• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

School Bunnies U/D impressed

Daisylop

Mama Doe
My son has just informed me that the empty hutch at their school has been filled:( by 2 bunnies who today have gone for neutering!!!:( Hopefully whichever bright spark decided to get 2 bunnies will have them indoors tonight and not out in the hutch. Why didnt they ask what parents thought about having bunnies? Would it be ok if I went to school tomorrow and asked to see the bunny accommodation etc? [or would they think"here she goes again"?] Whats going to happen to the little souls at weekends and holidays? From what I can remember there is no grass in the quad where they will be kept :( I'm so angry!!!:evil:

[I have visions of me ending up with 6 bunnies :(:(:(]

Last edited:
Id go in & say that its wonderful they are teaching kids about neutering - can you see how the bunnies are doing? then you can proceed on asking the relevant questions and even suggest a rescue comes in to talk to the children seem as the neuter has just happened - make it an educational "event" so to speak. Its hard to not interfere but the uns cant speak up -and it is their lives in our hands so go in and have a chat - they cant say that you cant see them & they do have to provide a good example. If the accomadation is not sufficient you can provide them with a brochure with ideas and examples..if space is an issue then perhaps the scholl should rethink rabbist as their school pets.;)

I have dug out some RWAF leaflets that I will "offer" the school.Hopefully tonight both bunnies are inside,warm and with sufficient pain relief.:(

Surely the vets will tell them the rabbits need to be inside? But then what about children allergic to fur or hay, it could even set off athsma. Apart from teaching the kids how to properly care for a rabbit, I don't see how it else it benefit either :?

My son has just informed me that the empty hutch at their school has been filled:( by 2 bunnies who today have gone for neutering!!!:( Hopefully whichever bright spark decided to get 2 bunnies will have them indoors tonight and not out in the hutch. Why didnt they ask what parents thought about having bunnies? Would it be ok if I went to school tomorrow and asked to see the bunny accommodation etc? [or would they think"here she goes again"?] Whats going to happen to the little souls at weekends and holidays? From what I can remember there is no grass in the quad where they will be kept :( I'm so angry!!!:evil:

[I have visions of me ending up with 6 bunnies :(:(:(]

You are a parent of a child at the school, so why should you not ask about the rabbits?

The school is supposed to be filled with professional educators who should have the intellectual capability to understand all of the implications of keeping rabbits - or know who to ask.

They should have planned out all of the accommodation needs, vet care, holiday arrangements, etc.

I hope it's not an ill-thought-out plan with some vague expectation that some child's family will cover the non-school periods. If they "fail to plan", then they "plan to fail". If so, the poor rabbits will be the victims of the school's incompetence.

Many rabbit welfare organisations explicitly advise against keeping rabbits as school pets.

Good luck with this.

They should have planned out all of the accommodation needs, vet care, holiday arrangements, etc.

I hope it's not an ill-thought-out plan with some vague expectation that some child's family will cover the non-school periods.

Like the guinea pigs that used to come to us [amongst others] for their "holidays"!!:?

saw the bunnys last night whilst at school for the Christmas concert and I must say I'm impressed. The head apologised to me for the fact they were in a hutch [without me saying anything] but a playhouse is on order for them :D-during the day they will be free range in the quad-an enclosed grassy area-pupils wont be allowed to just go and pick them up etc. she had taken the hutch indoors last night as a cold night was forecast and she didnt like the thought of them being cold.The bunnies had unlimited hay,they were on a mueseli type food [I thought I'd keep quiet about that at the min but will chat to her about selective feeding later].During holidays they will go home with her [she sounded as if she really loved these bunnies :love:].At her last school they had 14 bunnys :shock::shock::shock: [at this point I had visions of "bonding" as part of the curriculum but no ,they were kept in separate pairs as she knows that bunnies need company of their own kind,so on the whole I'm happy :D

Back