatory/garage) and then move them outside?

ETA: Pipkin has never been for a dental when it's been quite as cold as this. Don't know if it would make a difference!

I usually keep Pipkin in overnight, then leave the windows open in the room he is in for a few hours the next morning, then usually put them back out in the hutch in the afternoon if he seems ok.

When you get them back from the vets maybe you could keep them somewhere cool for a few hours (unheated room/conservatory/garage) and then move them outside?

ETA: Pipkin has never been for a dental when it's been quite as cold as this. Don't know if it would make a difference!

Thanks i have a shed i could keep them in, it's not heated, but maybe as a temporary measure that's better than being directly out in hutches etc. After a night i could put them back in there own accommodation.

I kept mine in overnight so i could make sure he was eating drinking etc, and to stop me worrying lol but he was fine , it was only me that kept getting up during the night to check on him . Your vet keeps them overnight ? mine doesnt but he only had a flush and a good file down no actual removals .

When they were outside I kept Grim in overnight and then he goes back out the next afternoon.

Mine are having extractions too. They can't do them at the moment due to the snow. I was thinking about walking it 40 minutes in the snow, but they are saying emergencies only, which mine are not as they can still eat , drink etc. Pushing it though- shadows teeth do look unsightly over his face bless his heart. He is still eating and drinking okay though. So monday is hopefully when he will be in for his surgery.

Back