• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bio-lapis

FudgeTort

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, Brian is on long term baytril and when he went for a check up yesterday, I had to see a different vet. She said she was reluctant to have him on baytril constantly without any breaks and wanted to try week on, week off, or something similar. Now I've tried this with him before and his symptoms just get worse within a few days of being off the meds. (Its chronic pasturella)

She suggested that I use bio lapis for him, and told me to buy it online since its much cheaper.

Is this the best thing to get for him, or is there a better product that anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance xx

Bio lapis is great to use daily if bun likes it, mine don't, so for long term use I would use protexin profibre pellets instead. I don't like avipro as it has added sugars. Fibreplex paste is great but is only really designed for 2-3 days use.

Personally I would not want to do off and on baytril as this only encourages resistance, but then for chronic pasturella I would not want to be using only baytril full stop, I don't believe it is effective enough. I would potentially want bun off the baytril and a high nasal swab done to isolate the main causative agent or put bun on a combination of much stronger off license abx therapy combined with use of bisolvon if needed and a nebuliser to open up the airways as well as NSAID's to reduce inflammation and swelling of the respiratory passages.

Bio lapis is great to use daily if bun likes it, mine don't, so for long term use I would use protexin profibre pellets instead. I don't like avipro as it has added sugars. Fibreplex paste is great but is only really designed for 2-3 days use.

Personally I would not want to do off and on baytril as this only encourages resistance, but then for chronic pasturella I would not want to be using only baytril full stop, I don't believe it is effective enough. I would potentially want bun off the baytril and a high nasal swab done to isolate the main causative agent or put bun on a combination of much stronger off license abx therapy combined with use of bisolvon if needed and a nebuliser to open up the airways as well as NSAID's to reduce inflammation and swelling of the respiratory passages.

Thank you for your reply.
How do the pellets work? Are my bunnies likely to just eat them as they are? I looked on vet uk and think the pellets actually work out cheaper anyway. (Not that cost is my main worry!)
He had a nasal swab done a while back, and they found pasturella, and they said it was sensitive to the baytril. He has had various different medications, injections and orally, and baytril seems to be the only thing that touches it.
He is also having daily bisolven powder, which does help massively.

I give my Inca some protexin pro-fibre pellets every day, she loves them and thinks of them as a treat :)

You just give them as they are.

I give her about half the scoop that comes with the tub.

I give my Inca some protexin pro-fibre pellets every day, she loves them and thinks of them as a treat :)

You just give them as they are.

I give her about half the scoop that comes with the tub.

Thank you :wave:

Do you get them from vet uk?

Back