• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

back legs and the cold, help.

footballgirl

Alpha Buck
hi, mum got up to feed rosi today, she lives in 42inch dog crate in living room, shut away at night til we get a fire guard. Anyway, she didn't come over for her pellets, flopped over and couldn't get her back legs to work. I wasn't there so this is mums description, she said rosi was dragging them, pulled the legs under her body, sat on them for a bit before being completely fine. I've checked on her and she will stand on her back legs like normal, she's munched through some pellets. Mum said if she does get ill that will have to go to a local vet, loads of snow here and my usual is 30mins away, but I dnt trust either vet for various reasons. My theory is at night the house gets really cold, old house, and with the heating on during the day, rosi is feeling the cold and not able to run it off. Were gonna make a makeshift blockade of the fireplace so she can stay out tonight.

My question is, could the cold cause her legs to go like that?

Side note, she was panacured (9day course) middle of november.

Thank you

It's impossible to give a definitive answer without examining her.

She may have had a muscle cramp, but she my have a spinal injury (which could be made MUCH worse by movement) or she could have a neurological problem or arthritis (causing pain).

Personally I would want to get her to a Vet today.

I would want the vet to check out my bun if she was like this.

My Inca recently had hind leg paralysis caused by EC. She has been panacured for 28 days 4 months prior. She was able to use her legs most of the time, but would just get herself into positions where she couldnt get herself back up from time to time (usually when i was out, and i would come in to her covered in poo and wee :()

A quick vet check would put your mind at ease and get bun on the right meds and the road to recovery.

It's impossible to give a definitive answer without examining her.

She may have had a muscle cramp, but she my have a spinal injury (which could be made MUCH worse by movement) or she could have a neurological problem or arthritis (causing pain).

Personally I would want to get her to a Vet today.

thank you for replying.

Typical this happens in this weather. I really don't trust the local vets, I'm sure they will cause more harm. I think I'll keep watch, she has a heat pad, forgot to mention earlier that her crate is under the window and beside the fireplace so a high possibilities if draughts. I'll watch her and if it happens again, I'll ring my usual vet and vet there opinion. I do have some spare metacam if need be. I really think its the cold but now I'm not sure. it was freezing down there.

thanks again

Why not call the vet anyway and ask their expertise? Can't do any harm!

I think I will do. just I'm not good on the phone and I'm already feeling dodgy with rosi this mornin. I'll give it a bit so I can calm down and actually make sense. I'm home alday everyday anyway so I can sit and watch her alday.

right, I have been watching her very closely. She's been jumping in and out of her crate fine, been jumping into her litter tray, peed and pooed, drunk water and munched on her hay. I felt her ears, felt her usual temperature. she's currently acting as she normal does atm, dozing by the patio doors, so she has a new fleece there and a snugglesafe. I'm still gonna watch her alday though and my dad is gonna help me block the fireplace for tonight so she can free-range permanently.

I'll post if there's any change.

thank u again.

i just came on her for some advice because i've been having exactly the same problems as football girl. Penny was dragging her left hind leg when i went out to feed her this morning. Checked on the net and read about e.c. She is recovering from an ear infection and has been incontenant for the past 8 months. She's been vets twice for the incontenance but we've had no joy. I've got an appointment this morning so i'll see what they say. Anyone had any joy treating e.c in there bun?

Anyone had any joy treating e.c in there bun?

Yip, i have. So have loads of people on here.
If thats what it is, then a 28day or 6week (conflicting recommendations) course of panacur will be needed. Buns can recover well from EC.

thanks kermint, gonna take her vets. Let u all know how she gets on later. Gd luck football girl.

thanks kermint, gonna take her vets. Let u all know how she gets on later. Gd luck football girl.

was at vet checking site on my phone and it resubmitted my post. i am really annoyed now. vet wanted to put her to sleep. said it cant be e.c because she has no head tilt. she has lost alot of weight. he gave me panacure and loxicam. i'm going to keep her indoors for a few days to see if that helps. anyone know of a really gd rabbit vet in leicester?

Last edited:
was at vet checking site on my phone and it resubmitted my post. i am really annoyed now. vet wanted to put her to sleep. said it cant be e.c because she has no head tilt. she has lost alot of weight. he gave me panacure and loxicam. i'm going to keep her indoors for a few days to see if that helps. anyone know of a really gd rabbit vet in leicester?

Hi,

sorry to hear about your bunny. I can't help with vets in leicester, perhaps start a new thread with vets in leicester as the thread title. I believe one of the rescues on here are leicester based aswell, so they can help hopefully. good luck and I hope your bunny improves x

Back