• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Live Penguins in Hamleys

Yet another case of innocent animals being exploited, totally unnecessary and I would go so far as to say very cruel

Susie Bun, oh no I should just say that its a promotional event at Hamleys, there is nothing bad being shown on the link.....just that they are having an in-store event where they will have live penguins "waddling in to the store" :roll: for children to come and see.

I have only posted in case any one wanted to write a letter or email to them.

I didnt want to generally upset people for no reason, if you see what I mean.

Poor penguins :( I love penguins.
Looks like there will be reindeer as well. There were reindeer in a store I used to work in one Christmas. They seemed alright but it must have been stressful for them because it was so busy.

I saw this on animal aid's facebook page. Every one needs to contact Hamleys and tell them what they are doing is wrong.
Hamleys is always packed, it's hot and loud. No place for penguins.

I looked at the link, and however nicely they choose to word the promotion I do think there is potential for penguins to become unnecessarily distressed. :(

I think the idea of letting the kids get close to animals (in a controlled way) is good, but dragging the poor things into a store is shocking :(
I agree with letting them learn and have good animal experiences but not at the expense of the animals welfare :(

Sounds to me like it'll be a zoo-like habitat set up so although zoo's aren't as good as the wild of course, it doesnt sound too bad to me.

I think it would depend on where they are keeping the penguins .... it says 'visit them in their penguin pool' so presumably it will be more like a zoo set up rather than the penguins literally waddling through the shop itself.

It would be interesting to know exactly what they mean and what they're intending to do.

If it's anything like their current atrocious reindeer set up:
http://www.wildlifephotography.tv/the-saddest-pictures-ive-ever-taken/

It's horrific! They're doing it as "education for kids" - uh NO. You're a toy shop, have some animatronic penguins and reindeer! The kids can touch those and people won't rage at you either. For petes sake, if kids want to learn about real life reindeer and penguins they can go to London zoo where the animals can pretty much get away from the screaming children and flashing camera bulbs - that WON'T happen in a toy shop in the busiest time of year.

GAH! *fumes* :censored::censored::censored:

I went into a pet shop near me and they're selling Monkeys and Meerkats :roll::roll:...one customer walked by and said 'do they have to be in an encolsure that big: :roll: it was about 8ftx5/6ft but split in halft length ways, monkes at top, meerkats on bottom.

I went into a pet shop near me and they're selling Monkeys and Meerkats :roll::roll:...one customer walked by and said 'do they have to be in an encolsure that big: :roll: it was about 8ftx5/6ft but split in halft length ways, monkes at top, meerkats on bottom.

Yeah I saw the thread about this - just awful, really really awful. :cry::cry:

Back