• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do they have enough space?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Emotions running high my mind went into over-drive and i can't stop thinking!

Do i give them enough free-range space?

Their base is a 4ft dog crate (so measures 4ft x 2.5 ft) with an attached pen for over night. (i'd love to extend this, but the house is not ours and so difficult to 'permanently' bunny proof).

During the day (6:30am > 5pm) they have the above setup + the run of our hallway which is 14ft x 3.5ft.

In the evening (5pm > 11pm/12am), while we are both there, they have the dog crate + living room (10ft x 15ft maybe? Not Measured it!) + hallway.

Am i giving them enough space?

For those of you who dont know my two, they are 2x dwarf lops, one 9 months old and one 6 months old.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

ETA: Mods - sorry if i put this in the wrong place, i wonder if it should of been in housing, but i wasn't sure, so went for the easy option.

I don't have house bunnies, or indeed a bunny couple, but the set-up sounds (and looks from photos) excellent to me.:thumb: I think access to the hallway during the day is a particularly good feature as it must be ideal for binkies.

I think that's a lovely space to have. :thumb:

There are so many mahoosive set ups on here that it's easy to feel quite inadequate sometimes but I'm sure the buns are happy with what they have. :D

its sounds fine - stop worrying! we can't all live in a mansion:lol: we had to downsize last year but my lot are still happy - in fact, eric only uses the living room in this house, even tho he has access to upstairs (scardey cat!)

I think that's a lovely space to have. :thumb:

There are so many mahoosive set ups on here that it's easy to feel quite inadequate sometimes
but I'm sure the buns are happy with what they have. :D

This is basically why i asked.

Theres been a lot of accomodation threads lately, where people have had apparently 'sub standard' accomodation mentioned to them, and as i'm in a bit of a mess in my head it started me off thinking "am i mean?" :oops:

Wish i did live in a mansion PennyPoos - i'd have so many more rescue buns!

I think everyone questions what they can offer. I know I do. My set up is smaller than yours Gray, so I feel yours is amazing

Graham hun the set up your buns have is superb and they have lots of things to stimulate them & keep them amused which tbh is as is important as space.

You are a great bunny dad and you really couldn't have given Biccy & Ginger a better home :D

It's absolutely fine, stop worrying!

Bit off topic, but hubby got in from work in the early hours of the morning and could hear someone moving around upstairs. When he went up to investigate it was Louie running around on the landing!

Don't know how he managed it but I suppose he will be off up there every night now!

they have loads of space :D do they actually make use of it tho?? my pair dont move unless its food time :?

It's absolutely fine, stop worrying!

Bit off topic, but hubby got in from work in the early hours of the morning and could hear someone moving around upstairs. When he went up to investigate it was Louie running around on the landing!

Don't know how he managed it but I suppose he will be off up there every night now!

How very random - especially for a blind bunny :shock:

they have loads of space :D do they actually make use of it tho?? my pair dont move unless its food time :?

They seem to in the morning, and later on in the evening, but most of the day is spent hiding in the dog crate, or in the adjoining pen section between the dog crate and the hallway :roll: Then you hear the occasional run up the hallway, Ginger throwing herself at a wall and then getting up and running back!

:lol: :lol:

You think im joking? That girl has more energy than she thinks. She binkies, and surprises herself with how strong she is. Frequently ends up bashing against walls and doors and pen panels :roll:

Shocks me sometimes, she can already jump 2 feet off the ground in an attempt to escape their old pen...But can't quite get over it. So her front paws drape over and she just sits there, quiet as a mouse until i pick her up and put her down on the ground again. Bless.

You think im joking? That girl has more energy than she thinks. She binkies, and surprises herself with how strong she is. Frequently ends up bashing against walls and doors and pen panels :roll:

Shocks me sometimes, she can already jump 2 feet off the ground in an attempt to escape their old pen...But can't quite get over it. So her front paws drape over and she just sits there, quiet as a mouse until i pick her up and put her down on the ground again. Bless.

:love: reminds me of Pearl, she was mega playful and active :love:

Hahaha oh bunnies antics do make me laugh!

I was worried that since bringing the bunnies in they've not got as much room as they had in the aviary .... but after working it out, they probably have about the same (maybe a couple of sq ft under) but its in a different shape!

My two love bombing up and down the landing, as I imagine your two do in your hallway, so don't worry so much!

Love watching n wondering what they're gonna get up to next!

Graham - they have a really fab set up - i wish i had mine inside like that but they get more space in a cold outhouse. :(

My two are nowhere near as active as you mention!! They mainly flop or occasionally run like loonies around my feet. They must think if they trip me up they can steal all the food i'm carrying!! :lol:

Back