• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I need to give more pellets when it's as cold as this?

kirst25

Alpha Buck
Soph n Alfie are woofing them down and always seem
Hungry,giving plenty of hay but not sure if to up the amount of pellets

I've been slipping Spenser extras, although trying not to as I also want him to eat more hay. He's outside though, and it's mega-cold! :shock:

They will burn up more energy keeping warm, although I would think this is less necessary for indoor buns.

Ive given the little girly a few extra as shes a skinny bum anyway but flatly refuse to give Indy any more as his hay eating is dire as it is!:lol:

Ive given the little girly a few extra as shes a skinny bum anyway but flatly refuse to give Indy any more as his hay eating is dire as it is!:lol:

In that case I'd advise you to weigh him every 3 -4 days. If he is a poor hay eater on restricted pellets he will really struggle to maintain his weight in this extremely cold weather. Two consecutive drops in weight and personally I would up his pellets :)

Spenser's not the greatest of hay eaters, but I'm giving him extra pellets. He's a single bunny, so only has his hay and blankets to snuggle. He's been eating his hay better since I started buying the sample packs from Animal Magic. I think he is a fussy boy who likes variety. :roll:

In that case I'd advise you to weigh him every 3 -4 days. If he is a poor hay eater on restricted pellets he will really struggle to maintain his weight in this extremely cold weather. Two consecutive drops in weight and personally I would up his pellets :)

They both get weighed every three days anyway as the little one was so skinny when we got her. He's still gaining and growing slowly. The little doe has gained 5oz in 3 weeks so we're just keeping an eye on her.

Mine get no pellets (a bit too porky still) but ad lib hay as usual and a few extra veggies.
but they've got each other to snuggle into

Back