• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best pellet? and how long should they be on junior food?hay?

rabbitdan

Mama Doe
hi

as you know ive got 2 13 week old mini rex's. At the moment they are on P@H junior rabbit nuggets. Obviously they will stay on this for a while. What is a good pellet to move on to? and how long should they be on junior food?

at the moment they have standard pets at home hay. they seem to like it. there are green bits in it and they like these the best! I have been told that P@H hay is rubbish, but my 2 seem to like it! :? if it is rubbish please could you tell me a good hay.

thank you

P@H hay is really rubbish, when you get good hay you'll see the difference. P@H is short strands, proper hay is nice long strands. Try to get a bale, that's the best way if you have place to store it, maybe ask on here for recommendations near you.

As for best pellet I have no idea what P@H pellets are like. You want to look at the fibre and protein content, you want the fibre to be more than the protein at least. Better, you want fibre to be as high as poss. Science Selective we have used for a couple of years and had no problems.

Id slowly, over a period of a few weeks, change them over to another brand :) Start with one pellet and increase. I reccomend science selective. It really is great and my two do wonderfully on it, nice coats and a good weight. My last rabbit did poorly on excel, would not reccomend it as would others. Pets at home hay is really poor quality, as has been said the strands are short which are pretty much useless for wearing down teeth although it may be yummy for the rabbits you could maybe mix it in with other good hay :)

Id slowly, over a period of a few weeks, change them over to another brand :) Start with one pellet and increase. I reccomend science selective. It really is great and my two do wonderfully on it, nice coats and a good weight. My last rabbit did poorly on excel, would not reccomend it as would others. Pets at home hay is really poor quality, as has been said the strands are short which are pretty much useless for wearing down teeth although it may be yummy for the rabbits you could maybe mix it in with other good hay :)

im so confused with hay! ive looked on hay experts and there are loads! are they any different nutricionally? (sp?)

Bleurghhhh mine are fed, Dodson and Horrell Rabbit Royale with Science Selective mixed in - they have meadow, oat hay or oat wheat and barley or readigrass or burgess excell with marigolds in it (can't remember the exact name it's a last resort) I've even done their litter trays in it rather than the **** from PAH it's dire, even despite consumer advice they haven't sourced better hay suppliers. Beggars belief their buyers are having a laugh.

im so confused with hay! ive looked on hay experts and there are loads! are they any different nutricionally? (sp?)

Do you have any farms near you at all? or any local pet shops other than pets at home? My local pet shop sell burns hay which is really good. Dont think any hay is different from the rest except alfalfa which should only be fed as a treat :) As a rule the stalkier hays (thicker strands) are better for the teeth where as thinner strands of hay i tend to use for bedding but they still eat it.

Bleurghhhh mine are fed, Dodson and Horrell Rabbit Royale with Science Selective mixed in - they have meadow, oat hay or oat wheat and barley or readigrass or burgess excell with marigolds in it (can't remember the exact name it's a last resort) I've even done their litter trays in it rather than the **** from PAH it's dire, even despite consumer advice they haven't sourced better hay suppliers. Beggars belief their buyers are having a laugh.

now this annoys me because new owners wont have the slightest clue its useless, i know i didnt and i bought from p@h. My lot didnt touch it though, good taste :lol:

now this annoys me because new owners wont have the slightest clue its useless, i know i didnt and i bought from p@h. My lot didnt touch it though, good taste :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: I was all ready with the camera then mine are very healthy bunnies on their diet - I should add they also get a good size portion of spring greens/kale/carrots with tops and herbs every day without fail in a combination of 3 everyday, so today they had Kale 1 good size stalk this morning - then tonight another with a spring green leaf and some flat leaf parsley tomoz they will get some dill with spring greens Weds maybe carrot with top and brocolli and a small bit of apple. Variety is the spice of life, in moderation.

Back