• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Back outdoors after spay?

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
Tried to post his hours ago but my PC seemed to go funny and RU didn't seem to work.

Faye is being spayed tomorrow. Given the freezing temperatures at the moment I am wondering if she will be OK going back outside afterwards? She is bonded with Furby and he will be going to the vet as well as company for her. He has a lovely thick coat but hers isn't so thick.

They were indoors being bonded recently but I didn't have any heating on and it wasn't so cold outside then so the difference wasn't as great as it is now. Even with no heating, my house is much warmer than outside.

Am really undecided what to do. I don't want to keep Faye and Furby in all winter as the run is too small for permanent use and they were very fed-up inside. Outside they have a hutch and a run combined.

My snugglesafes are old and not very efficient but I could go and buy a new one tomorrow or use a brick as I have seen suggested on here. Their sleeping compartment has straw and hay and a blankie in it - but they seem to prefer sitting in their run:(

When Furby was neutered I put him straight back in his hutch/run and he was fine - but it was nowhere near as cold then - and I know a neuter isn't as big an op as a spay.

Am a bit confused as to what to do for the best. Both Furby and Faye really didn't like it indoors and I don't want to stress them and risk stasis - but I don't want poor Faye to freeze either.

No, if she is being speyed then she will need to be kept indoors and kept warm, they should also be put on 7 days bed rest so that they don't herniate, they really do need to be looked after as it's a very big operation

Maybe I should have delayed the spay until the weather is better but she is booked in for today:shock:

I have an old house and my heating is either off or on - I don't have radiators with individual thermostats or the ability to turn on or off.

My other option is to keep her in tonight and turn the heating off (just worried pipes and things will freeze) and then put her (and Furby) in my small, spare hutch, tomorrow. That's in a more sheltered position in between my house and my neighbours and is small enough for me to fill it completely with straw/hay, blanket and snugglesafe(s). She won't be able to climb or move around too much.

When she was indoors she continually escaped out of the run - I never did work out how as it had a net and blanket on the top!!

Will have a chat with my vet and see what he recommends. I do have a small indoor bunny cage I was recently given but I think that is too small for her and Furby really and may stress them out too much. Furby has only just started eating properly again and I don't want to stress him.

Bunnies are such a worry. I know I will be a wreck today until I can 'phone and check she is OK.

Faye is OK:)

I asked the vet's opinion about keeping her in or putting her outside and he kept changing his mind - so was pretty useless!! He eventually said to keep her in tonight and see how she is tomorrow.

I've put her and Furby in a pen in the lounge and will see what the temperature is like tomorrow. If it's not too cold and she seems her usual self I will put her back outside. I bought a new snugglesafe today so that should keep her cosy. The vet said she came around very quickly. She isn't talking to me at the moment though - I am definitely a Bad Bunny Mummy as far as Faye is concerned.

Just relieved she is OK and I have her home. I have just left her be with hay, food, water and her husbun. I'll check on her later but she came out of the carrier into the run of her own accord. I've left the carrier with their bed in it in the pen so she can hide in there if she feels sleepy or unwell. I know Pippa just wanted to be left alone after her spay and then came up to me for cuddles once she felt better. I know she is a kitten, not a bunny, but it's the same principle.

Will let Faye have a couple of fenucreek crunchies later - I expect I will be forgiven then:)

Glad everything went well. We will have the same problem with Babs as she has been at the vets 2 nights now with Geoff. But they are going to have to go back out in the cold tomorrow as Geoff hates being inside and there is no way I am breaking their bond :?

Back