• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

post castration advice

dilola

New Kit
Hi my bunny was castrated yesterday and I just wanted some advice on his aftercare. He seems ok started eating etc pretty much straight away and I was all for putting him back in his hutch with his sister but the vet said not as it was outside and I should keep him inside at least for a few days and then he should only be allowed in the hutch not the run for 10 days. I just wondered what other people have done with their outside bunnies after the op - is it better to keep him on his own inside or would he be better off back in his own hutch with lola? it is pretty cold at the moment but I'm worried that when I do put him outside the change in temperature will be a real shock. Any advice:? thank you

Hi my bunny was castrated yesterday and I just wanted some advice on his aftercare. He seems ok started eating etc pretty much straight away and I was all for putting him back in his hutch with his sister but the vet said not as it was outside and I should keep him inside at least for a few days and then he should only be allowed in the hutch not the run for 10 days. I just wondered what other people have done with their outside bunnies after the op - is it better to keep him on his own inside or would he be better off back in his own hutch with lola? it is pretty cold at the moment but I'm worried that when I do put him outside the change in temperature will be a real shock. Any advice:? thank you

hmm this is hard, as you have said the temp change may be to much for him as it is bitter outside at the moment, but i really do think he needs his sister, bunnys recover much better when they are with there partners, is there anyway they could both stay indoors for the winter now? and then back outside when it gets warmer? with trying to recover and coping with the temp change may be too much for him, when poppy could spayed i kept her in the conservatory as it has not heating so the temp was not much difference but i kept her with casper all the time she was recovering, i kept her in for 3 days and then let them both back outside, although it was spring when she was spayed, if it was winter i would have kept them both in all winter, i think they do need there partners thou :)

I think you're right about them needing to be together - we really haven't got anywhere inside for them - at the moment he's in an indoor run with a cardboard box for him to sleep in in the kitchen so its not ideal. I did put them in together in the hutch for a bit this morning (until I phoned the vet and they told me to def keep him inside) but was a bit worried as lola kept trying to chase him and mount him - not sure thats great for recovery but maybe after a few days it'll be ok! Thanks for ur advice - feeling worried and guilty whatever I do at the moment!

I think you're right about them needing to be together - we really haven't got anywhere inside for them - at the moment he's in an indoor run with a cardboard box for him to sleep in in the kitchen so its not ideal. I did put them in together in the hutch for a bit this morning (until I phoned the vet and they told me to def keep him inside) but was a bit worried as lola kept trying to chase him and mount him - not sure thats great for recovery but maybe after a few days it'll be ok! Thanks for ur advice - feeling worried and guilty whatever I do at the moment!

Is his sister spayed yet?

its a very difficult situation :( bunnys are meant to be together all the time but mounting him is not the best recovery either like you said, have you got a conservatory or anything a bit colder but not as cold as outside? maybe if you have put him out there after a few days with a heat pad (snuggle safe) and see how he gets on and then the next days open the window to let cold air in, so he gradually gets used to outside again? only a suggestion the best suggestion would be to keep them both in all winter but that would be my second suggestion, and like blackberry said the sister is she spayed? she may not stop this behaviour untill she is if she is not and it may annoy him if she keeps doing it, but that will mean having them both indoors :roll: and females take longer to recover then males as its more of a operation, so that means keeping her inside for longer. its a very hard situation, is there anywhere indoors you could make a area for them? i know some people on here give up half there sitting room :lol: you can buy metal panels that go around furinture and stuff so they dont nibble, may be a bit cosy for a little while but atleast it would solve the problem and then you can have her spayd if she is not already, plus approx 80% of unspayed females will get cancer at some point in there life if not spayed which is a very big per centage! sorry for rambling on just thought i would give enough pointers :lol:

Last edited:
Back