• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pure pasture meadow hay

this is my fave pre-packaged hay :wave: if i couldnt get hay by the bale i would go back to the pure pastures :D

Yes it's good, I found a couple of sharp thorns like a stalk of them, in the bag last night though I always give it a good shake out before putting it in the buns trays or shed.

I use it too and my bunny seems to like it. It's not terribly expensive and the large pack is pretty big so ideal for use as a bedding hay:D

Its really cheap, which is a plus. I opened my bag yesterday though and realised why. It is very sharp, got a good few splinters off it. It is chopped short too. Not very cosy, P@H's standard cheap hay is much better for bedding IMO than this. Bunny had a nibble of one longer piece then dropped it in disgust.

ETA: sorry forgot to add it has quite a few heads of the hay and little bits of extras in, and he did pick these out.

Last edited:
Its really cheap, which is a plus. I opened my bag yesterday though and realised why. It is very sharp, got a good few splinters off it. It is chopped short too. Not very cosy, P@H's standard cheap hay is much better for bedding IMO than this. Bunny had a nibble of one longer piece then dropped it in disgust.

ETA: sorry forgot to add it has quite a few heads of the hay and little bits of extras in, and he did pick these out.

As I said before, mine have this for bedding, but Oxbow Western Timothy for eating. They will nibble a bit of it - but hate the P @ H stuff.

I don't use it as I get mine by the bale for £4.50 for nice hay which also works out alot cheaper, especially if you have rexes which need a nice thick layer of hay to help with their hocks. I keep the bale in an old duvet cover to protect the car when I transport it and keep the garage tidy where I store it.

If you means of transporting and storing a bale, you could start a thread about where you can get decent bales of hay in your area. If you are near a horse supply shop they sometimes sell a big bag for £1 which is also cheaper :wave:

Hi!

Gonaa sound abit silly here -but whats the difference between a bale of "Meadow Hay" to "Pure pasture meadow hay"?

Isnt meadow hay just meadow hay?

I buy bales of meadow hay which my buns adore....it helps if oyu can guve fresh handfuls often...they get excited about the smell & seem to eat more this way....mine do anyway!:D
I pay about £6 for a bale and store it in a shed.....hoping it will be fine there this winter....it lasts for ages & as you have rex's would be ideal in being able to layer alot down for their soft hocks and not worry about costs!:D

Ive also given oat hay - which my girls go mad for - from Hay Experts...and also timothy/chamomile, timothy by itself & excel foarge with dandelions...which I ration as too much gives mine messy bums.
If I could by timothy in a bale I would, as well as the oat hays.

If you can keep meadow hay as their main hay -it would probably be the cheapest option in the long run....its hard if you have fussy eaters & starts costing abit more. Then add various other hays as an extra for variation!:wave:

Gonaa sound abit silly here -but whats the difference between a bale of "Meadow Hay" to "Pure pasture meadow hay"?

Isnt meadow hay just meadow hay?

As far as I can work out it's just the same stuff, but more expensive in smaller bags, and chopped up a bit. Meadow hay will vary from farm to farm and over the course of the year. It's probably better to get a bale if you've got an easy reliable source and your rabbits like the hay.

I've just started using Pure Pastures again. It seems to be cut a bit shorter and be a bit dustier than it used to be. Might just be my memory playing tricks on me. My rabbits like it anyway (to eat), but I'm going to try some Nature's Own next.

It's a million times better than the PAH stuff though- that's cut ridiculously short - only suitable for bedding.

It's now gone up to £3 per bag so I'm not sure that's really cheap - I've found a few nasty thorny strands in mine I always decant out of the bag and carefully separate it and move it around and have had a couple of nasty nicks from thorns - I think it's unavoidable with this type of product - it is quite variable though this hay I have had some lovely bags and some not so great.

It's now gone up to £3 per bag so I'm not sure that's really cheap - I've found a few nasty thorny strands in mine I always decant out of the bag and carefully separate it and move it around and have had a couple of nasty nicks from thorns - I think it's unavoidable with this type of product - it is quite variable though this hay I have had some lovely bags and some not so great.

Do you mean buying in bales or the small bags? I'm on the look out for cheap litter box hay as all eating hay is costing me over £8 a kg now fussy thing :roll:

I think I must have gotten a bad batch most pieces are about 2 maybe 3 inches in my bag and so spikey!

Back